Find
Notify
Tools

1st Double rifle and report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
I just got a Chapuis 9.3 x 74R. I bought it used from the classifieds. I am so new to this that today my lifetime total of shots fired from a double rifle is eleven with only 7 from mine. I used factory Norma Oryx 286 gr cartridges as that is what it was regulated with. Nothing fancy yet, I just wanted to try it on paper. Feel free to critique, flame, insult, or give me advice. I will be handloading soon. Here is my report:

I wanted to chrony the Norma Oryx 286 grain cartridge to see what velocity it is regulated with. It shoots slower than I expected at around 2250 fps. At 50 meters with open sights and shooting off of sticks while sitting in a chair, the first shot went into the center of the target. On the next attempt, the rear trigger felt so hard I thought the safety was still on. I ended up opening the breech to see what was wrong and my ammo fell out into the dirt. Nothing wrong, I didn't realize the rear trigger is set harder so you don't double the rifle on the first shot. Loaded up 2 more and got the awful group in the first pic. Recoil is not bad but it sure hits my cheekbone. I also think my ear muffs were hitting the rifle in recoil.

I tried it again, this time shooting off the bench after the barrels cooled off. I took off my earmuffs and used ear plugs. Much, much better! That is about a 2.2 inch group. I think once I get the hang of it and get over the double's idiosyncrasies I will do better. Right now it will shoot a minute of buffalo.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fold Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good. Just remember not to shoot it off a sled, for better results. I assume the chapuis was regulated for that load... mine was. You'll probably be able to do even better after handloading.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a 9,3x74R Chapuis for several years.

My reloads do a little under 2250.
With them I have taken a lot of game. lenty of power. I have taken a kudu at a little over 300 yards, all manner of plains game including giraffe, and a cape buff, one shot 286gr Woodleigh Soft, and an elephant at 5 yards, one 285 Woodleigh Solid.

It is one of my favorite hunting rifles.

You will not get Sniper rifle accuracy from a double but I have never thought that I needed a more accurate rifle when in the field hunting.

Are you going to scope it?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
Looks good. Just remember not to shoot it off a sled, for better results. I assume the chapuis was regulated for that load... mine was. You'll probably be able to do even better after handloading.

That was the factory load that was used on the regulated target included with the rifle. I was so excited I forgot to check which was right or left barrel. From what I understand, IMR 4064 is a good powder. I don't have any (got lots of R15) but I will try and pick up some Thursday.

DRSS

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have been using a 9,3x74R Chapuis for several years.

My reloads do a little under 2250.
With them I have taken a lot of game. lenty of power. I have taken a kudu at a little over 300 yards, all manner of plains game including giraffe, and a cape buff, one shot 286gr Woodleigh Soft, and an elephant at 5 yards, one 285 Woodleigh Solid.

It is one of my favorite hunting rifles.

You will not get Sniper rifle accuracy from a double but I have never thought that I needed a more accurate rifle when in the field hunting.

Are you going to scope it?

It came with a 1.75 X 6 Leupold scope and mounts. Right now I am shooting it without the scope but would like to use it. Will the scope make it shoot differently?

DRSS

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Your last group looks great! My chapuis was also regulated for the Oryx load and it shoots very well in my rifle. I have been able to duplicate this load with other bullets and powder and would be happy to share my load data if you are interested. These guns do produce quite a bit of recoil due to their light weight. A good recoil pad will help a lot if you do not already have one. As for the triggers, yes the Factory rifles have a strong trigger pull. I also thought something was wrong with mine and opened the action the first time I pulled the rear trigger. If you Contact Dale on this forum he can give you the name of a smith that will fix that problem for you….well worth the money and he has done many Chapuis rifles.

Keep shooting and enjoy your rifle…..they are a lot of fun!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis shoots good with scope and without.

I would probably develop my loads with the scope.

My Chapuis does not cross even at 300 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it to Pat Laib in Spicer, Mn for trigger job. That is who Dale recommends and he did a great job with reasonable turnaround on my Chapuis.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAC

My Chapuis triggers might seem heavy to some off of a bench,but in the field they feel fine to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bet with an Elephant or Cape Bull facing you at 10 feet those triggers will be light as a feather!

I am claiming membership thru the back door; an SPR-22. It will keep me from "jonezing" until I can get a better one.

Congratulations, you are starting with a great rifle, and as you see; capable of taking any game in the world cleanly.

Rich
Buff KIller

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I bet with an Elephant or Cape Bull facing you at 10 feet those triggers will be light as a feather!

I am claiming membership thru the back door; an SPR-22. It will keep me from "jonezing" until I can get a better one.

Rich, there is nothing wrong with a SPR22.
At its price point it would be a fun hunting double.
Congratulations, you are starting with a great rifle, and as you see; capable of taking any game in the world cleanly.

Rich
Buff KIller

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RAC

My Chapuis was also regulated with the 286 gr Oryx. RL 15 and 4064 seemd to be a bit fast and did not regulate well. H4831SC is the cats meow for my rifle and you will see lots of similar posts recommending this powder for the 9.3 Chapuis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RAC brought his Chapuis 9.3x74 over this afternoon for chronograph and load work up. He has a winner, for sure and certain. He should be back home in another hour or so, and I will let him fill in the details.

This is the first Chapuis that I have seen and handled, and I am impressed. You can spend a lot more money on another make of rifle and be hard pressed to find one that will shoot with this one, let alone any better. Frankly, the fit and finish are a lot better than I expected--it is indeed a NICE rifle with very good wood and flawless inletting and checkering. As far as I am concerned, if I were in the market for a double rifle, I would look no farther than the Chapuis. This one is definitely a keeper.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote