THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Manton .500 BPE on a Webley Action.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manton .500 BPE on a Webley Action.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.schwandtclassicarms.com/manton_500_3.htm

Is this a phv-1 action, which would have been used for the bigger cordite calibers? My thinking is that if so, could one have a second set of barrels in a bigger caliber made to fit? Obviously if this is a black powder specific action it is not advisable. But at $10,000 for a British hammerless double it seems like a could deal, and another $4-5,000 you could get two rifles out of it.

In the pursuit of the affordable double!

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
That would be an early Webley A&W action.

You can see an illustration in this 1914 Webley catalog. The "c" in the version in the catalog would denote for "cordite".

http://rbsiii.com/nitro_expres...201914%20Catalog.pdf

A PHV1 actioned rifle is shown in the same catalog. The A&W would have been a more expensive rifle all things being equal.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Masters:
An easy way to tell between the PHV1 and AW is the shape of the dolls head.

The AW is half moon shapes and is the famous screw grip.

The PHV1 dolls head is shaped like an ace of clubs.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I would not take a vintage or any rifle not proofed for full nitro to full nitro no matter what the barrel s are made of. Again, better men than I please can correct me. Solid rifle by the way. All standard caveats apply that come with picture rating vintage doubles.

Posts: 12236 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Who makes a set of barrels for 4-5K ? I was under the impression it would be closer to 10K.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron Little and one other I have spoken too over the past couple of years.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I wondered the same about that rifle.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my real question is was this action maybe later used for nitro express class cartridges? If so, why not have new barrels fitted?

I really am a bothersome speculator, mostly because when What it boils down to is that the current offerings in new doubles (heym, searcy, verney carron class rifles) are now way north of many vintage offerings from the chaps that invented the game. The trend seems to point that hammerless "nitro" rifles are changing hands between $8500-14,000.

Cheers!

Colin

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Masters:

Go to sportsmans warehouse in lexington or good bookstore with a good magazine selection, and pick up a copy of shooting sportsman. There is a dealer in there advertising a 450/400 31/4 coordinate Boswell for 8k. You will want to do your diligence but the offer is right. He has had the rifle for a few years and the price has steadily marched down from 14k.

Posts: 12236 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collin:
That lasting is in www.vintage doubles.com.

Whether it is a 55 or 60 grain chamber is not listed, but it is being sold as cordite rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of those old BP double guns were proofed for smokeless in England and are safe for smokeless, I sold a 577 with a broken stock a number of years ago to a fellow in Boise that worked for Boise Guns. It had smokeless proof marks. It belonged to a PH who had fallen on hard times, and he took the $8000 offer on a $25000 or more gun IMO..I should have bought it myself but I was headed for Africa and the PH needed the money in a hurry..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote