THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Finally got my hands on it!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got my hands on it!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last march I decided to take the plunge for a SXS rifle, always liked them, got to the now or never point. Looked around, talked to some vendors and priced some guns, settled on a Krieghoff Classic. Didn't want a bigbore to start with, I have a #1 in 450/400, so I decided I'd wait on that one and see if it would justify a second one. Kinda glad I waited, looks like, maybe, the marketplace is changing a bit in my favour on selections. I expect the second one will be a 450/400 3", just have to make a decision on that, This one should give me the education I need on it.

So, I ordered the Classic, 30R Blaser, with a Recknagel swingoff, and a Big Five stock configuration, with the slig swivels and a sling and an aluminum case. Also got 1" and 30mm rings for it.

It started with a request for the 3 leaf express sight, apparently that isn't compatable with the scope mount. And that was the one thing in the whole transaction, NOT in an e-mail. And I forgot to pursue alternates on
that issue the next week. I was surprised to see the single leaf sight on it when I got pics from the vendor in Dec., when it first arrived to the vendor.
Anyway, they had regulated it with 165gr ammo, had asked for 180gr., and not shipped the rings or the base, so, the vendor sent it back. Pout.

Then the notion of a peep entered the sawdust pile and got it going. Asked for a Recknagel peep install, answer cam early Feb, pic of it and the proposed front sight on a set of barrels.
I posted those here at the time, as Norsk had been fiddling with his during that time.
May need some improvement, but, now have a pattern to work off.

Anyhow, got the call a couple of weeks ago, that it was in at the vendor's. Told hom to bring it with him for the Easter gun show here.
Waited this long, what is a couple more weeks?

Well, I went thru the whole show, avoiding that table til last, cuz I knew I wouldn't see the rest of it, if I went there first.

Pulled it out and assembled it, wow!!
Fit like a glove, red Truglo front sight, still had single leaf on it. In a bag in the case is the peep, with it's front sight. checked that out, yyyyyup!! That will work just fine. Can play with Truglo's in it.

Came home like a greased streak and set the sscope up on the 30mm rings, a Swaro Z6 1-6x24 EER. Oh yea!!! Nice mounting system!!!

Have 5 boxes of 180gr RWS factory loads to p/u in the AM, have to make some snap caps, set some seating depths on some tryout loads, and we should be good to go shoot it!!!

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks Good! tu2

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Many years of enjoyment to you!!! clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
209:

Congratulations, on a very lovely rifle with a good caliber that should suet all you hunting needs.

Enjoy it with the best of health. tu2

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle; what do these go for now?

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, and a very nice rifle as well. Hope you get to shoot if every week, and take some nice game with it as well.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty of a rifle,congrats.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's purty! Congratulations.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning rifle!

If you reload Huntingtons sells brass and Dale Nygaard sells once fird brass for about $.50 each.

How did you get the factory ammo? What did it cost?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently there is a source for factory ammo in the US. I ordered some thru a fella up here, that is where he said he sourced it from. Got 160 rds of brass and 40 165 gr loads with dual cores in them. I made a contact thru 24hr Campfire with a fella in BC that had the 5 boxes of 180gr TUG rounds, and a local store brought in some brass for his stock, as he has some O/U Zoli combo guns chambered for it. I believe there may be a dist up here that has some ammo for it , too.I should be in pretty good shape, have 200rds of brass 140 of loaded factory ammo. Bought RCBS dies for it. Have two different copies of Deva Weiderladen info on it.
Fella I got the TUGs off had done some workups with RL22. I am going to try some RL19 first.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sweet! tu2

One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
I do like the wood. very nice rifle. To me , just something wrong with a side by side and a scope. Just my personal opinion. Enjoy the rifle. Looks great over all.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I bought this gun for hunting around here, which can be thick spruce around swamps, or pine with alder undergrowth, or cutblock edges, or 10-20yr old cutblocks grown up with 1-2" poplars. So, I wanted the versatility the scope could add to it. And it helps with resale, down the road, to have the mount on it. I may make up another front sight post with a smaller Truglo pin on it.
I got out and shot it on Monday, clocked the 180gr TUG bullets at 2760 avg, got the scope setup at 25yds, then proceeded to blast off the rest of the one box of 180gr with the irons. Didn't try the peep yet. I can see the irons OK, which was something I wasn't sure about when I ordered it. This week I will see how some 180RN Sierra's work in it and likely try the peep. Set the scope at 100yds and see how it shoots there.
Very happy with it so far. Just too much fun to shoot.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Kreighoff club!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote