THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Went to possibly buy a DR today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went to possibly buy a DR today
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
But, it was not to be. Took a couple of guns to trade, to Cabelas. Almost NIB S$W M27 8 3/8 nickle, maybe a box thru it, with wood box, acc. and manual. A Valmet 412S in 9.3 x 74R and a Winchester 1895 rifle in 35 winchester.

They offered $495 for the Smith, saying they would put a price of about $600 on it (M29 in case had $899 price) and $800 for the Valmet, saying they would sell it for $900 (Would only believe it when I saw it). On the Winny, said worth about $2,400, probably be able to only get $1,500 out of it and offered $1,020!!! Must have thought I looked like a sucker, but not this ol boy.

Went home with my guns and put them in the safe.

Oh well, will come across a deal some day, but not today. Will have to "slum" it with my Sabatti 45-70 I guess.

Rant over, thanks for your patience.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only obama will screw you worse than cabela's. I took my Wildey 45WM there a couple weeks ago. The dork offered me $900 trade on a P64 300 H&H. He wanted to show me theirs in the computer, it listed at $1700 with one mag and no box. I got a spare and the original box and papers. He explained the difference by saying they had to double all of their trades according to corporate.
I have trouble buying anything there.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that is specific to Cabelas. I would be suprised if you could find many shops that would give you more that 50% of the value.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rule is, if you want top $, then you have to do the work yourself and sell it yourself.

I sometimes think people expect places to pay for the shop, the infrastructure, the staff and advertising it and still pay top dollar.

Just my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
The deal you can strike depends on the particular store and who you work with as well.

I've traded an uncounted number of guns in at Cabela's and always get a fair deal, but I think part of it is I've dealt pretty much at one store since it opened.

Having said that, I think the corporate poobahs are exercising more top down control these days.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't asking for top dollar, just a fair price. Especially since I was going to buy one of their DR's in stock.
Kind of like if you had one of the Searcy field grade rifles and went in and they offered you $4K for it. Would you take that?
And then pay $5K for a gun they probably paid $3K for. Let them make $2K off their gun and another $2K off mine? Don't think so.
If they had been reasonable, even if we didn't make a deal, I would do the legwork and sell my guns and buy theirs. The odds on that happening just went to slim to none. Treat them just like a car dealer that acts the same way, just don't go back. They won't miss my business I am sure, and I won't miss theirs.

DRSS
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
It has taken more than 4 decades for me to come to believe what my father has always told me:

"Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it."

I sold 17 rifles and handguns to buy my doubles. Did I get what i had paid (particularly on the rifles all scoped with Leupold VX-3 or Vari-X III? Not even close.

My gun guy - with whom I have been dealing for decades - treats me well when I am buying and gets me what I want when I want it. He gets 15% of the selling price and together we decide on what to sell for. I usually ask more than he thinks it will sell for and when it sits for a few months and doesnt move, we lower the price - usually to what he originally said and it is usally gone in a couple of weeks. It's not a ploy - he would get more $$$ if he sold it for what I thought it worth. It's just the reality of this economy, I guess.

But...

Even though they sold and I got less than I thought I should (remembering my dad's advice) I always felt I got my money's worth because I enjoyed every shot whether at targets or live game. And for me, that's enough.

If you want to get what you think you should, you probably can - but you'll have to put it up for sale yourself. Most FFLs, if you have a good guy in your area, will do the paperwork for a the transfer for a small fee ($25 - $50) and the firearm goes from you to your dealer to wherever.

I am not saying to take what you were offered - the value of what you have vs. what you want is a personal thing. I can only say that i don't think what you were offered vs. the selling price was too far off from what I have seen and experienced. I hope you get top dollar for your trades or better yet - keep them and save for the double you want.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
I agree completely with PSmith. I sold 26 handguns in one sitting last fall to one of the Cabela's. A better transaction you could not have imagined. But, you've got to do your homework. I had several phone conversations, emails etc., gave them a list with full descriptions to peruse and set up an appointment for face to face meeting. The Cabela's representative was as nice as he could be, I believe he was their National Gun Buyer. We were both smiling at the end.

Plus, I've purchased handguns, rifles and a DR from them and in every case came away with the deal I wanted. I've been selling/trading guns for 50+ years so I'm not exactly a neophite.

My only problem with Cabela's is they are not in my home state. However, that may be a blessing.

Just my two cents.....

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockrat:
Wasn't asking for top dollar, just a fair price. Especially since I was going to buy one of their DR's in stock.
Kind of like if you had one of the Searcy field grade rifles and went in and they offered you $4K for it. Would you take that?
And then pay $5K for a gun they probably paid $3K for. Let them make $2K off their gun and another $2K off mine? Don't think so.
If they had been reasonable, even if we didn't make a deal, I would do the legwork and sell my guns and buy theirs. The odds on that happening just went to slim to none. Treat them just like a car dealer that acts the same way, just don't go back. They won't miss my business I am sure, and I won't miss theirs.

It's not the same. The Searcy takes up the same space in the rack as your $1,000 guns. It takes the salesman the same time to write up the paper work. The only extra expense is the extra carrying cost of the larger amount of money holding the more expensive Searcy. They can pay a larger percentage of the retail price for the Searcy and still make a good profit because the overhead is almost the same for both. The less expensive the gun is the more markup they must have to pay their overhead.

If you want to sell them yourself put them on Gunsamerica or Gunbroker and lower the price every week so that they all sell in 90 days. Then you will find out what such guns are really worth.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have been okay if he had not listened in on a conversation I had the week before with another employee there, and specifically asked me to make a 26 mile one way drive into town so we could work out a deal. If I am silly enough to take a firearm there to sell, then I get what they want to give me. If they ask, then they need to understand the value is higher. I expect they had a potential buyer for it, and just wanted to get it for less. I turned down $1200 for it two weeks later at a gunshow.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

The issues are the same everywhere. Here in NZ the market is so small that they sell far fewer guns and so the margins have to be higher. I have found that selling guns by myself has always got me a higher price. But not always what I paid for the gun or what I thought it was worth. I love old classics. I paid $2600 FOR A CLASSIC 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer in GOOD CONDITIO0N. But I couldn't move it until I dropped the price to $2k. The right buyer was prepared to pay that for my rifle with dies, cases and 2 packets of Norma ammo. On the other hand I have made big profits by trading / swapping a Rem Mohawke 600 243Win for a Tikka 308 & swapped again & ended up with a Sako Hunter 308! Just looked for the guys who wanted the particular rifle that I had.

I also found that buying older guns for a bargain and doing them up to sell rarely works.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
"Only Obama will screw you worse than Cabela's?"
Rich, my friend, you have never experienced the screwings available from Mr. Riplinger of Track of the Wolf.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16518 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, it was not to be. Took a couple of guns to trade, to Cabelas. Almost NIB S$W M27 8 3/8 nickle, maybe a box thru it, with wood box, acc. and manual. A Valmet 412S in 9.3 x 74R and a Winchester 1895 rifle in 35 winchester.

They offered $495 for the Smith, saying they would put a price of about $600 on it (M29 in case had $899 price) and $800 for the Valmet, saying they would sell it for $900 (Would only believe it when I saw it). On the Winny, said worth about $2,400, probably be able to only get $1,500 out of it and offered $1,020!!! Must have thought I looked like a sucker, but not this ol boy.

Went home with my guns and put them in the safe.

Oh well, will come across a deal some day, but not today. Will have to "slum" it with my Sabatti 45-70 I guess.

Rant over, thanks for your patience.

Rockrat,

I might be able to help you out, depending on how quickly you want to move these guns. PM me if you want to hear some options. Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I tried to buy a Sabatti at Cabelas in Fort Worth, Sunday. The two guys wouldn't give me the time of day, but they spent plenty of time showing $1,500.00 Remmy 700s to some DUDE in a button down shirt with slicked back hair, he didn't buy anything and I left with my cash and a shitty attitude.

Screw 'em I'll spend my 5 grand elsewhere.

Posts: 41831 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Set a realistic reserve and sell them yourself on GB or AA, or at a set price on GA or GI.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the OTHER HAND, I bought a nearly perfect Heym 458 double with an extra set of 12 gauge barrels for $9000, including the tax. Roll Eyes

No, I did not feel dirty that night.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooops.....forgot to say it was at Gander....

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You stole that Heym, I'm calling the cops. Seriously you should send that .458 out and get it rechambered to a rimmed cartridge. It's easy and cheap.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wish someone along with, or other than Cabela's carried the Sabattis'. Might get a little competition going on between two or more. I know what the Sabattis' cost Cabelas as I had one on a "wish list" with a dealer when they were supposed to be imported by USSG. Its hard to sell off good guns to line the pockets of Cabelas.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
I just wish someone along with, or other than Cabela's carried the Sabattis'. Might get a little competition going on between two or more. I know what the Sabattis' cost Cabelas as I had one on a "wish list" with a dealer when they were supposed to be imported by USSG. Its hard to sell off good guns to line the pockets of Cabelas.

I've got to agree with Magnum Hunter here. Before Cabela's bought out the Sabatti's, one of my distributors, Bill Hicks & Co., had the Sabbattis listed for the upcoming year. I had 3 of them pre-sold to customers in my area. When I called Bill Hicks to order, they told me Sabbatti sold out to Cabelas and I should call USSG. I called them. They said they signed an agreement with Cableas which gave USSG security in the US market. It really hurt the overall market as Cabelas has a monopoly on the market. They're tough to deal with anyway when it comes to guns; and I'm a dealer. Sabatti could sell alot more guns if they were in the hands of dealers across the country, and not just monopolized by one mega-retailer.

I'd like to owm a Sabatti personally, but not going to get one from Cabelas. I'll wait until they open their arms to dealers across the country. Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My recent dealings with Cabelas in Buda Texas was about perfect. I work outside the US without phone access so via email put forth my desires explaining my situation. They tracked down the two I wanted and had them in Buda when I arrived for home leave weeks later. All the while, they kept me abreast of their progress. I could not be more pleased with my transaction.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I'm with Boxhead,
I ahve had nothing but 100% satisfaction with all of the Cabelas I have dealt with in searching out and ultimately buying my Sabattis.
No they wont budge on price - but it seems that they can't keep them on the shelves at the asking prices. Like any supply and demand practice - you lower the price when you need to move product - not a problem, apparently. I am actually quite happy that the prices havent gone up given the high demand and current supply. If you wait until a few pop up onthe used market and I am sure they will, I am also sure you will get a deal with which you are happy.

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
My recent dealings with Cabelas in Buda Texas was about perfect. I work outside the US without phone access so via email put forth my desires explaining my situation. They tracked down the two I wanted and had them in Buda when I arrived for home leave weeks later. All the while, they kept me abreast of their progress. I could not be more pleased with my transaction.

As I recall, you purchased 2 Sabbattis. Did you get a discount? I bet not. I try to take care of my customers a little better than that. Customer loyalty should come with a price, not from exclusivity for a product line. Just my opinion. Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
I'm with Boxhead,
I ahve had nothing but 100% satisfaction with all of the Cabelas I have dealt with in searching out and ultimately buying my Sabattis.
No they wont budge on price - but it seems that they can't keep them on the shelves at the asking prices. Like any supply and demand practice - you lower the price when you need to move product - not a problem, apparently. I am actually quite happy that the prices havent gone up given the high demand and current supply. If you wait until a few pop up onthe used market and I am sure they will, I am also sure you will get a deal with which you are happy.

I work hard to build customer loyalty and satisfaction, and that usually requires a little deal or discount, trustworthiness, and expertise. If customer loyalty and satisfaction comes from just having exclusivity of a product line, then it's not customer loyalty and satisfaction, it's a forced monopoly of "be happy with what you are offered" . And why isn't Cabelas offering the case colored guns in other calibers? They have decided what you want, for you, take that .45-70 or leave it. Before Cabelas made their deal with Sabbatti, my distributors had other calibers advertised for the Sabbatti case colored guns. Gun dealers across America would have asked for more options and would have gotten them, and maybe still will. I wouldn't be surprised to see some stiff competition arise for Sabbatti; it's been long overdue,and when the market smells success, a company usually comes forth and fills the niche. Sabbatti made a critical error in judgement in selling the rights for distribution to Calelas for awhile. I wouldn't dare inform my customers as to the quality or value of these guns, I can't sell them one. I'll sell them a Merkel, Rizzini, used DR, bolt gun, single shot, etc., but not mention a Sabbatti. That's just business, and bad business for Sabbatti in the long term. Just my opinion, developed over 2 years watching this thing unfold. Mike

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
You do know there's a "classifieds" on AR, right?

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
I'm with Boxhead,

I work hard to build customer loyalty and satisfaction, and that usually requires a little deal or discount, trustworthiness, and expertise. If customer loyalty and satisfaction comes from just having exclusivity of a product line, then it's not customer loyalty and satisfaction, it's a forced monopoly of "be happy with what you are offered" . And why isn't Cabelas offering the case colored guns in other calibers? They have decided what you want, for you, take that .45-70 or leave it. Before Cabelas made their deal with Sabbatti, my distributors had other calibers advertised for the Sabbatti case colored guns. Gun dealers across America would have asked for more options and would have gotten them, and maybe still will. I wouldn't be surprised to see some stiff competition arise for Sabbatti; it's been long overdue,and when the market smells success, a company usually comes forth and fills the niche. Sabbatti made a critical error in judgement in selling the rights for distribution to Calelas for awhile. I wouldn't dare inform my customers as to the quality or value of these guns, I can't sell them one. I'll sell them a Merkel, Rizzini, used DR, bolt gun, single shot, etc., but not mention a Sabbatti. That's just business, and bad business for Sabbatti in the long term. Just my opinion, developed over 2 years watching this thing unfold. Mike

Mike,

That's exactly why I drive over 250 miles back to the dealer I have used for so many years for everything other than the Sabatti even though there are dealers within 5 miles of my home. I even had the Sabattis transferred to him.
BUT - if you want a new one now, Cabelas is where you buy them - and again, I have had nothing but good experiences with the folk at multiple different Cabelas.
As far as I know, same sort of thing with Apple products - the price is what it is. You dont like it, don't buy it (and I don't - except I did get an iPod as a gift).
Anyway, for now, it is what it is and people have the choice of a Sabatti from Cabela, a Verney-Carron or Chapuis from Kebco (or other dealers if there are any in the US) or a host of other doubles from you and other good folk throughout.
May not have a choice as to where to get a Sabatti, but there are plenty of choices for double buffs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas might be OK to deal with but I won't run over there and get one because I know what they are paying for them (cost). I have a problem with the markup Cabelas is getting. No problem with them making a profit but I think they are gouging.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figure if they give 70% of what they think they can sell a gun for, then the cost of the 470NE I was going for, is somewhere in the neighborhood of $3K or less. Suspect less is closer to the truth.

As a guy I know, who used to work there said, they don't care if they "p$@s off" someone in a possible trade, there are plenty of others coming in to buy guns, they won't miss one customer.

Will buy my Sabatti or another DR from somewhere else.

DRSS
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rockrat,
Less is correct.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel better today. They offered me a thousand dollars for an octagon barreled 1895 (grandson of the original owner brought it to me to sell) in 30-03. About 90%. I suggested the salesperson might need an update on values. He gets their new Gun Digest Blue Book out and shows me what a new one (miroku) sells for used. Then we went two pages more and I showed him what an octagon barreled one was selling for, and the premium for the 30-03. He was amazed...

Rich