Find
Notify
Tools

simple question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted
Anyone have first hand knowledge of a Krieghoff (sp?) "Classic" box lock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I owend one....some love the cocking/safety mechanism, some don't. The are very well made and sturdy double rifles.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
You are the second person I have heard from on this gun and the other said the exact same thing about the cocking/safety mechanism on the tang. Could you explain this mechanism and how it differs from other side by sides.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I own one in a 470 Nitro.

The plus side it is safer to carry when not cocked.

The downside is it takes more force to push the cocking device forward than it would for a traditional safety. I have run over 200 rounds through mine and performed about a 1000 dry fire exercises and have had no problems with the cocking device.

The link is to Krieghoff's site and has a good description of how the cocking device operates.

http://www.krieghoff.com/content/view/29/177/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a K gun in 500/416. I have not hunted with it (yet). The cocker does require more force than a safety but is still quick to set. I love the gun and the caliber! Explanation? When the gun is broken open and then closed, the state of the cocking mechanism depends on the position of the cocker/decocker which is in the same position as the traditional safety. What this means is that if I have the gun closed and cock the gun, when I break it open and then close it, the gun is still cocked. If the gun is decocked and I then break it open and close it, it is still decocked adn must be manually cocked. It sounds more complicated than it is. However the meaning is clear: I have a loaded gun, I cock it, shoot both barrels open, load and close it. The gun is still cocked and ready to shoot. This is unlike the Blaser double which decocks itself when it is opened. The gun is handy, strong, accurate and attractive to look at.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I have GarBy's old Krieghoff .500/.416. It's a great gun and I agree with Peter, it is a fantastic caliber. The cocking mechanism is easy to master and frankly, I think it makes the rifle much safer to carry. I also have a Blaser .470 and I have not had any issues with the cocking mechanism on that rifle either. The K-gun is lighter and handles better than the Blaser.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the info, any idea what the value of a used dg like this is (I understand it will be completely dependant on condition) But assume the gun is in good to great shape. Thanks