THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Who owns a 375 Flanged Double Rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who owns a 375 Flanged Double Rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
I need someone to check out some 375 Flanged brass I will be getting in a few days.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who owns a 375 Flanged Double Rifle?

Boy I wish I could help you Frowner

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have brass, bullets and powder but the rifle has yet to materialize...

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Could you measure the thickness of the rim on several of your cases?

Please feel free to contact me directly at rkmojo@aol.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I've been lurking around here for quite some time figuring I didn't have much to offer but maybe I can actually help. My .375 Flanged Magnum BELL rims mostly measure .055 with a few being .057.

If you meant the .375 2 1/2" my Bertram brass all measures .060.

By the way, the rifles are a Searcy and a Cogswell & Harrison.

If you want rim diameters or anything else, I'd be glad to help.

Doug

Posts: 15 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug68
So you have been a lurker. shame
Well now you are out of the closet. clap

So you must tell us about your 375 Flanged Magnum and your .375 2 1/2".

Welcome to the Forum. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Doug,
thank you for your response. When I get these cases I'd like to send a few to you to see if they will chamber in your rifle.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug:

What is the rim diameter on your Flanged Magnum brass?
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tony,
I'm waiting for it to show up. As soon as it does, I'll post the measurements!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

posted Hide Post
The rim diameter of my .375 Fl Mag BeLL cases is .560 inch. This ammunition was loaded by Superior and I got three boxes of it when I bought the rifle. Funny thing is there was one cartridge in 60 loaded in a case marked HDS. This one sample of HDS has a rim thickness of .055" but a diameter of .563. This also chambers fine in my rifle.

Rusty,
I will gladly see if your cases will chamber in my rifle; but if it's easier for you I can send a few of my cases to you to see if they will allow the rifle in question to close.

450 No2,
Thanks for the welcome. I'm no typist, just a hunt-n-pecker so I tend to read a lot more than write. I got the Cogswell & Harrison .375 2.5" as a wedding gift from my wife and myself from Cape Outfitters here in Missouri shortly before Don Schrum died. It had been refinished and came in an oak and leather case with Kynoch snap caps and all the compartments filled with the proper English made accessories. It made a very nice looking package. It had a few obvious mechanical problems but the bores are almost new so I bought it anyway. The fore end was a little loose but when I took apart the Deely latch and replaced what looked to be a piece of wire coat hanger with a new hardened pin it tightened up nicely. The barrels were slightly off-face but I could see a bright spot worn on the hinge pin from what I assume was poor lubrication and years of playing with it but not so much shooting it. It turned out the hinge pin wasn't screwed in tight. I couldn't get the cover off to completely remove the hinge pin to make a new one, so I took out the extractor, threaded a longer screw into the hinge pin, and used this as a wrench to completely tighten the pin in the action. I filled the old screw hole with a screw and loc-tite, filed it smooth, drilled and tapped a new hole, and put the extractor back on. This tightened the action considerably. I can't close a sheet of paper in it, but I can see a thread of light at the breech when held to a bright light. I'll eventually send this off for repair as I don't want to risk buggering up a screw head trying to remove the hinge pin cover. The next problem was difficulty opening after firing. I rounded the firing pins slightly to no avail and ended up bending the cocking levers up a little to get them back in time. Now everything functions properly but I haven't found a really good load. So far everything I've tried crosses a couple inches at 50 yards. I reduced the loads and nothing changed so I might try a slower burning powder than R-15 and try to increase the recoil. I also got a chronograph since then but haven't played with it lately. We had a baby almost two years ago and I guess because I got a late start at fatherhood I've really jumped into that and don't spend as much time at the range.
That's why I bought the used Searcy Field grade .375 Fl Mag. It has Talley mounts and is already scratched up enough I can drag it through the thick woods in Missouri without cringing. It's an accurate shootable rifle and while not exactly graceful (too thick grip area and too long forearm) it has walls at the muzzles almost as thin as the Cogswell and carries most of its weight between the hands. Hopefully I can share pictures some day.

Doug

Posts: 15 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68:
Now everything functions properly but I haven't found a really good load. So far everything I've tried crosses a couple inches at 50 yards. I reduced the loads and nothing changed so I might try a slower burning powder than R-15 and try to increase the recoil. I also got a chronograph since then but haven't played with it lately. We had a baby almost two years ago and I guess because I got a late start at fatherhood I've really jumped into that and don't spend as much time at the range.
Doug

Doug, I edit this post, because I had a brian failier, and got it backwards! Red Face You are absolutely right, the loads are too fast! Sorry about that! Damn sometimers desease! thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote