New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Glock of doubles...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Not really an "English Best"-inspired double... But not without merit in the function department.

http://www.steinkamp-arms.com/

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Frowner Yuck! On the looka.

Might make a mud and blood "pig gun". If I had one, I would hide it in a burlap bag> jumping

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

NRA Member
SCI Member & DSC Member
Double Rifle Shooter's Society So. Cal. Chapter

Posts: 62 | Location: So. Cal. | Registered: 16 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ugly but great design ingenuity, it might be the ultimate Alaskan DR, especially if they chamber it in 375 or 450-400, better yet a 458wm. Will, we've found the holy grail of DR's, 7.5 lb 458wm with a single trigger.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
First gun I ever saw that needed shooting glasses to reload. You'll put your eye out with that thing if you don't point both ends in a safe direction!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would own one if cost and function were in line.
There is no political correct way to kill stuff,
if its faster and more reliable why not. Thats a big if? The idea of a plastic gun was unheard of when the glocks came out,look at how the changed history. I would not give up my Merkel or Chapuis for one, but would consider owning,and using one if it made me faster and more positive in the clinches. Thats the main reason we carry doubles, to be faster and more positive when it hits the fan.

JD

Just saw the video. It ain't going to be faster in the clinches on 3rd or 4 shots. Reload looks a little awkward, and requires a cocking action
each time you fire the gun.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:

Might make a mud and blood "pig gun". If I had one, I would hide it in a burlap bag> jumping

Keith

The fitted case for that thing is made by "CRAFTSMAN" tools! Big Grin

However I would love to have one chambered for 338 Win Mag for a camp gun in Alaska! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD,

I fully agree. Shave off the ends of the rail so it does not hang on stuff, put a closed red dot sight, or a ghost ring with fiber optic foresight, add a couple lbs of weight in the center, and chamber for a bigger caliber... That would be very handy in thick stuff!

Can't see a buff sending a protest letter to PHASA because he was treacherously shot with an ugly plastic thing instead of a proper 26" barreled, oil finished, scroll engraved, leather recoil-padded double!

But again, it IS ugly (yes, Glocks ARE ugly too - and they work).

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:

Keith

The fitted case for that thing is made by "CRAFTSMAN" tools! Big Grin

However I would love to have one chambered for 338 Win Mag for a camp gun in Alaska! thumb

Thats funny Mack, you made me snort my coke a cola.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
AS much as I like doubles...
And as much as I like short guns...
And as much as I like New technology...
And as much as I like red dots and scopes on doubles...
This double is just to slow and awkward to reload to be used for DG IMHO.

It would be great for hunting deer and wild pigs in a blind however.

Wonder how much it costs, and how accurate it shoots?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why slow and awkward?

Check again... You only need one hand to open and eject your rounds, your left hand can be bringing up new ammo at the same time. Then, you can recock in a chinch as you bring the gun up again. I'm sure that with a bit of training one can reload that thing pretty fast.

Unusual, and very different than anything else around, yes. But having to use two hands to open a double (cock on opening), then extract the rounds with one hand (if no ejectors), then pop two rounds in, then use two hands to close (especially if ejectors), then bring up the gun... I don't really see any real advantage in this sequence.

Price,around $6,000. An they have a wood version, too! (Uglier than the plastic one, IMHO...)

Philip

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some things you just can't "unsee!"

May be useful ... but darned it's UGLY!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip A.:
Why slow and awkward?

Check again... You only need one hand to open and eject your rounds, your left hand can be bringing up new ammo at the same time. Then, you can recock in a chinch as you bring the gun up again. I'm sure that with a bit of training one can reload that thing pretty fast.

Unusual, and very different than anything else around, yes. But having to use two hands to open a double (cock on opening), then extract the rounds with one hand (if no ejectors), then pop two rounds in, then use two hands to close (especially if ejectors), then bring up the gun... I don't really see any real advantage in this sequence.

Price,around $6,000. An they have a wood version, too! (Uglier than the plastic one, IMHO...)

I watched the video. The butt stock is much to high for a quick reload, you have to take your hand off the stock to recock. (many people have trouble with doubles that are cocked by the safety,this involves more movement.)I would have to have a chance to shoot one to think otherwise. It would be handy for the first two shots though. With 9.3 x 74 as its largest cal it won't ever be a stopper,without double triggers it won't be more reliable

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fitted case for that thing is made by "CRAFTSMAN" tools!

jumping

Good one Mac!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joerg Biesewinkel who designed this rifle is a friend of mine and he posts regularly on the Nitro Express Forums. He is not associated with Steinkamp of late but is working on a single shot pistol design for hunting - details of that are on the Nitroexpress Forums too.

While looks and design are personal preferences, I'll just say that the price at which Steinkamp plan to sell the rifle are significantly below the $ 6000 price mentioned here. There are also accuracy pictures on the NE forums which show what the design is capable of.

Incidentally, Joerg has also designed a conventional break open O/U double rifle which Steinkamp will offer soon. AFAIK both designs will be offered together in the USA sometime in 2010.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote