New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel .500 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A local gunshop has a 140-2 in .500 NE that I looked at yesterday (I don't think of the place as a mecca for safari hunters, but...). The rifle had a case, but no paperwork. Do they normally come with a test target or indicate the load they are regulated for? I thought it had good balance, but the sights are post front and narrow U rear.

Telly

Posts: 163 | Location: Vincennes, IN | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Telly:

Yes, my Merkel came with a target and paperwork. The Merkels are regulated with Wolfgang Romey ammo.

The sights are the next thing I'm going to change.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Telly:
A local gunshop has a 140-2 in .500 NE that I looked at yesterday (I don't think of the place as a mecca for safari hunters, but...). The rifle had a case, but no paperwork. Do they normally come with a test target or indicate the load they are regulated for? I thought it had good balance, but the sights are post front and narrow U rear.

Telly

Telley, the SAFARI Merkels have two rear blades on the rear sight, the fixed blade is regulated to 50 MTRS, and the flip-up is regulated at 100 mtrs. I have a 140A 470NE and it weighes 10.7 lbs. The 500NE is the same rifle with a bigger hole through the barrels, and it actually weighs less than the 470NE, by about 4 oz.

The W.Romey ammo is the likely regulating ammo used in their regulation, however, all double rifles are handloading rifles, if one expects to get the best from thier rifle. My rifle shoots Federal, 500 gr TB solids OK, but I will be useing my own handloads as soon as I can find a set of dies. The very high cost of factory ammo, from anyone, is enough reason for me to handload, even if it shot perfectly with the factory stuff! Eeker

Does the rifle you are looking at still have the plastic buttplate? If so, I think I know why it is for sale, while still new! If the price is right, you will not be sorry you bought this rifle, I can assure you. I have two Merkel double rifles, a 140E 9.3X74R, and the 140A Safari 470NE , and both are my two favorite doubles in my collection, to hunt with. They are tough, and ballance nicely. They just happen to fit me perfectly, so when I replaced the plastic buttplate with real recoil pads, a Decelarator on the 9.3, and a Kick-Eez on the 470NE, I left them the same length. IMO, the plastic buttplate is only there to protect the wood till the new owner can install a recoil pad, adjusting his personal length of pull in the process.

Let us know if you get this rifle, we need more members in the DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTER'S SOCIETY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Before you buy used, I found Lhook7 his Merkel 140.2 in 500 for $8000 brand new... so unless this is a great deal..$6500-7000, you might message Lee when he gets his in this week to see how happy he is... the dealer usually has 470 500 and 500/416s to choose from..

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Merkel 470 came with target and also it was regulated with Federal ammunition

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Telly,

Like 470CapstickA2 said above, he found mine on Gunsamerica. The gun shop is Classic Arms in Cordova, TN. Their phone # is: (901) 757-4655. I could be wrong, but I think all they have in stock right now is a 500/416. They do have good prices, and I think they have some more DRs on order.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Telly
My experiance with Merkels are that they shoot well. Mine Shoots very well but it's not a 140. A freind of mine bought a .500 140 and said it shoots like a dream. I think the most amazing thing is that you found one here in IN. Hopefully with the weather we've been having it won't wash away before you get to buy it. I'm going home to Alaska next week after spending the winter here and hope to dry out

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, my Merkel came with a target and paperwork. The Merkels are regulated with Wolfgang Romey ammo.

577 Nitro Express -

It is interesting to note that I was told by a Chicago area dealer that Merkel 500 Nitros are regulated with Superior ammo.

It would seem to be very odd for different ammo brands to used for regulation within one country for one caliber.

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
577 Nitro Express -

It is interesting to note that I was told by a Chicago area dealer that Merkel 500 Nitros are regulated with Superior ammo.

It would seem to be very odd for different ammo brands to used for regulation within one country for one caliber.

Don:

That sounds "fishy" to me. I was told it was "WR" - Wolfgang Romey ammo. Which makes sense, since the gun was regualted in Germany.

The person sold me the gun and the importer (GSI), both told me it was Romey ammo.

However, Superior Ammo shoots well in my double.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don:

That sounds "fishy" to me. I was told it was "WR" - Wolfgang Romey ammo. Which makes sense, since the gun was regualted in Germany.

The person sold me the gun and the importer (GSI), both told me it was Romey ammo.

I agree with the "fishy" comment as that is what I thought when I was first told this and especially after reading your posting.

However, Superior Ammo shoots well in my double.

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don:

The person who told you that may have gotten his information crossed.

I BELIEVE Butch uses Superior Ammo to regulate his DRs (except the .470).

Just a thought.

577NitroExpress