Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel length on a double
 Login/Join

posted
Is the 21.5 inch barrel on the merkel 141 to short.What is the length on the Chapuis Ugex.This will be the deciding factor for me. I will not be able to try before i buy but i know i do not like the way short shot gun swings. I was hoping the barrel's would at least be 24 inch. Which is to short on a shotgun but i am guessing a rifle will handle differently. Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 15 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Chapuis is 24". I have one in 9,3x74R.

It is a great hunting rifle and one of my favorites.

I have handled and shot the short, light Merkel 9,3. I like it, but I like short light rifles.

Handle both and get the one you like the best.

I to think that a 9,3x74R double rifle, scoped with QD mounts is one of the best hunting rifles on the planet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If short shotgun barrels bug you, short rifle barrels will too. At least that is the case for me.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have an UGEX with 24 inch barrels. I have a 450/400 3 inch with 26 inch barrels. I prefer 26 inch barrels.

Heym and Searcy manufacture 450/400 3 inch chambered rifles with 26 inch barrels.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 24" barrels on a 9.3x74 and 26" on a 450 NE and much prefer the 26" barrels. So much so that I would like to find a 9.3 with 26" tubes.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nomo

Let me add that on the 9,3 I have 24" bbls, seems perfect for the size of the rifle.

On my 450/400 I have 26" barrels, seems erfect for the size of the rifle.

On my 450 No2 I have 28" barrels Eeker, but it IS perfect for this sized rifle.

On a double above 40cal I would much rather have 28, 27, or 26" bbls than 24".

Most of the DRSS people I know much prefer 26 inch bbls over 24". Which is why we "lobbied" so hard with Heym to make them 26".

Still that "little" Merkel is sweet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote