THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Norma Oryx vs. Hornady in 9.3x74R
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma Oryx vs. Hornady in 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of aholz
posted
I am trying to experiment with different factory loads with my new Chapuis 9.3x74R Does anybody have an experience with Norma Oryx 285gr?How it compares to Hornady SP-RP 286gr? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both in my 9,3 Chapuis double.
The Oryx shoots best in mine.
Yours might be different.

The Hornady shoots good in my Blaser D 99 Duo. I killed a pig with the Hornady load and it worked good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis was regulated with the Norma Oryx and they shoot great. Using H4831SC I was able to quickly duplicate the regulating load with Oryx bullets obtained from Graf. The Norma Alaska regulate the same as the Oryx using identical loads. I have also been successful getting the Hornady's to regulate, again with H4831SC. Substituting Nosler partitions in the load developed for the Hornady's also works well - similar POI and group size. How well do the Hornady's shoot - less than 2 inches at 100 yards for 4 shots and I have a couple of 200 yard L/R groups under 3 inches. Will shoot all of these into wet newspaper soon to see how they hold up and penetrate.

One of Us
Picture of aholz
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have ordered some Oryx from Cabella's. I' try them on my next trip to a range

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Has anyone chronographed the Oryx 286 gr. factory load? Just picked up my chapuis 9.3x74r and am ready to load but do not know how fast the factory loads shoot.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This load should do about 2300 fps from a 24" barrel.
You might also want to try the 286 Woodleigh Round nose, a damn fine bullet in 9,3!

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Mine was regulated with the 285 grain Oryx as well. However, it quickly regulated with the Woodleighs and the Hornadys too.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Mine was regulated with the 285 grain Oryx as well. However, it quickly regulated with the Woodleighs and the Hornadys too.

Thanks. But at what speed did they do so?

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Mine is factory regulated for the Norma load mentioned. It shoots it very good. The Hornady does not perform as well in my gun.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1254 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twoseventy:
Has anyone chronographed the Oryx 286 gr. factory load? Just picked up my chapuis 9.3x74r and am ready to load but do not know how fast the factory loads shoot.

Tom

It clocks 2319 fps from my Merkel

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
If they regulate in your gun, the 286 Nosler partition has awesome terminal performance.

I have one that had 75% weight retention after spinning through 5 feet or so of eland. They punch 3-4" holes right through whitetail deer.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have one that had 75% weight retention after spinning through 5 feet or so of eland. They punch 3-4" holes right through whitetail deer

Did it hit any bone on the way, frontal or rear shot?

Good hunting /shooting and God's best.

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How well do the Hornady's shoot - less than 2 inches at 100 yards for 4 shots and I have a couple of 200 yard L/R groups under 3 inches. Will shoot all of these into wet newspaper soon to see how they hold up and penetrate.

That is beautiful shooting. I can’t wait to try out mine.
Looking forward for test results, keep us posted.

Good shooting / hunting and God’s best.

Malek

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote