THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    action stress question for Mac
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

action stress question for Mac
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted
Mac, as you may have noticed from my hammer protocol post, I recently acquired a like new Pedersol Kodiak MK IV in 45-70. Since you stated you have three of them, I put this query to you, and of course welcome all others to chime in. This rifle has what I call the"Purdy bites" in that the bottom of the lumps protrude into recesses in the action when closed. This would indicate to me that any firing stress would be shared with the hinge pin, prolonging wear. Am I on the right track, or have I been reading too much "Shootaway"?

Posts: 46 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 28 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quartermain:
Mac, as you may have noticed from my hammer protocol post, I recently acquired a like new Pedersol Kodiak MK IV in 45-70. Since you stated you have three of them, I put this query to you, and of course welcome all others to chime in. This rifle has what I call the"Purdy bites" in that the bottom of the lumps protrude into recesses in the action when closed. This would indicate to me that any firing stress would be shared with the hinge pin, prolonging wear. Am I on the right track, or have I been reading too much "Shootaway"?

I don't have three Pedersoli MK IVs I have only one that has been re-chambered to a 458 RCBS wild cat cartridge. Mine is only the 143rd one off the assembly line and was originally chambered for 45-70. That was the only chambering they came in when they were first ordered by TRAIL GUNS ARMORY and a replica of the early COLT double rifle from the late 1800s.

Mine shot very well using only one of the two back sights it printed my hand-loads for my Ruger NO1 side by side at 100 yds with a 400 gr bullet. I shot a lot of pigs and deer with it and then decided I wanted something with a little more power, and so the re-chambering.

The 458 RCBS is a flanged wildcat that has a case length of 2.75 inch much like the 450-100 Sharps. The hand loads I had been using in the Ruger NO 1 were fairly hot, and the Pedersoli digested them very well.

Mine is going to Aaron Little soon see if he will make me a set of 450-400NE 3 inch barrels for the action and reduce the very heavy weight to around 10 , or 11 pounds. I've no doubt about the strength of this action, with the 450-400NE 3 inch because I know of three others that have been re-chambered for 450No2 NE and one re-chambered for 450NE 3.25 inch with no problem.

.............................................................Hope any of this helps! Mac old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
It comes down to how the barrels are fit into the action. In the case of less expensive guns I would bet most still contact the hinge when the barrels are closed.

There are two better ways to fit barrels, but it's only seen on higher end guns.
-One way involves the rear lump just touching the lump cavity when the barrels are closed. This acts to spread forward thrust of the barrels onto the hinge and action body, it also reduces action bar flex. This is my method of fitting on my guns.

-the other method is very similar, but instead of just having slight contact on the rear lump, it bears much harder and actually draws the barrels back off of the hinge. This spreads forward thrust and flex into the action body. The one downside to this method is it makes the gun harder to open at first.

Both of these methods are called fitting-on-the-circle and is better explained in Vic Venters books.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Consider that some modern DRs bear only on the hinge pin and have no second, or third "bite". The Krieghoff, and the Chapuis are two examples of these.
Even the famous Greener Cross Bolt, does not come into load bearing "play" until the rest of the frame has been over stressed (per Greener's own tests outlined in his book).
So, each frame and locking mechanism has to be considered on it's own merits and just because stress is taken by a particular area, is neither good nor bad as long as it holds and keeps,, tight. . There is such a thing as over thinking about things in too much spare time, instead of just shooting them.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Another consideration; all those fancy locking mechanisms with redundant locking lugs, were developed in the 19th century, and very early 20th, when frames were made out of wrought iron, or maybe low carbon steel at best. Nowadays, with alloy steels used in frames and barrels, they are no longer needed to maintain integrity of the locking system.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
http://www.theexplora.com/wp-c...ds/2014/12/Joint.jpg
Now you have the answer from a real expert on double rifles! My personal favorite maker is Westley Richards.

I have a WR double rifle that was sold out of the London store in 1892. It is a 500-450#1 express with the same exact hook up shown in the picture, and is tight as a jug today, so the system works!
.......................................................................Mac

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted Hide Post
My thanks to all who responded with straight and proper answers. I knew Mac, Dpcd and Aaron would chime in. I know the Kodiak will take much more than I,ll give it in terms of pressure, si it is nice to know the margin. Again, many thanks.

Posts: 46 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 28 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a WR double rifle that was sold out of the London store in 1892.

Mac, you bought it new, right? :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
What dpcd says is also true. Modern steels especially through-hardening are much better than steels of the early 1900's. That said additional locking mechanisms and fitting methods can't hurt and certainly help perception.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Biebs,, That was just mean.. rotflmo rotflmo

Funny but mean..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Biebs is just angry 'cause Janet Reno dumped him.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

And I was with him! Big Grin animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
quote:

Right! I went there to try to get a double for Rusty who was just under age, and they told me he was too young and I was almost too old to be able to see the sights, but they let me buy it anyway.

..................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of quartermain
posted Hide Post
Mac, I know they are kidding you. I just hope my Kodiak holds up as well as you have in the"face" of all this pressure!!!!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quartermain:
Mac, I know they are kidding you. I just hope my Kodiak holds up as well as you have in the"face" of all this pressure!!!!

Qurtermain, I'm just an enthusiast and collector of double rifles! Those two guys (dpcd & Aaron Little) are experts in the very complex methods involved in proper fitting of double rifle actions. I'm pretty good at regulating the barrels but the actual fitting of barrels to actions is out of my line. In that vain they both have forgotten more than I will ever know about the actual fitting of a double rifle action.

I have built a few double rifles on strong shotgun actions, but I only used the mono-blocking of the shot barrels sleeving in a pair of rifle barrels into the barrel butts that were already fitted to the actions. Those two guys can start with a block of steel and build a double rifle from scratch. That is a big difference! In other words they know of what they speak! I just know when it has been done correctly, by a real double rifle builder!

....................................................................... coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:
quote:

Right! I went there to try to get a double for Rusty who was just under age, and they told me he was too young and I was almost too old to be able to see the sights, but they let me buy it anyway.

..................................................................... old

Heck -
When God said let there be light-
Mac rolled over and tried to hit the Snooze button-

stir

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
Heck -
When God said let there be light-
Mac rolled over and tried to hit the Snooze button-

stir

....................... jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Mac
It's nice to be loved isn't it
Big Grin

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote