THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Hoot and Shoot April 24th, 2010 with Pictures
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoot and Shoot April 24th, 2010 with Pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Once again the Clans are gathering!

The Double rifle Shooters Society and the Accurate Reloading Big Bore Association are pleased to announce our next Hoot and Shoot.
Our hosts will once again be Bayou Rifles, Inc. of Houston Texas.

The event will be held at BRI's range located in Juliff, Texas just South of Houston. The event will be held from 10 AM to 2 PM.

The entry fee, payable when you check in, is $15.00 US. If you just show up to visit and eat lunch that's just fine, the same $15.00 US fee applies. A modest barbecue lunch of brisket with beans and potato salad will be served. Bring your own drinks! No alcohol allowed on the range! Any funds left over after covering the cost of the shoot will be donated to our host facility Bayou Rifles, Inc.

We would like to thank Bayou Rifles for allowing us to use their facility again this year. Please remember that we are guests!

This is a rifle match only. Double rifles, bolt trash, and single shots rifles may be used. Black powder cartridge rifles are welcome. No muzzle loading rifles. Due to facility rules the following calibers can not be used, 50 BMG, any cartridge based on the 50 BMG, 408 Cheytac or 338 Laupua. Bring your own eye and ear protections. Both are required to shoot in the event. Bring your own chair!

We would ask those attending to please bring extra ammo so others, if they wish, may shoot your rifle under your supervision, to "try it out".
As we did last year, there will be tables set up to display your rifles. This is not a gun show. Tables are for display only.

Course of Fire-

Stage 1- Shooter, standing, will fire 6 rounds from covered firing line at a bull's eye type target at 25 yards, for accuracy and time. In case of a tie there will be a two round shoot off.

Stage 2- Shooter standing, firing from the covered firing line will engage 2, 1 quart sized DWJ (Dangerous Water Jugs) on a wooden stand at 25 yards . .. A speed event. In case of a tie there will be a shoot off.

Awards, if any to be decided at a later date.

We all had a great time last year. We look forward to seeing and having fellowship with old and new friends alike again this year.
This event is all about having a good time!

The range is located on Juliff/Manvel Road between Texas 288 south and FM 521. Coming south on 288 look for the turn off to County Road 57 West. It is the second exit on 288 south of Highway 6. See map link below.

GPS coordinates of the range are-
N 29 27.2005, W 95 27.002

BRI's Juliff Range
More information if needed, will follow!

Questions?
Contact myself or Jeffeosso

rkmojo@aol.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Is there a limit on the number of rifles per shooter?
Is there and extra fee for multiple rifles?? Or just the $15.00
Are there seperate classes for doubles, bolt trash and signle shots??
Are there seperate classes for calibers such as under 45 and 45 and over??
Is this an open sights only match or are non-magnification
red dot sights permitted??
Will plan on atending, your respose would be most helpful
Thanks
Tetonka

DRSS
NRA Life
RMEF
FNAWS Life
SCI
450/400 NE 3in. K-Gun and Ruger #1
405 Win Ruger #1
45-70 Sharps 1874 single shot
416 Rigby (Bolt Trash)

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
IF you enter twice, you pay twice. We don't charge per rifle.
Every one enters in one class. Target score minus time.
You can not shoot the range restricted calibers listed above.
Shoot scope or red dot or peep we don't care.

This is a fun shoot. We expect folks to have show up in a good humor and enjoy the day!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I went a couple of shoots back and had a great time. The barbeque makes it worth the trip by itself. I won't be able to make this one, but if you can fit this into your schedule, it's worth the expense and effort to make the trip.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rusty "NASCAR" Knight,

Let me know if you need any help getting stuff organized in advance.

Mike

Posts: 21386 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
let me know if you need help.... i'll also defend my 2 shot time of 1.4 seconds.... BOOM

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
let me know if you need help.... i'll also defend my 2 shot time of 1.4 seconds.... BOOM

I think we need a little boy category and a big boy category for the water jug shoot. Cool

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't have my 600ok by then but I'll still be there.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we need a little boy category and a big boy category for the water jug shoot

yuck

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I see you're changing the stage one course of fire to give the double rifle trash an advantage this time.

Six fast shots is going to separate the men from the boys for sure.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
OK, Forrest! We'll just make it 4 rounds so you will have a chance! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I see you're changing the stage one course of fire to give the double rifle trash an advantage this time.

Six fast shots is going to separate the men from the boys for sure.

FB prey tell why six shots will give the double rifle an advantage? Even with a bolt rifle that only held three down, and one in the spout would only require one re-load in the string of fire, while requireing two re-loads for the double rifle! I think it gives the bolt rifle an even bigger advantage than four shots.

I don't really care, I'll shoot any way you want against a bolt rifle, I was simply mystified by your thinking on this! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I like the six shots . . . then use a CZ that holds five down and one up the spout and there is no need to reload!

Mike

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, six shots is a great equalizer. Everyone will be equally humiliated. Past experience has shown that the double rifle trash can't hit squat after a couple of shots and the bolt rifle trash don't have rifles that can actually function for six fast shots. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like ForrestB's approach.

One short, run on sentence that manages to piss off everybody except the lever action guys. My Man!!

One correction though; the double rifle guys aren't trash. We refer to them as hoity-toity these days.

I can't believe I am going to miss the party.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Don't worry, six shots is a great equalizer. Everyone will be equally humiliated. Past experience has shown that the double rifle trash can't hit squat after a couple of shots and the bolt rifle trash don't have rifles that can actually function for six fast shots. Smiler

Well I guess that puts us all on even footing then!

............... BOOM............... holycow jumping

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Help me out, I am stupid sometimes, but I noticed time and location, what are or were the dates for the event??????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Help me out, I am stupid sometimes, but I noticed time and location, what are or were the dates for the event??????

in the subject line.....

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be pleased as punch if one of ya'll that has a Mauser type A or B in a big bore caliber would bring it and let me touch itSmiler! Maybe even let me shoot it? Especially if it has an octagonal barrel or is caliber 10.75x68, 9.3, or even 404J!!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

April 24th from 10 am to 2 pm

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, the reason I asked was because the person that sent me the information about it, did not mention the dates and I did not notice them on the link he sent.

Texas Blue Devil Many Thanks for being so understanding.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Andy,
You are welcome to shoot my 404 Jeffery. It's on a MRC long action.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty!

I am looking forward to it!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOD I wish I still lived in Houston! Sounds like a lot of fun. Anybody know of anywhere in the Carolinas (upstate SC or SW NC) where we could do something like this? I would be willing to help organize (oh yeah, and bring along my 458 Win Mag Ruger #1).

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have just been informed that a herd of DWG (Dangerous Water Jugs) has been seen close to the Juliff range!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

The DRSS shooting stand on the short range at Juliff is great. I suspect you played a role in getting that out there. Thanks.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually I did not. Muletrain was kind enough to provide that to the club!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Muletrain, very nice to have that at the range.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi guys am trying to go will be easier if i find a rider or a ride! I am in mid Michigan. pm me if you want to go Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty I put up an extra 10 if you get us one of the life size buff targets. Look at hunting buff a better way in African forum.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Thanks Muletrain, very nice to have that at the range.

You are welcome. Glad to be of service.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Gosh, I wish that I could come down. I REALLY, REALLY want to watch Mac shoot my S2 (and take pictures) Wink However, I can't get take the time off from work.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Gosh, I wish that I could come down. I REALLY, REALLY want to watch Mac shoot my S2 (and take pictures) Wink However, I can't get take the time off from work.

jumping jumping jumping

Bring it on down! I'll wear it out for you, so bring pleanty of ammo, and film! Wink

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37,

well; I guess we see who blinked first in that showdown...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing you guys and and girls Saturday!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Thanks to everyone who showed up and helped make our event a great success! Special thanks to BobC, Lee440, Jeffeosso, MJines, Ed Henderson, and the rest who pitched in.

Jeff, Jim & Andy

Two of the coolest people you will ever meet!
Bill & Berit Pace.

Jeffe and Berit

George came all the way from Canada for the shoot. Please to note that we have properly inducted him into the "Scope Scar of Fame"!
He pitched right in and helped with the timing of the events.

Jack Williams showed up and brought his early California Rigby chambered in 500 NE.

I shot the rifle. It looks, feels great and was very accurate! I was very surprised!
It was not "boxy or Chunky" as the later doubles from Rigby Pasa Robles.

JD Donnelly came from New Orleans and brought a 505 Gibbs.

Anyone care to guess what action the rifle was made on? Need a clue? Everyone has been waiting and cuss'n the slow production? Anyone, Anyone? Bueller?

Thank you, thank you we have a winner! It's a Montana Rifle Co. PH action!

A few of the rifles brought to the shoot!

It is so wonderful to be in the company of such fine folks! Hope to see y'all in October for the next Hoot & Shoot!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
A few more pictures. And thanks to Jeff, Rusty, and others for putting on the event,

Laying a smoke screen should be against the rules. Wink

Exploding Dangerous Water Jugs

Everybody pitched in.

What can you say?

Are those 500 MDM and 458 B&M rounds?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from the 4th semi-annual Hoot & Shoot at the Bayou Rifle Club range hosted by AR and members of the DRSS,
Thanks guys for a great time and and a very safely run event, we'll be back. Lots of fun shooting, good lunch (great road kill-- mystry meat or was it Moose?) Exorbantant entry fee for shooting and lunch, $15 on the Honor System (of course) and prizes, (OH MY) Two out of three of us traveling the 180 miles from Central Texas were lucky enough,
(read that SHOT well enough) to win prizes which truned out to be Large Boxes of Federal
Match 215 Mag. primers. What a prize in a world of shortages. Good thing we brought the 1 ton truck to haul them home. Thanks again for a wonderful day, abundant sunshine, no rain, no humidity and no mosquitos.

Tetonka
DRSS
450/400 NE 3"

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rusty

I would like to thank you and the group for a great time and letting my Son and I shoot your rifles.
We only came down to see what the match was all about, every ones hospitality was fantastic to say the least, the food was great, and the match was fun!
Can’t wait until October! Cool

Thanks
Ron & Trey

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Well guys looks like a hoot... Sure missed being there. Was shooting in N.C. at athe southern sideby side shoot. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Some very cool rifles in attendance.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote