THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    First post first double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First post first double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello everyone,
After years and I mean years of luckering, I finally have something worthy of posting. While lurking, I saw Mr. Sells informing this forum of the Heym 150 year, for lack of a better term, special.
I called an emergency meeting with the minister of finance and fun. She approved the necessary resolution.
I will have had it in my possession one week as of Wednesday. I shot it over the weekend for a first impression, date.
Three impressions: 1) The rifle is immaculate those who claim the heym as chunky and unfinished looking will have to concede. 2) Thank you Mr. Sells for directing me to the splinter forend and g block frame. The rifle is still svelte. However, recoil control is greatly enhanced. This observation is in relation to my nine pound Lott and other doubles I have held but have not shot. 3) I shot the rifle 11 times this weekend. I am not concerned about groups, but my impression was the rifle was better then I. I did pull two shots going to fast for my skill level. Pictures to follow soon.
At risk of making wild Canadian claims, I believe I have the best double rifle in the world. If you have a double rifle you do also.

Posts: 12236 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One correction to the above post: it should say lurking instead of luckering.

Posts: 12236 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Hope you have years of fun with it. What caliber?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are years and years of experience on everything concerning double rifles here on AR. Just ask away when needed.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you,
The caliber is 500ne, 26 inch barrels, shoe lump construction, and 40ish percent engraving, plus the remaing standard Heym options. If anyone wants pictures sooner for posting purposes please pm email, and I will send them. As is I expect to have picture posting figured out this weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LHeym500, welcome.

Congratulations on your first double rifle.

My first double rifle (excluding a paradox) was a 500-3 1/4" NE.

You may already know, but a 500 with splinter forend means a glove after just a few shots Smiler I learnt the hard way.

As mentioned, there is a wealth of information here and huge knowledge of DR's

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Thank you,
The caliber is 500ne, 26 inch barrels, shoe lump construction, and 40ish percent engraving, plus the remaing standard Heym options. If anyone wants pictures sooner for posting purposes please pm email, and I will send them. As is I expect to have picture posting figured out this weekend.

I have one of your rifle's siblings, same barrel length, same caliber, a little less embellished. Mine is about six years old. It has been to Africa twice and has accounted for multiple elephants. It leaves again in a few days to add another elephant to the ledger. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have out of mine.

tu2

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Outstanding rifle and cartridge, congrats. Next to the .450 NE No. 2 the .500 NE is the best (just kidding).

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LHeym500, Well done. Congratulations to you and your minister. 26 inch berrels are what I would choose too.
I, for one, am jealous! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3406 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

Posts: 29 | Location: QLD Australia | Registered: 17 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.I looks forward to the pics.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Welcome. Sounds like a good deal getting the Minister's approval. I have the same issue.

How about a picture???

jumping

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Have fun!!!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To all that have responded, I just wanted to say thank you.
I believe in returning politeness with politeness.
Mr. Use Enough Gun: Congradulations on your new searcy as well.
Mr. PSmith: I have always had a thing for straight wall cases, but
there is a lot to like about the 450no2.
Mr. Mjines, I remember when you posted your newest Heym with the gold triangle
in the rear site. The 500 cult brought me to the round.
Mr. Shootaway, thank you. I enjoyed your elephant hunt post

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the DRSS!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Biebs:
I think I sent you pictures.
Thank you,
Joshua Lowe

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
There are years and years of experience on everything concerning double rifles here on AR. Just ask away when needed.

And there are guys (read one) who offer jabs and semi-witty comments without being asked. Who could that be?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here we go:

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym rifles never disappoint. Congratulations on a superb hunting instrument.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
VERY Nice !!! I know you'll enjoy it ! Get the Finance Dept. prepped for the next one Big Grin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joshua;
What a lovely double rifle you have.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a honey!
The more you shoot it, the more you will love it.
Are you hand loading? It's the only way you will shoot it enough.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Marty:
I do not hand load. I have stocked piled 200 rounds of factory ammo while I waited to take possession, hornady and Barnes. The rifle was regulated with hornady. I have not shot any Barnes as the most availble ammo is hornady, but I expect it will work just fine. Like I said, my first impression Courtney is better than I am.
I know reloading is my next stop on this obsession. If certain politicians want to replace my evil military design bolt, lever, and single shot rifles with double rifles I might make the trade. The minister and I are preparing a 2 year economic package complete with a state visit to Africa.
To all that have responded thank you. If I did not respond to you by name it is because it does not show screen names in the message function. Thank you Mr. Sells for delivering more than your promise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome to drive down to my place. Just bring your rifle, dies, brass, and some powder and bullets. We can shoot and reload as we go as my reloading shop is within 25 yards of where we would stand to shoot at the 50 yard gong.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Wolfe:
Thank you for the invention. When the summer gets out of here I will take you up on your hospitality.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I sure wish my minister of finance was amenable to even open discussions. Lovely rifle.

Frowner

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote