New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just starting to think about a double..got any opinions on Fixed Lock vs Boxlock vs Sidelock,and in these days is it necessary to have ejectors?? Thanks for the help

Posts: 561 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Any of today's boxlocks will serve you well. If you have the money sidelocks and droplocks are cool. For a working rifle, give me a boxlock. Preferably a 450/400 3 inch 26 inch barrels equipted with claw mounts for a scope.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Rusty said it best!

The side locks cost considerably more, the hand detachable sidelocks even more, the drop locks from Westley Richards are right there price wise with the other two!

IMO, the well made box lock will do anything the others will do on a practical basis, and with proper care, will serve just as long, and in my opinion are stronger than the others, and the cost difference of the other two options, over the Boxlock, will almost buy you another double rifle for a small chambering for hunting deer.

Like engraving, and gold inlays, the side lock, and drop lock are only options that really serve no purpose other that bragging rights!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
None of the above. Get a Krieghoff or a Blaser (tilting block, direct triggers) for a whole lot less than the others

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions and explanations..

Posts: 561 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three of my double rifles are sidelocks, I like sidelocks!

But they are not a requirement by any stretch of the imagination. And a good sidelock is going to be VERY expensive compared to an equally functional boxlock.

Cartridge coice is entirely driven by the game you will hunt. If you will not be hunting elephants than there is no reason to go beyond a 9.3 or 375, which can be found nice and light, under eight and nine pounds respectively.

If one or two elephants are likely, there is much to be said for the 375, imo. Maybe the 450/400 too.

If elephants end up your favorite game animal, you will end up with a 450NE or better before long.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote