New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 470 brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone out there have any experience yet with loading the Hornady 470 brass? My 416 Rigby uses Norma and Hornady cases interchangeably- same velocity and POI despite the fact that the Norma case weighs 17 grains more!
My 470 load is 106gr IMR 4831 under a 500gr Woodleigh soft with Norma brass. I'll start there and chronograph, just looking for a preview. With what Norma charges, I've a reason to change. I'm hoping for better case life than with Norma, as well.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some Hornady brass in 470 and have loaded it a couple of times so far. I load the same load in it as I do for Jamison brass and the velocity and grouping is the same. The only Norma brass I have used was for weatherby cartridges. I remember there was a slight differecne in weight between the Hornady brass and the Jamison brass.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Hornady brass: I bought one box of factory ammo. It was Hornady. One round would not chamber and several were very tight. Rim thickness was about .010-.012 thicker than the Jamison brass I had been reloading. The inside of the rims of all the cases were very rough. I returned the unfire round to Hornady. They confirmed the rim thickness was too thick. Quality control issue.

Jamison Brass: I have ordered Jamison brass twice and obviously received two different lots. While the cases are very consistent within each lot there is an average 36 grain difference between the two Jamison lots.

The Hornady average fell in the middle of the two Jamison lots.