Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifles at SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted
This year I made my first trip to SCI. I met with a couple of AR members and talked to a lot of folks. While I was only able to attend on Wednesday, overall I had a great time, but the highlight for me was being able to see Jim Corbett's 275 Rigby.

While I was there I talked to the guys at Rigby, Chapuis, Heym, and Rizzini.

The folks at Rigby had an awesome setup and always had a number of people around their booth. Mark Remnant was checkering a rising bite when I walked by and it was cool to see a true master at his craft.

I walked by the Chapuis booth and saw what they had to offer. The new X4 looked good. I have and shoot a Brousse 470 but have always felt that the comb is too narrow for me. I still believe they are the best 'starter' double on the market today.

Next, I stopped by the Rizzini/Fierce Firearms booth because I wanted to fondle the Rhino Express double rifle. While the overall fit and finish seemed pretty good, I wasn't too impressed with the dudes running the booth. Both of the young guys seemed more interested in pimping the long range guns and neither one really knew anything about the double rifle. The rifles are definitely better than the Sabatti, I don't know if I would put them price-wise next to the Chapuis.

The last double maker that I talked to was Chris and the guys at Heym. The folks at the Heym booth totally knocked it out of the park. The 89B is spot on. The feel of the 89B is superb and it handles better than any of the other doubles I held. Besides the guns, the folks working the booth took a lot of time to answer my questions and talk about the guns. They never spoke down or seemed prudish like some of the high end British rifle makers.

Now that I've been once, I'm already planning my trip for next year.

Tyler

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of #1 of 13
posted Hide Post
Had the same experience, really enjoyed talking with Lee at Rigby and the guys at Holland and Holland. Did not see the snobs that everyone was talking about. Also my first time.

ZIMBABWE 2016
ZIMBABWE 2017
Zimbabwe 2019

Posts: 172 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a lot of doubles.I can say which ones I found most attractive but what really counts is how they shoot and function over time-something that one can't test at the show.Another thing to keep in mind is that what you are seeing at the show is a show piece.Is that what one really gets??-maybe not.That said I found the Chapuis not bad and interesting.The Hartmann and Weiss on display-same one they display each year is tops in terms of looks.That is followed by the Rigby and Westley Richards drop lock,box lock.I just got home from the show and I am too tired to say more today.The show was great,BTW.Everyone was in a good mood.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris and the folks at HEYM really know their stuff, and are nice folks too. I have shot the 89B, to say the least it is unbelieveable.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Beretta 682E (Mike) knows the Holland and Holland guys really well, and he introduced me to them at the show. They were very cordial, even letting me fondle one of their new round action sidelock paradox guns. It was really a nice, well balanced piece. The only bad part is that I will have to win the lottery first before even thinking about buying one.

I also spoke with Ken Buch, his son Karl, and Jerome Lanoue at the Verney-Carron booth. Jerome really knows how to build a rifle, and my personal preference is that I like the V-C guns hands down over the Heym pieces.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For new guns looks like you might have missed Verney Carron, Westley Richards and Kreigoff. The amount of used British Doubles were just short of staggering. Champlin Arms, Griffin and Howe, Westley Richards, Galazan, Steve Barnett had maybe 15 London Best DR in Oak and Leather cases that were absolutely spectacular plus numerous Birmingham DRs
Hope you saw more than you mentioned

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Heym is a solid looking rifle.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Subsailor, Ken, his son and Jerome are really engaging and knowledgeable about Verney-Carons. I, too, prefer them over all other new models. Classic elegant lines from the get-go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be better for VC to have displayed at least some of their doubles in such a manner so one can easily see them while they are walking by.The way they were displayed if there were people in the booth looking at them they were hidden from other peoples view.In any way one could not view them closely just by walking by.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
Beretta 682E (Mike) knows the Holland and Holland guys really well, and he introduced me to them at the show. They were very cordial, even letting me fondle one of their new round action sidelock paradox guns. It was really a nice, well balanced piece. The only bad part is that I will have to win the lottery first before even thinking about buying one.

I also spoke with Ken Buch, his son Karl, and Jerome Lanoue at the Verney-Carron booth. Jerome really knows how to build a rifle, and my personal preference is that I like the V-C guns hands down over the Heym pieces.

Admiral you are so right about the H&H guys.

The H&H guys have been solid great guys to me over the years and I have never bought anything more than a tie and a cap from them.

The paradox is really a great gun. One day maybe I will buy one but I need the lottery ticket. Also H&H are legacy guns - one buys them for future generations.

I saw a german manufacture - will find their info. It was max something.

Excellent doubles with a double safety feature that I really liked.

There were some amazing doubles at VC, Westly Richard, Heym, K-guns and other dealers but only booth I kept going back to was Blaser.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
The German is Max Ern--he is one fine gent, and a hell of a gun maker.

http://max-ern.com/english/galerie6.htm

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
The German is Max Ern--he is one fine gent, and a hell of a gun maker.

http://max-ern.com/english/galerie6.htm

Ed

Thanks - I was going to search and pull the card.

The guns were just impressive - fit finish wood balance - everything

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Mike - the double safety feature you refer to is called a "bolted safety". You will find this feature on many vintage high end British double rifles.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike - the double safety feature you refer to is called a "bolted safety". You will find this feature on many vintage high end British double rifles.

And, another term best not used today…
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot-Away did you even step into V-C's booth? All models of the V-C were prominently displayed in a horizontal fashion and Jerome and Ken were very accommodating to anyone who wished to see them, handle them, and take them apart to observe their construction. Have no idea of what you are in reference to...but, then again, I have never understood one of your posts.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Shoot-Away did you even step into V-C's booth? All models of the V-C were prominently displayed in a horizontal fashion and Jerome and Ken were very accommodating to anyone who wished to see them, handle them, and take them apart to observe their construction. Have no idea of what you are in reference to...but, then again, I have never understood one of your posts.

Remember, Dutch, if it's not Searcy's lowest grade of double, all else is garbage.
George is just being George.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:

And, another term best not used today…
Cal

Why ?

I really like the feature.

For the client hunter it puts another small but important step to fire the gun.

Just playing around with the safety as people of often do - there is a risk the safety is accidentally dis engaged.

With this safety to disengage the safety requires another step - i like that a lot.

I really am not super excited to hunt with my VC double cause I just don't like the safety. I think the K-guns with the cocking mechanism are far better.

I would put a sling on my double too.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Cal, I forgot. He must have posted before he had his morning coffee with a shot of lithium.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I notice the German Max Ern J... with the bolted safety is a boxlock. Would that have intercepting sears as well? Without them I see bolting the safety as giving a false sense of security. I can also imagine someone getting trampled or eaten by forgetting to unbolt the safety and wasting precious seconds trying to release it.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Intercepting sears have zero to do(theoretical)with a bolted safety. Intercepting sears are there to prevent doubling due to jarring or discharge upon dropping , a bolted safety is there to prevent thumb safety movement during handling. I've personally handled a prewar WR droplock with a bolted safety and no intercepting sears.

I do share your thoughts on them though, not something I would want on a personal rifle.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by touchdown88:
The last double maker that I talked to was Chris and the guys at Heym. The folks at the Heym booth totally knocked it out of the park. The 89B is spot on. The feel of the 89B is superb and it handles better than any of the other doubles I held. Besides the guns, the folks working the booth took a lot of time to answer my questions and talk about the guns. They never spoke down or seemed prudish like some of the high end British rifle makers.
Tyler

Tyler - thanks again for stopping by the booth, and we really appreciate the compliment... really, we do. tu2

We want for everyone that stops by to get the attention they need and have all of their questions answered. Unfortunately, groups of customers tend to come in waves, and we can get bogged down now and then.

Each year, I struggle with putting more people in the booth, but it's tough to find people that 1) really know doubles and 2) have real-world, practical experience hunting with them in Africa (and North America) and are familiar with ballistics, reloading, etc...

Doc has done plenty of African hunting, reloading and tons of gun knowledge.
Tony has killed more elephant that half of us put together (with a variety of calibers.)
Both are accomplished competitive shooters from IDPA to 1000-yards... you name it, and those two have done it.

When it comes to bolt actions, I can't imagine who knows more about them than Ralf Martini.

Thanks again for your feedback!

We are very proud of our team.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have an old Westley Richards 500-450 #1 express box lock hammerless double rifle that was sold out of the London store in 1892 and it was a high end double when new. It has fluid steel barrels, fine English scroll engraving, and has selective ejectors, and it also has the Bolted safety. The bolted safety is a feature that like a lot.

The bolted safety is not usually found of field grade double rifles.

.................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, if one has to ask, he/she probably cannot afford . . . .

That's said, and with total disregard, what's the base price on the Heym 89B?

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I believe they start around 20k.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
Intercepting sears have zero to do(theoretical)with a bolted safety. Intercepting sears are there to prevent doubling due to jarring or discharge upon dropping , a bolted safety is there to prevent thumb safety movement during handling. I've personally handled a prewar WR droplock with a bolted safety and no intercepting sears.

I do share your thoughts on them though, not something I would want on a personal rifle.

Thanks Aaron,
I wasn't thinking that these safety measures were directly related, just that if you were worried enough to want one, you might want the other, as well, to be sure, to be sure.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
my personal preference is that I like the V-C guns hands down over the Heym pieces.

This,although the new 88B is very nice.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I fondled a round body VC in 450/400 at S.C.I. and it was Very difficult to put it back down.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote