THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis - Case Hardened Photo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis - Case Hardened Photo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering a Chaupis UGEX and was hoping one of you that purchased one with the case hardened action would be so kind and post some pictures. I think I might prever that to the coin finish

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have one that I bought,my first DR,I got the case colored version,I have no way of posting pictures,but like you I prefered this finish on the action & I do not think that you will be disappointed.
If nobody else responds to this thread,you may want to call JJ at Champlins & see if he could get some pics out of the factory,I got mine from him,the colors are dark & the wood that is on the gun matches very well.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i also picked the case-colored finish... i didn't care for the brightness of the coined finish....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how to post pics but I did send some case colored Chapus pics to the email address in your profile

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of mine. I chose scroll instead of game scene. I also chose the pancake cheeckpiece with wood upgrade. So far I am very happy with the rifle.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the pictures and comments

Posts: 266 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Rusty. Do you find the radius of the grip tighter than your English double? If so, much tighter?

Thanks,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK

I have had no problems going from one of my British Doubles to my 9,3 Chapuis.

I have switched between them several times in a single day.

I have handled your 458, I think you could go from it to the 9,3 Chapuis with out any problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Here are some pictures of mine. I chose scroll instead of game scene. I also chose the pancake cheeckpiece with wood upgrade. So far I am very happy with the rifle.

Rusty,

I very much like the scroll engraving. I didn't know that was an option.

JPK,

I may be just a redneck that don't know no better Smiler, but the tightness or openness of the grip never seems to consciously enter my mind. I like the looks of open grips but I wonder whether it really matters. It might matter, I suppose, with two triggers so that subconsciously it is easier to shift ones hand back a bit for the rear trigger.

It might also be from my redneck inbreeding (my physique) but I'm not convinced that cheekpieces of any size or shape are of any benefit other than looks. Unless the butt has some cast off to make up for it, I tend to be shifted off center with big cheekpieces. But everybody is different.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
JPK,
Sorry haven't looked at this thread in a couple of days. I don't have any problems with the grip on the Chapuis. It is a little straighter than my Hollis

Will,
I don't know if the cheek piece really does anything for me, other than I like the looks of the rifle with it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

I should go somewhere, someday, and have someone fit a try gun to me. I tried to get my son to do that as he has the cheery red, sore cheek after dove hunting or a couple rounds of skeet.

I suspect that the newer fashion of somewhat straighter stocks helps somewhat in that they should have less force on ones cheek when they recoil upwards.

I never noticed any problem with the 9.3x74R Chapuis, as one would expect, but I had Krieghoff put a straight stock on the 470. I do not handle those big guns well with large drop at the heel. They sure come up nice, but when they go off it is brutal.

Anyway, I sure love the looks of your Chapuis, pancake cheekpiece and all. It must be genetics that make us fawn over those double rifles!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The only stock that really eats me up is a straight stocked Winchester Mod.21. Everyone I have ever shot, just slaps my cheek hard!

A Merkel in 500 NE just beats me up, period!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first Chapuis had the stock game scene type engraving. I too like the rose and scroll better. I also enjoy the case colored version much better than the polished, although personally I would enjoy the mottled colors of old fashioned bone charcoal case coloring vs. the standard Chapuis cyanide-type coloring and the striping. Personal preference, but, the new one I am waiting on has the case colors, and it sure isn't a bad thing!
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote