Find
Notify
Tools

Father's Day Shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
I headed out to Cal's today for a little Father's Day impromptu shoot. I had my 500/450 and Cal brought out his 450#2, 475#2, and 4 bore. The weather was cooperative and we had a great time. After 19 shots from the 450-470s and 8 shots from the 4 bore I was verging on punch drunk. Here's some pictures:

Cal's 475#2 top and my 500/450 bottom.

450#2, 475#2, and 500/450.

The "4".

Shooting the 4 bore.

Checking the targets.

You'll have to forgive my crappy recoil pad at the momment. Can you say temporary fix! It's headed to Griffin & Howe for a proper job this winter. Happy Father's Day to all the fathers!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, those aresome nice pictures! I'm sorry I missed it. I really like the 'proper' contour of the pad on the 475#2. I've tired to explain that shape to 'smiths several times to no avail. I'll be back in town Friday and will make it to Cal's next Sunday to shoot 4/8/10-bore.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great fun, great pictures -- Thanks
I didn't see a single MOSQUITO in any of the shots, must be too much powder smoke kept em
away.

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I thought I'd clarify a bit on the 4-bore targets.
A friend called and said, "You didn't hit the target!" To explain a bit. We were shooting very light loads in the big 4: 8 drams with a 1950-grain conical and 10 drams with a 1400-grain ball. With this rifle, slow velocity prints high. This weekend I will rock Brett's world with some 14-dram loads for the conical and 16 drams with the ball. The targets should print more center.
Cheers, all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Some seriously cute rifles. Thanks for sharing the pics.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some gorgeous old Brits there!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man has not made anything more wonderful, more exquisite, more
beautiful, than these pre-WW II British double rifles. salute

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Just a comment about Cal, I was on vacation in Alaska a couple weeks ago and drove through Talkeetna. We stopped in to meet Cal. He treated Me, My wife, Our Nanny, and my Son to a great lunch and I got to handle some of the finest man made art I have ever seen. Real nice stuff. (its just to damn cold there)

Cal Pappas is a true Gentleman.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Sorry I missed you. Next time you're up we'll have to get together.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Brett,
I'd like that as well. I have a sheep / griz hunt in August in the Brooks range, and I'm training with my pack now. I walked last evening at a mountain park here in Phoenix. It was 114 degree's when I left my truck with a 50# pack. Still better than living in a dang refrigerator!!!!

I have a black bear hunt over by Seldovia in May, maybe then?

Regards,
Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I'd like to meet&shoot too if the chance arises. That buff of yours from Zambia has the nicest horns I've ever seen!

As an aside, those mountains south of Seldovia are just about the prettiest place I've seen on the planet in the summer/spring.
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote