THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Trevor Proctor Pics (Dial up Beware)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trevor Proctor Pics (Dial up Beware)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
Courtesy of Jonathan Tomlinson.

"These pictures show an action forging with tumblers, for end iron, bottom
plate and top lever.

Also pictured is the Walnut stock blank.

The race ways for the under bolts and the tumbler slots have been machined
into the forging.

More to come..

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
1. Two action forgings .470 -.500 class rifle
2. .470 boxlock barrelled action in white
3. .375 H&H sidelock (Proctor)- barrels as yet unjointed to action forging
4. .375 H&H (Proctor) rear rib/ spearpoint details
5. .375 barrels showing front sight and regulating wedge (H&H style)
6. .as above foresight ramp/ regulating wedge

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
275 Rigby (7 x 57 Mauser) boxlock ejector double rifle by Trevor, still in the white showing ejector details and third byte on standing breach

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
These are some slightly better pictures of the chopper lump barrels for the
.600. Detail of both the lumps, the foresight and regulating wedge at the
muzzles.

The line up of 3 sets of barrels comprises a .275 Rigby set, an old .470
Rigby (no 3 quality boxlock in for renovation) and the .600 N.E tubes, in
focus this time.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
"275 Rigby (shown previously in the white) now finished with cyanide colour hardened action and fine scroll engraving."

Absolutely stunning isn't she?

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
"more pics of the .600 barrels both at the muzzle, the rear
rib and the lumps together with the rough action forging.

The last 2 pics are of a best quality .470 Ejector in the white still to be
stocked, engraved, colour hardened and regulated, all work by Trevor.

Contrast the finished action of the .470 above to the picture of the two
forgings in my first e-mail as these are the same forgings."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! Thanks for sharing...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this correct, the third fastener depresses into the area between the barrels while the action is closing,

then when fully closed it "pops" out and inserts inself into an opening in the breech face?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack

The extension on the breach face arcs into a slot machined into the standing breach face between the strikers and when the top lever moves back into the locked position, it allows a sliding bolt to ride over the top edge of the extension thus bolting it downwards.

If you imagine the underbolt on a shotgun or double rifle sliding into the byte in the lump this is the same process, just the bolt slides over the top of the extension

I hope this makes sense.

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in severe lust for that .275 Rigby.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i just killed my 'puter with those pic's.... but well worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!... thanks...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have one thing to say..WOW!!

I need that .275 Rigby!!

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Bulldog, those are some great photos. Thanks for sharing these with us. I just can't get enough of the work-in-progress photos, and these are some of the best I've seen posted here.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words Forrest and you are right that they are excellent photos but the credit should go to Jonathan.... I only helped him post them here.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Anyone who questions the cost of a DR needs to look closely at these photos. Magnificent work!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are absolutely the best photos of work in progress I have seen on this forum. I intend to post some photos of my safari set in progress but your photos beat mine hands down. Thanks for sharing. MUFASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who is the maker(s) of the rifles shown in the photos?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To Jonathan, Thank you, you have given me a sound understanding of the system.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mufasa:
Who is the maker(s) of the rifles shown in the photos?

Trevor Proctor

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Hey Jonathan, how much longer until Trevor finishes your .600 NE DR?????

You need to get your ass over to the States with that baby for a DRSS hunt!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does Trevor charge for one of these beauties?

Dutch

Just sittin' in the gutter sluggin' rats...what you doin'?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Hopefully it will be largely complete by the end of next year, Trevor has a large amount of new build work under way at the moment.

I should have some nice photos shortly of the stocking of one of the .470 N.E's show in in the above pictures, that will be brought to completion over the next few months so I should be able to obtain some pictures of various stages of the stocking and finishing which may well be of interest to the group.

Dutch

If you send me a pm I can give you an idea of prices for Trevor's rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jonathon:

PM sent.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Nothing quite like a well made double. They do take time. Very nice work.
Stuart

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Two man-made tools give me a thrill deep in the thorax: jet fighters and double rifles. Wonderful photos and breathtaking craftsmanship. Thanks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johnathan, Do you know if Trevor did the engraving on the 7x57?
The last time I spoke to him, he told me that he had 'farmed out" the engraving on a rifle he made which now belongs to a friend of mine.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldun

Sorry for the dealy in replying, I have been ill and consequntly away from my computer for a few days.

In answer to your question Trevor does not do the engraving, like most of the English makers this is entrusted to freelance engravers.

There are a great many engravers available to do the work and the final choice remains with the customer. Even the likes of H&H and Purdey rely heavily on freelance engravers and even though these gun houses do employ some in house engravers, they often commission the talents of the likes of Ken Hunt, Marcus Hunt, Phil Grifnee, Malcom Long, the Brown Brothers and many other freelance engravers from all over the world and all who have managed to make engraving an art form.

Trevor is however one of only a very tiny number of makers in the U.K who does practically all other aspects of the work himself.

posted Hide Post
What level of accuracy does Trevor guaranty for his bolt actions?

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Tomlinson:
Oldun

Sorry for the dealy in replying, I have been ill and consequntly away from my computer for a few days.

In answer to your question Trevor does not do the engraving, like most of the English makers this is entrusted to freelance engravers.

There are a great many engravers available to do the work and the final choice remains with the customer. Even the likes of H&H and Purdey rely heavily on freelance engravers and even though these gun houses do employ some in house engravers, they often commission the talents of the likes of Ken Hunt, Marcus Hunt, Phil Grifnee, Malcom Long, the Brown Brothers and many other freelance engravers from all over the world and all who have managed to make engraving an art form.

Trevor is however one of only a very tiny number of makers in the U.K who does practically all other aspects of the work himself.

Thank you.
I do hope you are back on top form.
wave

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldun

Thank you for your good wishes, I am indeed feeling better, that virus certainly knocked me for six, now my children and wife have it!! Frowner

Pete E

Trevor builds a large amount of magazine rifles, in the main of 2 types, firstly stalking rifles from .243 to .300 and then medium to large bores such as .375; .416; .458 Lott and .500 Jeffery.

Usual accuracy for these rifles is relative to the calibre but in a scoped .375 usual accuracy would run at 1 - 1.5" for 3 shots at 100 yards.

My .458 lott would hold sub 2 inches 5 shot groups at 100 yards with both soft and solid loads.

As for the stalking rifles, again it is relative to the fact that they are traditionally built on Mauser 98 actions rather than more modern bench rest actions and they are walnut stocked rather than synthetic pillar bedded affairs.

Also the barrels are of usual sporter weight contours, that said Trevor looks for accuracy with factory ammo of around 1 inch or below at 100 yards, many rifles made will exceed this expectation by 50% or even more