Find
Notify
Tools

DOUBLES AND WEIGHT LOSS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Here's one for the books. Over the last four months, I dropped 45 pounds. About two weeks ago I went out and shot my VC and noticed it was smacking my cheek pretty hard. I attributed the issue to leaning over too much but didn't give it another thought. Today I went out and shot ten rounds in the same position and it smacked me again. So much so it gave me a quarter sized welt on my cheek. I NEVER had the issue before. I'm going to try and shoot the rifle more upright, but if this persists, I'm either going to have to grin and bear it or get re-measured.

Ken or anybody, thoughts, suggestions?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments Jorge. I too have lost weight recently. 35 pounds since July 17th. I started working up for my safari about 3 weeks ago with my VC 500NE. I too noticed an increased "perceived recoil" but no cheek smack. Just an overall stiffer recoil. However, some of that was probably due to having laid off the rifle for awhile during it's trip to Champlain Arms. At this point, I've shot it enough to be back to my same comfort level with it.

By any chance, had you just started shooting it again lately, or were you shooting it all the while you were loosing weight?

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I shot it sporadically Todd. But I started back u in earnest about three weeks ago. If you look at "before and after" pics of me, my face really thinned out. Congrats on the weight loss too!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you get back on the twinkies. Always put your DR shooting ahead of your health...

Congrats on getting healthy guys!

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
I'd suggest you get back on the twinkies.

+1 popcorn popcorn popcorn

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought because they were so heavy that just carrying them around leads to weight loss.

Posts: 19603 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
I'd suggest you get back on the twinkies.

jumping

Hey, I've been tempted a few times!

Cool

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I've lost 7 lbs in 6 weeks! NoDR though.

My goal is 10 kilos .....

My dream is to own a nice DR too .....

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am disappointed ! I always thought that hunters are well-trained and in very good shape ! Smiler

By the way , i am 1,75m tall and 71kg heavy . It's not a problem for shooting rifles up to 600NE !

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, yes weight loss will effect gun fit. Cast, drop, length of pull and even pitch. I think that your immediate concern is length of pull. With that much weight lost (congrats by the way) you have lost mass in your chest which is going to move your head forward on the stock and into the narrower part of the comb. A couple of thoughts, get a thin 3/8" slipon pad or experiment with layers of mole skin cut to fit the back of your recoil pad and glued on with rubber cement that is easily removed until you can get your face back on the comb where it belongs. The other is to get some of those Twinkies that JDA-CO has mentioned and put them between your cheek and stock to cushion the blow. Try and shoot some reduced loads to lessen the impact and give your cheek a rest before you develop a flinch an start shooting like the rest of us mortals.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Jorge,

That all makes real sense to me. I've always said that my 10# 500NE whacks me in the cheek pretty damn hard. The stock is custom fit, so its not that.

Point being, I'ma thin fella, no extra recoil eating pounds.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help Bob et al, but the folks at the range thought it a little strange whith all the smooshed twinkies and my cheek full of "Twinkie Spooge" Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Losing 45 Lbs in an amazing feat. CONGRATULATIONS! That said you might want to try a strap on check pad to see if that helps. if it does you can look into getting a nice one made that can help with recoil tolerance with out having to spend a fortune on a restock..

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Losing weight definitely affects your shooting. I have had a number of custom rifles built and my gun maker, in measuring me, told me that the size of your face makes a difference in fitting the stock to your cheek and face.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I would have guessed that weight loss (thinner face) would have decreased the likelihood that the stock would hit your cheek (which is usually a sign of not enough drop.)

Would have to see the rifle mounted, but my guess is a change of pitch and minor LOP, but I still would not have guessed those for smacking your cheekbone.

Congratulations on the weight loss.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for the tips (sans Twinkies Smiler ), but I'm going to try to add some LOP with a recoil pad that just fits on the back and see if LOP as Zephyr suggested might mitigate the problem. THe drop issue also makes sense as today I shot two rifles, a Winchester Model 71 and an 1895 (in 303) that had significantly more drop and the smack was not an issue.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Congrats on the weight loss. I need to get on the same track.

As mentioned increasing the LOP should brIng your face back on the stock and give you a bit of rise in the comb as your cheek weld will be higher on the stock. It will also be a better cheek weld which helps with recoil.

If you mount the gun with eyes closed, how much rib can you see when you open them?

Incidentally loosing weight also affects the amount of cast as the distance between your shoulder and cheek is greater.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Gents, I think the LOP is the issue..and my fault whilst shooting off the bench. Yes the weight loss decreased my LOP but it's hardly noticeable wheh I throw the gun up eyes closed my cheek weld is completely different than when shooting off the bench the way I was when my cheek got whacked. Problem was my rest was configured for scoped rifles where I sit much more hunched over. Normally what I do is stack bags so I am almost upright (and no rear support but for my shoulder), but in my pursuit of accuracy I forgot about it and decided to tough it out. Anyway, I'll "hit" the range this Saturday with all of this in mind and report back. Thanks again gents for all the tips.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

If you are tryinig to get some bench type accuracy while standing with a big calibre try using quad sticks.

They are a popular in deer stalking circles here as an extra stable rest. Alternatively I think the Bog pod do an excellent cradle attachment that is great for such things.

Sadly I lost my bog pod while trying to get a shot on a red stag last month and couldn't find it afterwards, otherwise I could send you a picture!!

Good luck.
Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Kiri: I think I've mitigated the problem of the bench. I just have to sit more upright then the gun comes up much better. Still, I think there has been a difference with my weight loss. I'll probably have Jerome and Ken look at me and see if there is that much of a change, but for now, I'm good to go. Love my VC!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Plain and simple you've got less padding. Where you used to have chubby little built in cheek eze recoil pads there is now only skin and bone.

And that is a good thing! Congratulations.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
well thank you sir. Five more pounds to go!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member