New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ball bearing in TSX tip?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was reloading some 470NE today in an attempt to find a TSX load for my Merkel and ran across this after seating a bullet?
[/URL]
Not present on any of my other TSX's in the box. Loading with Hornady dies, could this be part of the die stuck in there??

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Tumbling/polishing media. Shoot that one first to get it out of the inventory if you can't remove it.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...thanks, dpcd. Tried to remove it to no avail. Guess I'll just shoot it!

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am sure they chose that size so it wouldn't fit into a nose cavity, but the hole in that one looks bigger in the picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I am sure they chose that size so it wouldn't fit into a nose cavity, but the hole in that one looks bigger in the picture.

Spot on. 0.142" vs 0.124"

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Would be great to see how it performed on game, greater expansion & maybe shock ?

Like some 338 subsonic projectiles take a .17 projectile in the hollow nose !

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it a super secret new bullet coming from Barnes and a prototype got out. Remember how Bill Ruger was able to have a .44 magnum pistol almost as soon as the round hit the market.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it were me I'd pull the bullet and would not shoot it.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes,pull the bullet and do not shoot it. Any object in a hollow point will make it unreliable. It may or may not expand. Besides that, it may be firmly lodged now but it may dislodge with the slightest tap to the cartridge and you do not want something as hard as that floating loose in the bore of the rifle. It is not worth the risk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull it and send it back with a properly worded letter and they will propbably send you a full box for free. Most of the companies that are any good will gladly send out a free replacement for the whole lot rather than have an un-happy customer.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCS:
Pull it and send it back with a properly worded letter and they will propbably send you a full box for free. Most of the companies that are any good will gladly send out a free replacement for the whole lot rather than have an un-happy customer.

I was thinking about doing this.

Thank you all for the advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Email with photos sent to their customer service email address. I'll keep you guys posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found the same thing in a 750gr .585 TSX. I was told it was the tip of the punch that broke off when making the bullet and that they usually catch it but it is harder to catch on the heavier bullets. They gave me a half box of replacments for the problem and let me keep the bad one. I think I shot it at a rock or something.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nor being one to create drama from a non event; I would just shoot it. Inspector #3 was hung over that day; that's the worst thing that happened. But, yeah, you can probably profit from it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nor being one to create drama from a non event; I would just shoot it. Inspector #3 was hung over that day; that's the worst thing that happened. But, yeah, you can probably profit from it.

Not necessarily looking to profit from it, my email simply explained the situation, including my measurements of hp width and bullet diameter (unchanged from the normal ones) and asked if it was safe to fire in my rifle or if it should be discarded/replaced.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Heck, back about 100 years ago, they came out with the "Hoxie" brand bullet, that used the same principle to aid expansion. It won't hurt a thing.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A roller bearing came apart somewhere along the line and spewed ball bearings all over the place...one just happened to light in the nose cavity and was jammed in on the last forming operation...or someone is playing games...either/any way I would pull the bullet and keep it for conversational purposes...make up a good, plausible story and tell it to your friends around the campfire after a few sundowners have muddled the brain and lubricated the tongue. lol tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, yeah, you can probably profit from it.

What damage has been incurred?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It was suggested above that the OP could report it to the maker and they would send him a box of free bullets as hush payment. Not something I would bother with. My time is worth more than creating issue where none exists. Others choose to do otherwise.
Of course it is safe to fire.
No, a roller bearing did not come loose; this is a piece of tumbling media.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If one loads enough one well find things cases with out flash hole misshaped bullets ect. wrong caliber in boxes. Once had a lone 8mm bullet in a box of 308 bullets.

Found it because it collapsed the neck of the case I was loading in the seating process.

These components are made on machines millions at a time.

I find them interesting but I never done anything besides removing them from the loading process.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel Ball in the HP is an old modification !
Do that with a 357 mag or a 44mag and you'll have bunch of large holes in your engine blocks ! 2020

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
back about 100 years ago, they came out with the "Hoxie" brand bullet, that used the same principle to aid expansion.

quote:
Steel Ball in the HP is an old modification

I concur with that, it was before bullet makers knew how the mechanism of expansion works.

I am glad you did not fire the bullet, Brandon. There is always the chance of the bearing dislodging and it is not worth taking the chance. The cost of the bullet vs the cost of a barrel is not worth it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just following up, below is the reply I received to my inquiry with Barnes CS. Still planning to pull the loaded projectile and place it and the other I found with polishing material in the tip on the shelf in my reloading room and keep them as conversational pieces.

[quote][i]Hi Brandon,

You are right on the money – the BB’s are used in the polishing process. Typically we’ll use BB’s that won’t fit the nose and or we separate them before releasing. But every now and then a couple will get by the laser inspection process because they are lodged inside and the laser doesn’t have the ability to look into the bullets.

That said, we appreciate your email and we would like to send you a few replacements to make you whole again. Can I get an address?

I don’t have any problem with you shooting them but I’d suggest you make sure the BB’s don’t fall out in the other barrel under recoil and cause additional problems. In other words just shoot them one at a time.

Thanks, Ty[i][quote]