THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Almost no Sabattis left at Cabelas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost no Sabattis left at Cabelas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I think Sean1975 was right. I was checking inventory at Cabelas and they only seem to
have about a half a dozen in their entire system.
Maybe Guns International did buy them all up.

Interesting.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see Steve Barnett has 6 or 7 listed, and advertised as being regulated by Ken Owen. Maybe he's buying them up and having Ken get them to shoot.

I don't see any listings under WDP Safaris, who is Daeid Powell, the owner of Guns Intl.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe Guns International did buy them all up.

WTF? Sounds very absurd.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs: I don't see any listings under WDP Safaris, who is Dave Powell, the owner of Guns Intl.

Jon, I've known David since the early 1980's. You are the only person I know to call him Dave. How long have you known David? Confused

BTW, David's listings are "W David Powell" on G.I.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple years...great guy. I believe he took his 51st Ele this past season. We've bought/sold/traded rifles, and I use his website. We just visited at the DSC. I changed his name to David above, which is what I call him, even though it sounds a bit formal.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs: I believe he took his 51st Ele this past season.

Really?

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I see Steve Barnett has 6 or 7 listed, and advertised as being regulated by Ken Owen. Maybe he's buying them up and having Ken get them to shoot.

I don't see any listings under WDP Safaris, who is Daeid Powell, the owner of Guns Intl.

Ken Owen Regulated my Shot & Ball and did a spectacular job!

I think Steve's prices on those are high.

JDA

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello

I noticed that at DSC this year they did not have a single Sabbatti st their booth.
Sign of things to come ?

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
quote:

JDA

I wonder how many of them shot just fine and they didn't have to touch and how many they actually reworked?

Full time professional trapper

Posts: 313 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]I wonder how many of them shot just fine and they didn't have to touch and how many they actually reworked?[/QUOTE]

Interesting question!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trapper Tom:
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
quote:

JDA

I wonder how many of them shot just fine and they didn't have to touch and how many they actually reworked?

Not sure, but if I come across a Sabatti in 45-70 at the right price, I'll own it. Years ago I got rid of a 45-70 built by Dietrich Apel on a Ruger Red-Label and have regretted ever since. I bought a Siace and that turned out to be a dud, so I'm hoping I can pick up a Sabatti and call it good.

Other than the regulation issues, they seem to be stout as hell so the waiting game begins...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JDA, If you don't mind being caught with a cheap rifle the little Baikal in 45-70 can be bought for $700 - $800. With a little tinkering to get the barrels regulated and a little work on the triggers they are a blast to shoot with low pressure loads.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
We talked to some dealer at the SHOT show who said they were the new Sabatti importer and that Cabela's wouldn't be handling them anymore.

I'm sorry, but I don't recall the name of the new importer.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Sabattis are great guns and I never had a problem with regulation. They shoot like a charm.
But, maybe doubles market being saturated?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what base would you use on a Sabatti, if you were going to mount a reflex sight?

thanks

Hartley

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sabattis big bores come with a Weaver base that screws right onto the rib. Mount your sight to that. I don't know about the small frames if they come with a base or not.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
When I put on the supplied Weaver-style bases on my .45/70 Sabatti, I found that you couldn't use the iron sights due to the bases being so high.

I bought a set of Talley gunsmith bases, had them milled to fit as low as possible, drilled corresponding and countersunk screw holes and now I can use my QD Talley rings. The bases cost me $20. I don't know what my 'smith charged for the fitting because he put on a better recoil pad at the same time, but the total bill was $160 to include the pad.

Dang if I'd have a double with unusable iron sights. JMHO.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
On the big frame guns, you can see the sights, barely.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
We talked to some dealer at the SHOT show who said they were the new Sabatti importer and that Cabela's wouldn't be handling them anymore.

I'm sorry, but I don't recall the name of the new importer.

I wonder if they will be designated "Cabela's version" and "post-Cabela's version." Wink

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enquired about the condition of the muzzles of one of the guns still at a Cabelas - this was the reply...

Hello Matt:

The muzzle appears quite good but with the light hitting the edge just right , there is a suggestion of grinding an a couple points on the edge.
This tinkering you mentioned is actually the processed used in regulating the point of impact by grinding the edge of the muzzle to change the point of impact. Not the time honored method but, appears to be effective and less time consuming to produce results which certainly is reflected in the price point of the rifle.

Best Regards

rotflmo

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had a working relationship with Cabelas for many years and know some of the management. In December, I was told that Cabelas would no longer import Sabatti double rifles. They felt the market was saturated and sales were slowing, along with the Sabatti "stigma".
The 450nitro I bought as an investment piece is a bargain in my eyes, well finished and properly regulated from the factory. My advise is get one now, if you can find an example without the muzzle grinding.

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I’ve only dealt with the one Sabatti .470 that a friend bought so that isn’t much experience in the real world, but it makes me a mega-expert beyond all reproach on the web… His gun looks better than I expected for the money and the function was perfect.

The muzzles were uniform and definitely not ground.

But we used a solid standing rest (and in a former life I regulated doubles for a little while) and I can say in all confidence that this gun wasn’t regulated (or at least not regulated well). Given, the gun was supposedly regulated with Hornady ammo and my friend only had Barnes ammo so it’s possible the bullets impact VASTLY DIFFERENTLY, but I doubt it. We were shooting the gun at 50 yards and the bullets were printing consistently diverging by about 10 to 11”. I can’t imagine that the Hornady’s regulate that differently from the Barnes, but maybe some of you folks have had different experience. If so please mention it. In the meantime my friends gun should be back from being (re) regulated soon and we’re looking forward to taking it after some pigs.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still working on my Sabatti 450. So far so good. I have posted this pic before. Practice load at 50 yds. POI is high and I am working on that.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
None left at Dundee store.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote