THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    470NE 85gr R15 and Foam Filler?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

470NE 85gr R15 and Foam Filler?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted
Noticed 1/3 airspace with 85gr of R15 in my 470. The Kynoch foam filler seems to take up that space perfectly...any problems with this? Foam seems to have some bad Voodoo connected with it these days>

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Foam seems to have some bad Voodoo connected with it these days>

Oh, I don't really think so. I have been using Kynoch foam wads as well as some I have cut from packing foam, for going on six years. I, as well as many on this forum, have gotten very consistant loads with no issues at all. If I am not mistaken, Kynoch uses their foam wad in many of their own loads.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Been using 88 grains Rel 15 and Kynoch Wads for years, No issues to date. Smiler

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have never had a problem with foam as a filler,or with any filler for that matter,I always make sure the filler material is compressed & there is no chance that it will be loose in the case.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The foam wad hoodoo was started by BPE loads with much more airspace, and faster powders.

There can be no possible problem with foam wad or poly-fiber filler in the 470 NE with RL-15 loads at the regulation velocities and bullet weight.

If you stick with the same volume and weight of foam wad (same make) you can fine tune the load to perfection, same as you can with poly-fiber filler weighed to 5 grains for each puffball. The foam wads will be lighter in weight, may require a grain more powder, quicker and easier to use. Just stick with the same make foam wad whether your own or Kynoch-made, and load to parallel to infinity. Wink

I like H4831 and no filler even better.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Approx 250 rounds with 88-90 gr of RL 15 and 500gr bullets thru my Merkel and not a single problem. The targets look great and so does my buff mount!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Next time I load for the 470 NE, I will be using Varget Extreme, starting at 85 grains with 500-grain bullets and my own foam wad cut with a 50BMG chamfer-sharpened case mouth, and working up to regulation load.

Then I will start over with 85 grains of Varget Extreme and 5 grains of polyester fiber filler and compare.

Don't tell Rusty I think Varget Extreme is better than RL-15 for this application. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used both Dacron and the foam wads in the full nitros and have never had any problems. I still prefer Dacron. I would not use foam in NFB applications though.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In the 470NE just use H4831sc and you can forget the filler all together! It fills the case to 98%, no filler needed!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
In the 470NE just use H4831sc and you can forget the filler all together! It fills the case to 98%, no filler needed!

thumb

So what is the straight skinny on Federal factory loads? They use RL15, yes? There is no filler and there IS beaucoup airspace. So what makes these rounds safe, this F216 primer?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what is the straight skinny on Federal factory loads? They use RL15, yes? There is no filler and there IS beaucoup airspace. So what makes these rounds safe, this F216 primer?

It's the F216 primer that makes it safe.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot many rounds of 85 grs. of RL-15 and either 5 grs. of Dacron or Kynoch foam wads over the last century.

That load will chronograph 10 shots taking out the high and low, for an average of 2020 FPS in a 24 inch barrel btw.

I have shot a lot of buffalo with that load and it really slams them to the ground, and it does it without all that recoil and blast that goes with 108 grs. of IMR-4831 at 2245 FPS and shoots to the same POI in all the Searcy guns I have used these two loads in, which is neat because many of Searcys guns are regulated with 108 grs of IMR-4831 until just recently when he lowered the powder charge to 106 grs due to the abusive recoil..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that is likely quite close to Kynoch spec. Anyone ever weigh a Federal powder charge? Is it 89gr? I've gone to 102 grains of H4831. Nice load.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

thumb

Showbart, the factory cartridges are safe enough, but the shot to shot velocity is all over the place! The same load with a good filler, like the Kynoch foam, or Polly-fiber will settle the loads down and narrow the velocity spread considerably! Ferderal's factory ammo is not that well loaded in my opinion! I've shot over 100 rounds of Federal factory 470NE ammo loaded with the TB solids, and though the rifle was accurate enough to hunt with, the accuracy in composite group size was not what I wanted. The simple addtion of a filler to hold the powder in place, tightened the composite groups considerably! A full load of H-4831sc, however negates the need for filler at all! If one is worried about recoil, then he needs to go to a lighter recoiling cartridge, not load the larger one down. Especially in a NE cased double rifle!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac-What was penetration like with that TBSS out of the 470?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
Mac-What was penetration like with that TBSS out of the 470?

I really don't know! It shot right through everything I shot with it! That rifle, however, completely penerated an Elephant's head from a side shot, and went through the chest of another one, but didn't hit a bone bigger than a rib. I didn't shoot those two elephant, but one of our posters here did, before I bought the rifle from him!

I have 100 North Fork CPS, and 50 North Fork FPS bullets I'm saveing for Buffalo hunting!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac you gave me two factory loads to try at the DRSS pig hunt last june. I got a chrno so I shot them a month ago. first load did not record second was 2136 fps I think. I found two tuffs of poly down range. I did not notice the poly two trips prior.The two rounds touched at 50 and did not cross. they looked factory and had the speer bullet like factory. Did you have any reloads set as such or do you think the factory had load fillers.
If they were you load I need the Load.PLease.PLease, Please!
Post was edited for accuracy
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You think? Holy shit!! 2275 fps out of 24" bbls?!! shocker Is it written down or stored in the unit?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Showbart that was 2136. I just had CT work done on both wrist, I can't type worth a hoot.
The loads tested that day.

86.5 Rl15+foam 500 woodlieghs
1965,1958,1988,1974 Fps
3'' group at 50

98.3 of H4350 400 gr Hornday pistol
only 3 recorded 2142,2171,2158

4 shots 2" group At 50

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Pour enough RL-15 in there and you can get them to go as fast as you want! Be careful though as 86.5 grs. was giving me ~2250 fps, w/NF's.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
Mac you gave me two factory loads to try at the DRSS pig hunt last june. I got a chrno so I shot them a month ago. first load did not record second was 2136 fps I think. I found two tuffs of poly down range. I did not notice the poly two trips prior.The two rounds touched at 50 and did not cross. they looked factory and had the speer bullet like factory. Did you have any reloads set as such or do you think the factory had load fillers.
If they were you load I need the Load.PLease.PLease, Please!
Post was edited for accuracy
JD

JD they were Federal factory "Premium Safari" with 500 gr Trophy Bonded solids, and they don't have filler of any kind!

What load did you use behind the North Fork FPS you had at Brady? They seemed to be shooting pritty well on the running cape Buffalo. I have some of the North Forks stashed away for Buffalo hunting. I also have a bunch of 400 gr, .458 Barnes super solids that I have been thinking about paper patching and loading in my 470NE, to see how they will work! Should make a nice soft load for shooting targets, and hogs!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI mac
Those were loaded with Rl 19 as I recall 111 grs.
I just had both wrist done, in a week or so I go find my reloading log. email alliant and ask for data.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro