New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worn Serial#
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The serial # on the bottom tang of my 1905 Gibbs is pretty worn, the corresponding numbers on the rest of the gun are sharp, water table, barrel flats etc. Will this be a problem in my up and coming travels if the gun will not be in a break down case? I could have some one chase the worn numbers if this could turn into a mess with SAPS.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Water table is the definitive place for the serial number; everywhere else is not important. A tang is not an integral part of the action. Anyone who uses a tang SN as a legal number should be looking at the action body, although don't assume any federal or airport security employee knows anything.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd I was checking in a long gun at our local airport and watched some of TSA's finest wipe the gun down for explosive residue I wanted to state the obvious but found it more amusing to watch them get a positive hit when they questioned me I asked them where they thought the residue might have originated they thought about it for a while then closed up the case and moved on to their next victim

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
dpcd I was checking in a long gun at our local airport and watched some of TSA's finest wipe the gun down for explosive residue I wanted to state the obvious but found it more amusing to watch them get a positive hit when they questioned me I asked them where they thought the residue might have originated they thought about it for a while then closed up the case and moved on to their next victim

yuck

I have had this happen to me several times, and I find it hilarious each time it happens!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would like a few more thoughts on the worn #
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Ok - on a serious note, I agree with the earlier post that the definitive serial # is on the water table. However, if you are still worried about the number on the tang, you could take it to an engraver and have the engraving of the tang serial number deepened. Just make sure it matches the water table!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think ATF may interpret deepening a serial number to be alteration. They have some very specific regulations on serial number applications or restoring.

Posts: 58 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Juero:
I think ATF may interpret deepening a serial number to be alteration. They have some very specific regulations on serial number applications or restoring.

I would have someone who knows what they are doing refresh the number. I would think if it were done properly you wouldn’t know it had been touched.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A number on the bottom tang is not relevant to the actual firearm serial number, so ATF won't be concerned about what you do to that one. The one on the water table flats is the only one that matters. Anyway, as stated, how will anyone know it has been deepened anyway?

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Z,
If memory serves, in South Africa, unlike in the U.S., the issue is barrels rather than actions. Your should have the sn on the barrel(s), action and bolt (if you have such a thing).

Having said that, every time I enter the RSA I just show the serial number on the trigger guard tang to the SAP officer and that's it.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote