Find
Notify
Tools

Best 9.3X74R Bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I have been exchanging PMs with a fellow AR member with respect to regulation of a 9.3X74R and, as a consequence, I have been trying to figure out the best bullets for that cartridge.

I think that if I was heading off to Africa tomorrow my soft nose bullet of choice would be the plain old Woodleigh 286 grain RN SF for a soft and one of Michael's BBW#13s for a solid. It's almost as if Woodleigh made the RN SF specially for this cartridge and maybe they did. My rifle was regulated with a 285 grain Norma Oryx. Norma says they run at around 2360 but that is out of a 26 barrel. In most instances, the 9.3X74R will regulate at around 2250 fps and that falls perfectly within Woodliegh's velocity window for this bullet (1800-2200). Launched at 2250 fps, here are the ballistics for the 286 Woodkeigh RN:

Yards/Velocity/Energy

25 2188 3040
50 2126 2871
75 2066 2710
100 2006 2556
125 1948 2410
150 1891 2270
175 1834 2137

With the Woodleigh, you don't have to worry so much about over penetration on a buffalo in a herd situation and I'm guessing this would be about perfect for any of the cats.

What's your favorite?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Best for Cape Buffalo - North Fork 286gr CPS
2nd Best for Cape Buffalo - FN solid (GS, North Fork,BBW...)

For anything else - 293gr Brenneke/RWS - TUG/UNI

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently building a double in 9.3x74R and have already bought a ton of 286 grain Nosler Partitions to regulate it with. However, based on some recent data that I've read, and despite the fact that I've always believed the Partition to be the "sine qua non" of bullets, if I had it to do all over again, I would chose the 286 grain Swift A-Frame.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Ron:

I think you made the right choice with the Noslers rather than the Swifts. Velocity right off the bat drops to less than 2200 fps and you will get more reliable expansion with the Noslers.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the 286 gr. Woodleigh used in double rifles for buffalo and it worked well enough on the few I witnessed..

I have used the simular 9.3x62 with 286 gr. Noslers, PP Woodleighs, North fork cup points and flat nose solids and all of them worked quite well if placed properly. you can expect the bull to run up to 150 yards and expire..Like the .338, 9.3s and even the .375 they tend to make more tracks than they do when shot with the 40 calibers and up at least that has been my observation. It appears to me the bigger the hole in the barrel the less tracks a buffalo makes..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Woodleigh 286 grain soft points on two Alaskan moose.
Recovered two bullets from one moose that was hit about 100 yards away. Both bullets were pretty mangled up but still held together and no bones were hit. This gave me the opinion I would not want to use them on anything tougher than a moose, especially if the distance was closer or if bones would be hit.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe:

What cartridge were you shooting them in and at what velocity?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x74R out of my Chapuis double. Would estimate the velocity was 2,100-2,200 when the bullets hit, maybe slightly slower.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
back in september i got nice bear with 232 norma vulcan,bullet did all i wanted,bear didnt even move,besides that i like tugs from rws

Posts: 139 | Location: Canada | Registered: 08 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh 286grn FMJs have done me well on a few Buffalo but if you have time the NF Cup Points may be worth while to see if they work in your rifle.
Note; If using Woodleigh 9.3mm Softs on Buffalo then I would recommend the harder Protected Point.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Sbowwolfe and OZ, thanks.

Oz, have you tried the Woodleigh Hydros?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My "SOFT" pick for the 9.3X74R is and always has been the 286 gr Nosler Partition! They penetrate well and do a lot of tissue damage!

....................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,
At this point will agree with you about the Nosler PT. Picked up a good supply of them to try but have not been fortunate enough to test them on a critter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot more different species of animals with the 9,3x74R, vs any other calibre.

I have used several different bullets.

IMHO, my favorite Soft would be the 286gr Woodleigh, the 286gr Nosler Partition is a close second. Deer, pigs, bobcat, bears,civit cat, coyotes, jackals, kudu, zebra, and cape buff.

For a Solid the 286gr Woodleigh. Turkey, giraffe, and elephants.

The 9,3x74R is one of my most favorite calibres.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have posted this many times before...... A few years ago a big test on 9.3 bullets was done & it was found that Privi Partizan and Lapua were also very good on game & test media & they are cheap. I use the Lapua in my 9.3X62 Simson.

I have shared a lot of info these tests and lo9ads etc. with AR members. PM me with your email & I'll send you the info after 15 Dec (I am currently in India on business).

You might also want to try the 320 Gr Woodleigh as this was the original load for the 360 bore British doubles.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Sbowwolfe and OZ, thanks.

Oz, have you tried the Woodleigh Hydros?

I have used the Hydro's and have a good stock of them for my Blaser 9.3 BUT I'm still a little dubious of the safe use of them with doubles for the same issues that have been noted with the Barns Mono's. Perhaps its not an issue but why take a chance when there are so many other options out there.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have shot more different species of animals with the 9,3x74R, vs any other calibre.

I have used several different bullets.

IMHO, my favorite Soft would be the 286gr Woodleigh, the 289gr Nosler Partition is a close second. Deer, pigs, bobcat, bears,civit cat, coyotes, jackals, kudu, zebra, and cape buff.

For a Solid the 286gr Woodleigh. Turkey, giraffe, and elephants.

The 9,3x74R is one of my most favorite calibres.

N E 450 No2:

With the Woodleigh softs, do you like the Round Nose or the Protected Points better? Would they work in a herd situation?

Michael tested the 286 grain Hornady bullets and they did quite well in his tests.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
My "SOFT" pick for the 9.3X74R is and always has been the 286 gr Nosler Partition! They penetrate well and do a lot of tissue damage!

Mac:

Would you expect a Nosler to exit on a broadside shot at a buffalo? I am looking for something that will stay in an animal in a herd situation.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ron vella:
I am currently building a double in 9.3x74R and have already bought a ton of 286 grain Nosler Partitions to regulate it with. However, based on some recent data that I've read, and despite the fact that I've always believed the Partition to be the "sine qua non" of bullets, if I had it to do all over again, I would chose the 286 grain Swift A-Frame.

You should rest easy; your selection was a very good choice. I have killed alot of stuff - pronghorns, whitetails, pigs, caribou, black bear, a massive bull moose with the 286NP and it has performed exceptionally. I am comfortable carrying it for brown bear - that says alot. I have shot the bullet in my 9,3X62 rifles at 9,3X74 velocities and am currently squirreling away funds so that I can buy a double in 9,3X74. There is no question what I will shoot in it...

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Woodleigh Round Nosed Soft.
I killed my biggest cape buff with one shot with this bullet, the buff was facing me.
He was down and dead in less than 40 yards.

I used the 286 gr Woodleigh Soft and the 286 Nosler Partition on several animals including my African plains game.

Both bullets performed perfectly.

I would be happy using either.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

Mac:

Would you expect a Nosler to exit on a broadside shot at a buffalo? I am looking for something that will stay in an animal in a herd situation.

No I find that most bullets with any expansion at all, be they lead core of expanding solid, to stop under the skin on the off side.

I shot a Buffalo with a 300 gr Nosler Partition from a 375H&H from about 75 yds. The buffalo was standing facing me slightly quartering to his left. I placed the bullet in the crease where the right shoulder meets the chest about 12 inches above the brisket! The bullet took the top of the heart off and tore through the left lung, went through about 12 inches of the grass packed pounch, and ended up just in front of the left hind leg under the skin. That is about 4 feet of penetration and he made 35 yds before dieing. I find that expanding bullets tend to stay under the skin on the off side because by the time they get to the off side the skin being very elastic bulges away from the body enough to trap the bullet. Works great in a herd!

I also shot a large Eland bull through the shoulders with the same bullet also at about 75 yds , and the bullet tore the heart apart and stopped under the skin on the far side. He went down while in a dead run so hard his right horn went full length in the ground flipping the big bull “tail over tea kettle” onto his back, with nothing but a stiffened hind leg kicking in the air!

………………………….Good luck Dave! Shoot a big one! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave
The 285 Norma Oryx that it was regulated with would be perfect.Very good expansion stays in one piece and I would expect it to be under the far side hide on a broadside Buffalo.Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Brady:
Dave
The 285 Norma Oryx that it was regulated with would be perfect.Very good expansion stays in one piece and I would expect it to be under the far side hide on a broadside Buffalo.Bill

I respectfully disagree. The oryx is very soft and I would not use it on heavy game. Use the cup point and be done.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe
I must respectfully disagree about the Norma Oryx I agree with you if it was an Alaska or Vulkan.I also agree on the cup point in the second barrel.It's sure nice to live in a couple of free countries so we can have a friendly disagreement.Bill

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of all the 9,3 bullets I have used the norma 286 Alaska is the softest. Even the 232 Vulcan and the 270 Speer is much tougher, IMHO.

However the 3 best bullets, baised on all the different animals I have shot with my 9,3x74R, are the 286 gr Woodliegh Soft, and the 286gr Nosler Partition, for expanding bullets.
Whether deer, bobcats or cape buff, they will do the job, no Drama.

For Solids the 286 gr Woodleigh is my choice.
I killed an elephant at less than 5 yards, with a side brain shot, with complete penetration.
2 of them killed a giraffe. They work great on Texas turkeys as well.

One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
I have had success with the 286 Privi Partizan bullets on large boar. I have also had success with hard cast 245 gr paper patched bullets on several pigs. The best thing about the paper patched bullets is I am able to cheaply shoot hundreds of them while improving my standing and kneeling positions. Selecting a good 9.3mm is not as difficult as devoting the time and disciple to marksmanship. Want good results from your rifle? Practice, practice, and then practice some more.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I prefer less expansion and greater penetration when hunting Buffalo. I prefer to have two holes in the animal in the animal to help produce a better blood trail. I feel this is even more critical on smaller calibers like the 9.3 and 375. I have no doubt that on a broad side shot that the Oryx would work. But hit the shoulder bone or shooting at an angle and I expect you would be in for a tracking job. My only experience with this bullet in 9.3x74 has been in Texas on Hog hunts. They work great on hogs but did not exit. Recovered bullets in dirt mounds look similar to the Hornady soft point.

From Rick Jamison

Norma Oryx
The Norma Oryx is the shortest bullet of all because of its relatively thin cup-type jacket and blunt tip. Although the bullet expanded with an unbelievably large frontal diameter at ultra high impact velocity, it also penetrated the least of the group. Even so, the bonded bullet maintains its integrity and retains a very high percentage of weight. Generally, the bullet expands with four petals and even at normal velocity produces a good-size frontal area to transmit a maximum amount of shock to an animal. While the bullet expands almost to its base under ultra high impact velocity, under normal impact velocity it retains a considerable shank length and weight.

286 Grain Oryx in a 9.3x62

From Norma
286 Grain Oryx on a Pig

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Guys, if you go to page 70 or page 206 of Michael's Terminal Bullet Performance Thread you will see some pictures of Hornady's SP-RP bullet. Hornady's 286 grain .366 bullet was specifically designed for the 9,3X74R. It, or, a Nosler Partition, or a Woodleigh would be an excellent choice for the first shot in a 9,3X74R. For the second shot, A 280 grain CEB BBW#13 solid or a North Fork solid or cup point solid would be excellent.

Roscoe, I would avoid the cup point solid for the first shot. Even North Fork cautions against using them in a herd situation because they are likely to exit.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
For a valuable double, I'd have to say the North Fork 286gr

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the bullets mentioned work well, I would probably put a bit more interest on which one shot to POI and was most accurate in my gun..

The 286 gr.Nosler partition bullet is one tough bullet, you can eat right up to the hole on a deer so your not getting a heck of a lot of expansion but it kills quickly and leaves good blood trails..Its a good buffalo bullet also..

I like Woodleighs in the 286 and the 320 gr. is awesome in my bolt rifle but I can move it considerably faster than a double can so get real good results..In the 320 gr. 9.3x74 may not work as Ganyana tells us it didn't work in his 9.3x62 but with Afrian powders I doubt that he was able to push it to my 2400 plus FPS..

With the woodleighs the PP are penetrators and the RN are not as they are intended to stay in the animal and expand big and they work...but I always want two hole in a buffalo so he will bleed profusly and I know where he is..As to herd hunting and needing a bullet that won't give you a pass thru, I am not sold on that idea for one thing any bullet can and does give pass thrus from time to time, and the other thing is I don't take a shot that are blocked on either side by other buffalo, patience is a virture and feeding buff move around a lot, just wait for a clear shot is always a better option..Also, RN are not condusive for a big bull at 15 yards facing South and thats where a good solid or PP comes in handy, you sure don't want to let him get away and that may be your only shot with those big boys and its easy to break them down and then run up and give them another between the shoulder blades, Those big boys didn't get that way being dumb and that may be your only window of opertunity. I have seen hunters pass that shot and never see the big one again. They do this because the are told on Television thats the thing to do. Its very easy to put a buff down with a rear end shot at the base of the tail and its a very deadly shot.

Just my opine on RN softs, but they do kill well on broadside shots. I recall a number of years ago when Geoff at Woodleighs and I were discussing my need for RN 450 gr. Woodleigh for the .416 and 404, that was the insimination of both bullets and they were born a year later..Geoff said the PP would be a better bullet, I said no it would not, he compromised with me and made both and the PP is the same length of the RN btw...Bottom line Geoff was correct the PP is better...I tested them both extensively on buffalo for him in Tanzania for several years running..

I think Doctari started that a bullet should expand all its energy within and animal and he is a vet, but I have to respectfully totally disagree with him on that subject. all it does is slow down and stop, I want it to blow out the other side and leave as big a hole as possible..My head is made up.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote