THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Collapse in vintage DR prices..?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collapse in vintage DR prices..?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I don't see these prices as an indicator of a collapse, they were just too high to start.
The WR is a nice rifle, but has its issues - stock lengthening being one.
The Manton is a beauty IMO, but it has always been tough to get a 360No.2 to sell and I don't think I have seen any go close to $20K so I think the new price is right on. I would love to have it!
The screw grip 500bpe on his site really gets me going though!

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He doesn't have the screw grip 500 bpe any more, I do. I've loaded up some different loads for it. Now I have to shoot it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huvius, ditto on that Manton....its a real gem.. tu2

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Consider the source. Mike Schwandt is historiclly WAY over priced to begin with. Perhaps after several years he is beginning to figure it out. Just my opinion...

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Manton could be a great candidate for re-chambering to 9.3x74, especially with its weight. Ammo would certainly no longer be a problem, and performance would step up some...

Might check with some of the experts about impact to collector value, but utility would probably offset that to most owners. And if you're no longer worried about collector value, add a claw mount scope...

Good hunting,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the larger auction house prices. Much lower prices being realized. Prices are settling back to 1980 prices. Certainly the ele ivory import ban has had some affect but I attribute the greater diminution in value to the affordability and access to new manufactured rifles of extremely good quality.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I am afraid the Millennial's won't see the Nostalgia in old British doubles. Frowner

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
That Manton could be a great candidate for re-chambering to 9.3x74, especially with its weight. Ammo would certainly no longer be a problem, and performance would step up some...

Negative.
We are talking the 360No.2 which cannot be rechambered to anything really. Unless the barrels are overly thick and then I suppose it could be rebored/rechambered to a 450/400 but I doubt there is a rifle with that much meat in the barrels.
You are thinking of the 400/360 which was often rechambered to 9.3X74R.
Even today, the No.2 is not very well known and certainly underappreciated.
Its 320gr bullet can penetrate like few others and on a frontal chest shot rip a lion a new asshole.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
He doesn't have the screw grip 500 bpe any more, I do. I've loaded up some different loads for it. Now I have to shoot it.

Dave

Please post a report.
I contend that the 500bpe can be the perfect North American cartidge for the hand loader.
I have just one, an Alex Henry hammer gun, and I plan on shooting my Webley single as one to start with. The Henry is a joy to shoot!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Me thinks "collapse" is too strong a word. I have seen a decline in prices over the past 2 years or so. Why? Two reasons: 1) when prices were high(er) many put their doubles on the market hoping to cash in. Then, the market became flooded. Many of those rifles remain for sale today. 2) An increase in new doubles that are low priced drove many wanting a double to the new products over the vintage products. I remember one gent telling me when he asked the price of a double I was selling, "Remember I can get a Sabatti for $5000." I told him to buy a Sabatti. The reality is many would prefer a new double rather than a vintage double if the price is about the same.

The above said, high end doubles are still holidng their own as the folks who buy them still have the money to play with. Those that must save and sacrifice to get a $5K double will get the best bargain they can find.

Just saying…
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal is right on the money, but there is another component to the decrease. A ton of quality double rifles were brought into the US by the English makers that were bought from the vast collections of the India Princes in the late 60's and into the 70's. The collectors who bought them at that time are getting to an age that they are selling their collections off (or their estates are). My friend sold off his vast collection of big bore English double rifles last year that he started collecting in the 60's. The quote on the young people not interested in the antique stuff is also on the money. The same thing will (is) happening to the antique car world.

Posts: 80 | Location: Toronto, Ohio | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:

Negative.
We are talking the 360No.2 which cannot be rechambered to anything really. Unless the barrels are overly thick and then I suppose it could be rebored/rechambered to a 450/400 but I doubt there is a rifle with that much meat in the barrels.
You are thinking of the 400/360 which was often rechambered to 9.3X74R.
Even today, the No.2 is not very well known and certainly underappreciated.
Its 320gr bullet can penetrate like few others and on a frontal chest shot rip a lion a new asshole.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GDavidson:
Cal is right on the money, but there is another component to the decrease. A ton of quality double rifles were brought into the US by the English makers that were bought from the vast collections of the India Princes in the late 60's and into the 70's. The collectors who bought them at that time are getting to an age that they are selling their collections off (or their estates are). My friend sold off his vast collection of big bore English double rifles last year that he started collecting in the 60's. The quote on the young people not interested in the antique stuff is also on the money. The same thing will (is) happening to the antique car world.

True and I apologize I did not include this. I've seen many collections on the market and know of many more that will come up for sale in teh near future.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reality is 98% of the gun owning population that is under 40 has no idea what a double rifle is, nor any inclination to learn. The demand for double rifles is steadily declining. Nitro doubles, especially those chambered for calibers that have zero commercial manufacture, will languish in value much the way they did in post 1960? . The .360 variations are the best example.

I for one am stoked. The retail prices at places like Schwandt, Steve Barnett, osprey, lewis&Drake, cannot sustain the lack of 98% of gun owners not even remotely interested in those rifles.

The kids and estates that deal with private sales will have to follow suit when no one knows what the hell they are selling. I'll throw it out there right now: Pizza and beer for life at my restaurant, plus $6000 for your nitro proved, vintage British double rifle.

Hell of a deal compared to that last rock island auction!

Caveat Emptor: I have only shot two doubles, I don't own one, and what I know I have piggybacked off the elders of the U.S. Double Rifle world, of which this forum is the center. I have watched the price fluctuations for a long time.

Colin

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definatly a buyers market over the last year or two on double rifles...Same with hunting Africa, world problems and politics plus a African Gov. mindset that who cares we can live on $600 per month as well as $50,000. A swelling of excess game in S. Africa will have to effect prices at some point, it just hasn't dawned on them yet..Guess we'll see what Trump will do with the economy, I believe things have to change to the better, if the democrats in their idealong bubble don't screw things up and the certainly are trying...I look for things to improve, gun values going up and Africa once again for the middle American at least. Guns and hunting go together and African hunting and Peter Capstick made it good for a long time.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote