New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting a Double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I noticed most of the double rifles have a longer LOP than bolt rifles. Is there a reason for this? Would you order a double with the same LOP of your bolt rifles? Or are they made longer because they are mostly shot in warmer climates when the shooter is not wearing a coat?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I might be totally wrong but on the double rifles that are not made to order it makes sense to make the stock longer as it is easier to cut one down to fit than make one longer
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, No, and probably.

Seriously, you shoulder and shoot a double more like a shotgun than a bolt rifle.

speaking from limited experience...only owned one DR, a Kreighoff 3" .500 NE.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My double rifle (a German .250-3000 from the 1920s) has the same dimensions as my British sxs shotgun. As a result, when I shoulder it I find myself looking right down the sights, exactly aligned as they should be.

The match was pure happenstance, but I'd certainly specify those dimensions, were I to order one built to my specifications.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are shot with open sights and the length of pull is not as critical as with a scope. On bespoke rifles the length of pull is made to fit the buyer.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote