THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Hey fellas, lookee what arrived...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey fellas, lookee what arrived...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
So nothing under the tree yet in a long narrow box. Damn.

But wait, this can was empty last night...what has the garbage man delivered??

Looks like some old crappy thrift store luggage:

I guess this is the thrift store:

But lookee what's inside!

Kinda splinter-y and still with bright case colors:

Well, in all seriousness this is a W.J. Jeffery in .450 No. 2 NE made in 1906 for Lyon & Lyon. Both company's names are on barrel. It says "Made Expressly For" "Lyon & Lyon of Calcutta" and "W.J. Jeffery Makers" "13. King Street, St. James's St. London". There are three small capital L letters on the underside of the barrel, maybe that is Mr. Leonard's mark. No other serial numbers on the barrels other than the Jeffery number. Fellas, the bores on this rifle have to be seen to be believed, absolutely minty and perfect.

Personally, I think about the best way to mess up a nice rifle is to engrave animals on it, I much prefer the scrolls etc. But I have to say, I do like the old time tigers and gaur engraving on the English rifles. It just makes the rifle all the more nostalgic I guess. It's sort of like a really, really bad movie (Flash Gordon or Godzilla for example). It's so bad it's good.

So anyway, one day over the holidays when it isn't raining I'll shoot it and post a target. John LaSala at Safari Arms is loading me a regulation box of ammo, four rounds of five loads so we can see what the old devil likes. Sorry for the lousy photos, this rifle is really very nice in person and I am happy as a clam in a cesspool.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to All!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I know who've been bad, so how does this happen. You are so into those Jeffery's now adays. The engraving kinda reminds me of Silka Henke from Merkel; always a caricature.

I agree with you about the game scene engraving of those days however. Today, the best engraving prefer game scene over rose & scroll. They can add things to cover up their mistakes.

Great rifle, and congrats. You always buy some class.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, very very nice. Now you're set for that African hunt, for sure. There are a couple folks here (Retreever and 450 No 2 NE that I know of) that shoot the 450 #2 NE...probably a good source of load info. That's a BIG case, so a bit different to load smokeless for.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I think that Cal Pappas has one of those 450 #2's stuffed into his garbage can also.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
I think that Cal Pappas has one of those 450 #2's stuffed into his garbage can also.

Yep, I emailed Cal with questions about bullets and damned if he didn't call me from half way around the world to tell me all about his loads etc. for the No. 2. There's also a story in Dangerous Game Hunting about his No. 2 Lang and a big bear.

Anyway, thanks gents. I'll post a target if it isn't embarrassing. Maybe I'll shoot it at 10 yards and tell y'all it was at 50. Guess I will get a lump of coal on Wednesday if I do that though.

Mike Schwandt (that's where I traded all my "crown jewels" for this one) shot it at 35 yards and I think it was about 1" apart.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
MAN! Old Santa knows how to get someone in the Christmas sprite!

.................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I was watching this on Schwandt's web site and Mjines talked me out of it... I am kicking myself now! Great grab! Merry Christmas!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, a ver nice Christmas present.

dancing

Thorns in fingers and hands, cuts in arms and legs, blisters in feets, happiness in me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give the man a cigar! Cigar sized cartridges! Nice!

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I'll shoot it at 10 yards and tell y'all it was at 50.

Hey! Just how close to Todd Williams do you live? :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
ENJOY IT WELL SIR!!! History in your hands, there's
nothin' like it! I love the long ammo it uses! clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Paul:
What a treasure!
The garbage can was a nice touch and I think Shootaway began a great tradition here!
The no2 is the best looking nitro cartridge there is--perfectly balanced. You can use 350-grain Hornady bullets for inexpensive practice with the same powder charge--the 75% rule. 500-grain Hornadys for practice and 480-grain Woodleighs for hunting. You have my recommended powder charge but your rifle may vary it a bit.
Keep me (an all of us here) posed on your targets and load development. If you have the miles on your airline, feel free to fly up in May and join us for a double shoot. Stay at my place if you wish.
Before you do anything you must get your SSA certificate to legitimize any and all that you do and if you want to be accepted and taken seriously.
SSA = Shootaway's Stamp of Approval.
Cheers, and congratulations.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't that be SSDA?

Shothiswads' Stamp of DIS- approval?? Big Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is obviously a decent looking rifle but if you want the SSA you need to shoot it at 50 and video it so that we can see the bullets striking.
Dont post fake targets like Jines.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
It is obviously a decent looking rifle but if you want the SSA you need to shoot it at 50 and video it so that we can see the bullets striking.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Remember what your 'smith said, Shootaway, decent looking, yes, but crap on the inside, are these pre war UK doubles.

George: are you interested in joining us all here in AK for our May double rifle shoot? It would be an honor for me (and I'm confident I speak for the others) to have you examine and evaluate my (our) old doubles.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Cal, Do you want him to try out the "special" proof loads? Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Paul,
I was watching this on Schwandt's web site and Mjines talked me out of it... I am kicking myself now! Great grab! Merry Christmas!

Paul, I told you that Russell would take the bait hook, line and sinker. Lawyers have been snookering bankers for decades. Send the $100 to my home address.

Congrats. Looks like a beauty. Will be looking for a range report.

[P.S. PM me and I will tell you how to print up some of those show targets. The trick is to hold the barrels close, but not so close as to leave powder burns.]

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul

Very Nice! And I am sure you'll enjoy the 450.

Congrats

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one nice looking rifle. Congrats. However, since you opened it before Christmas, you should send it to me.........

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul that is a great looking double and a great themed post.

Merry Christmas and happy shooting/hunting.

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a wonderful rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Saawwseeeettttt rifle. Merry Christmas.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Paul, I told you that Russell would take the bait hook, line and sinker. Lawyers have been snookering bankers for decades. Send the $100 to my home address.

Should have known better than to trust a lawyer.... ROFL!!! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
Maybe I'll shoot it at 10 yards and tell y'all it was at 50.

Hey! Just how close to Todd Williams do you live? :-)

Hey now Justin! Stop giving out my secrets.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
That's just freaken cool...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For Cal...
Being that this gun was "Made Expressly For" Lyon & Lyon of Calcutta is the shooting public still seeing doubles made for and regulated for the tropics?
PSmith congrats on what you found under the tree..... dancing is the case original to the gun? It would be fun to find out who C.J.S.T. was. A friend bought a lovely H&H dominion grade 16b with original oak and leather case with a name embossed on the out side and was able to find and trace the owners military career and some of his hunting exploits.
All the best

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Zephyr:
Tropical loads are most common in the .450-400. This and any cartridge regulated and/or proved for a reduced charge will state so on the barrel flats. A quick look will show if it made for the standard load or (usually) 5 grains less. Same bullet weight, though.
My (former) Lyon .470 was made for the standard .470 charge.
While there are a lot of generalizations in the Rifle and shotguns from the UK, there are also a lot of exceptions--nothing is carved in stone.
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle in a great caliber.

Enjoy it!

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Proofed for 80 cordite 480 grains fellas.

One of the three rifles I traded for this was a Holland & Holland .375 H&H and its case had T E T Upton on it. I was able to find out a great deal about him.

This Jeffery is also in the original case and I will try to find out who the owner is. But with no last name it might be tough. Cal did look at the WJJ records for me but there is no information. I guess the place to look would be the Lyon & Lyon records since it was probably bought in Calcutta.

I bet this old rifle has had an interesting time between Birmingham England in 1906 and Birmingham Alabama in 2013.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! I need to find a new Santa Klaus.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Mike Schwandt (that's where I traded all my "crown jewels" for this one)

I was guessing that was the one he had for sale! Congratulations!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Paul:
Since the case has four initials on it you can narrow it down some. Do this: see if the military museum in Scotland has an internet searchable database. (If not, write to them). If the owner was in the UK military his bio is with this museum. I have found much info on my doubles and their owners suing the museum.

Secondly, use the data base of the Mormon Church. They have genealogical records on just about everyone. With two initials you'd be sunk before you started, but with 4 you have a good chance.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

Remember what your 'smith said, Shootaway, decent looking, yes, but crap on the inside, are these pre war UK doubles.

George: are you interested in joining us all here in AK for our May double rifle shoot? It would be an honor for me (and I'm confident I speak for the others) to have you examine and evaluate my (our) old doubles.
Cal

I am saving for Africa and I am going to SCI.
I dont know how I will feel in May but right now I feel tired as hell.
Rough road ahead-so dont know what is to become.
There are many things I would like to do but I have no control of things.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Christmas-trash-can present.
Thanks for sharing Smiler.

Merry Christmas and Happy new year.

J.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!! Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote