New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dry Fire on Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How bad is dry firing the newer double rifles like Heym, Merkel, Krieghoff, Sabatti, etc.? I see these guns at Cabelas and other gun stores where anybody can handle them. What keeps people that don't know any better from pulling the triggers? This would be a concern of mine if I wanted to buy one of these doubles, not knowing how many times it's been dry fired.

Posts: 28 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with dry firing a double is that if the firing pins stay forward and extend past the breach face they could get damaged or even broken when the action is opened. If the rifle has springs on the firing pins that force them to retract into the breach there is no danger of damage. I don't know if Sabattis are so equipped.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dry firing isn't good but the small number
of times it might have been done, I wouldn't
worry about it.

And if a new double is that fragile, you have
to wonder ?

I would have thought most people would know
not to dry fire guns, is that the case or do
you just have a load of dumb people ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't dry fire a double. Just get a set of snap caps why take a chance?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think customer dry firing is a valid concern, particularly with older guns. It's quite common for the return springs to be broken.

Some manufacturers state that it is OK to dry fire their products, but my personal rule is to never do so without snap caps in place. That became my personal rule many years ago when I accidentally dry fired my first hammer single shot .410. I heard something hit the living room wall and then the floor. After a little searching, I found the end of my firing pin.

It may not be a common occurrence but it made a believer out of me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that the newer doubles should be a little less fragile than the old ones. I would never dry fire one though. The good news is I have never heard of anybody taking a double hunting and realize it doesn't go bang because of broken firing pins. Hopefully they are more mechanically reliable than I give them credit for.

Posts: 28 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Under what condition does one need to double discharge a double ?

I can only think of one scenario

Somebody screwed up the first shot

Right ?

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
I would have thought most people would know
not to dry fire guns, is that the case or do
you just have a load of dumb people ?

I have dry fired my centerfire bolt guns thousands of times. Many competiton rifle shooters dry fire their rifles thousands of times per year. Would have thought a modern double rifle would be as robust, however, I ordered a set of snap caps just the same. Dry firing is an excellent way to develop shooting skills, especially offhand shooting skills--I thought THAT was well known. Guess we were both wrong........ Wink

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEVER dry fire a double. Shotgun or rifle! If you must pull the triggers do it with snap caps, that's what they are made for.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
NEVER dry fire a double. Shotgun or rifle! If you must pull the triggers do it with snap caps, that's what they are made for.

...................................................................+1 coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
...................................................................+2 fishing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.......................................... +3 horse

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote