Notify
Tools

Rebounding hammer question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
I'm reading an old Guns and Ammo annual from the early 1970s and I noticed a pic of some Jones under lever, exposed hammer double rifles. One caption stated the rifle a rebounding hammer that was converted from a non rebounding hammer.

My question for those of you (MAC) that have forgot more about doubles than I will ever know is this: what is the procedure for such a conversion? Is it cost effective to do so? My reasoning is I have many non rebounding doubles that are a pain as I often forget to cock back to half after firing (as most of my hammer doubles are of the rebounding variety).

What say you?
Thanks for your time in responding.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
I'm reading an old Guns and Ammo annual from the early 1970s and I noticed a pic of some Jones under lever, exposed hammer double rifles. One caption stated the rifle a rebounding hammer that was converted from a non rebounding hammer.

My question for those of you (MAC) that have forgot more about doubles than I will ever know is this: what is the procedure for such a conversion? Is it cost effective to do so? My reasoning is I have many non rebounding doubles that are a pain as I often forget to cock back to half after firing (as most of my hammer doubles are of the rebounding variety).

What say you?
Thanks for your time in responding.
Cal

There are many different rebounding hammer guns and rifles. Most are fitted with a small leaf spring the is contacted by the inside tumbler of the hammer that is contacted just before the hammer hits the striker and is weak enough so as not to retard the hammer hitting the striker and strong enough to rebound the hammer away from the external striker. This can be done by almost any skilled double rifle smith. The cost is depended on the complexity of the side locks room for the extra parts.

I have four exposed hammer doubles and all are side-lock with rebounding hammers. I suppose I could take the locks off them and take some close-up pictures but I have zero idea how to post the pictures on the internet. Maybe I can get my son to post them for me or maybe take the camera stick to Walgreens and print them and mail them to you.

................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
This is my Alex Henry 577 which has had this conversion done.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
if you look at the picture Ben posted of his lock you can see the shelf that the short leg of the original spring rested upon just behind the sear spring. To convert to rebounding locks new main springs and tumbler are required. A very big job and not one that many are qualified to do. Old hat for British smiths in the 1870's but labor is a good deal more costly today.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thank you MAC, Ben and skb. As always the AR membership is there when needed.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never ceases to amaze me looking at locks. The ingenuity and workmanship.

DRSS

Posts: 1929 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote