New
Find
Notify
Tools

bench tec????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am lost. My first groups were fired standing, and I got good groups 3 or 4 were touching with a flyer or two a 1" to 3" out. I was using a tripod and resting my hand on top. I wrote the fliers off, thinking I was unstable standing.

I took the ears off my benchrest, and made a box for it to sit on. I never let anything touch the gun other than my hand and shoulder; I use a tall bag for my right elbow. I am sitting straight up or nearly so. MY light loads were 400 gr Hornaday with 48 grs of 5744 and 370 hard cast 77 grs of rl 15 and pufflon. They shot a foot low at 50 yards. (I had made some adjustments to the peep base so it would shoot lower. I figured I over did it.) My full power loads came down to where I wanted them.

At the end of the range session I took the remaining light loads and did double taps at 25 yards as fast as I could. I got nice little cluster groups right and left barrel at point of aim. The shots were all touching other than the called fliers. (I know when I am missing I am good at it). I could not retest at 50 yards today. How can I be a foot low at 50yrds from the bench and dead on at 25 off hand?? At times this rifle wants to shoot as well as a bolt gun at others I don't have a clue.

I will say that there is no way I can put two rounds into a target at 25 yards as fast with a bolt gun as I can with that double. I can't work a mag length action from the shoulder, I have to drop it off my shoulder to cycle it 100 %. I am fast with a bolt gun, but at point blank range the double comes up 2X faster and is on target and it delivers a right and a left as natural as throwing a jab and a left hook. Are the fliers a loading problem or a form problem?

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing here but the problem may be the tall bag you are using for your right elbow. Resting your elbow on the bag may not let the rifle recoil freely with muzzle rise. the muzzle must rise for the bullets to hit point of aim. Try it with out any support to your right arm. Also try using something soft for your left hand to rest on. I use a down sleeping bag and no right hand support. My rifle shoots to the same POI as when I shoot off hand.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.Trying to master this rifle has been a real test of my resolve. Its been a lot of fun, there has been some pain and a little bleeding thrown in. If it would be easy what would we learn by it.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was this just an issue with your light loads or was the problem with both light and full house loads?

Was your forward grip the same sitting and standing (did your fingers wrap aound the barrels on one and not the other)?

Just to eliminate it as an issue, you might want to try loads without the pufflon (use dacron or a foam plug instead).

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim

I try to use the same hold each time, but some times have a problem doing so. When I get serious about breaking a good shot I sometimes work so hard on sight picture and trigger pull, I relax my grip some. I notice that I am having some issues hokding on to the gun with full power loads due to some nerve damage caused by carpul tunnel (spelling?) I don't have the strength in my hands like I use too. Later this summer I will have that fixed. I have tried foam plugs but could not get them to shoot as well as the pufflon. I will do some more testing with them later. I like pufflon with cast bullets No matter how hard I drive them I get no leading. It was just the light loads, I am starting to think that I was holding the gun down and the light loads did not have enough beans to recoil in a normal way.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro