New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smaller Bore Doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It seems that the discussion about double rifles starts at 9.3x74R. Is there no use/interest for SxS or O/U doubles in the 7 and 8 mm bores?

I shot a little Heym in 7x65R out of a stand many times...in Europe and the US...and it is a very practical setup.

Just wondering...

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my country DR caliber 7x65R and 8x57IRS are frequently used !

Posts: 282 | Location: France / Germany  | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Is there no use/interest for SxS or O/U doubles in the 7 and 8 mm bores?

I love the smallbore doubles and for a lot of US hunting are very practical.
In fact, the only doubles I own which are of a larger bore than .366 are BPE rifles which for the most part serve the same purpose as the smaller nitro doubles although an accurate scoped smallbore double is inherently more usable out West here.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are out there, I know of a couple of people around here that shoot doubles other than the big bores. I am contemplating taking my 30R out today. Need to chrono a 180gr RN Sierra and see how a 180gr Partition does in it. They are both over RL19. Wasn't getting the velocity I was expecting, last time out. Max with that powder is around 65gr, and I am at 62, and 250 slower than it appears I should be. We will see if it picks up a bit at the 63 to 64 range, and how that shoots in it.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x57 JSR is a excellent caliber for Norwegian moose hunting and in double rifles due to short shooting distances in the woods.

The cartridge behaves as a 6,5 at the shoulder and as a 9,3 when hitting flesch. That means it is also very good for Wild boar hunts in Europe.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot a little Heym in 7x65R out of a stand many times.

I too, this is nearly the German "7 mm Magnum".

I have seen Heym doubles in 7 mm and 8 mm often.

Even some in 22 magnum or a special one in .44 magnum...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 303 British, and currently building one in 7x57R for a customer. I have had a few orders for 7x65R, 30R Blaser & 8x57R in the past. I keep thinking I personally "need" a 22 Savage HP.
So yes there is some interest in smaller doubles.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
I have one in 303 British, and currently building one in 7x57R for a customer.

A guy could do a LOT worse than either of those calibres, a 9,3x74, and a .450NE.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
I keep thinking I personally "need" a 22 Savage HP.

Yes, You do!

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm seriously contemplating a Chapuis in 7 X 57R. If the right stuff moves for the right price I will own one.

...and that Manton is gorgeous.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
It seems that the discussion about double rifles starts at 9.3x74R. Is there no use/interest for SxS or O/U doubles in the 7 and 8 mm bores?

I shot a little Heym in 7x65R out of a stand many times...in Europe and the US...and it is a very practical setup.

Just wondering...

Some of my favorite doubles have been smaller bore doubles! For North American hunting they are perfect in just about any chambering starting at .22LR up to and including 375 flanged.

Most with chamberings smaller that 375 FL, are O/U rifles, but there are some very nice S/S doubles in those caliber ranges as well. My personal preference is the S/S double no matter large or small, but there are some very nice O/Us and I have owned several O/Us over the years, and still own one chambered for 9.3X74R.

The smaller S/S doubles I have owned have all been chambered for flanged cartridges, mostly in the 8mm, range size or smaller. Today I only have two small chambered doubles both 9.3X74R one S/S and one O/U.

I have one Cape gun, a H. Berella chambered for the 16 ga on the left barrel and 8X57JR (.318 dia) on the right barrel, and have owned a couple of doubles in that 8X57JR as well. In my opinion the 8X57 rimmed is about the perfect chambering for a hunting North America for everything except the large brown bears of Alaska, but is perfect for all else.

My opinion is if double rifles had been shipped to the USA in more American chamberings back in the 1930s when the most popular deer rounds were things like 30-40 Krieg or the old 30-30 Win there would be a lot more double rifle in the deer fields of the US, and Canada. I personally do not like any rimless cartridge in a double rifle. A well fitted 7 pound S/S double chambered for the 30-30 and regulated with Winchester factory ammo with 170 gr bullets would see lots of doubles in the deer woods.

If the smaller doubles had been around as some of us were growing up, I think you would see a lot more in the hunting fields today! Of course the big bore doubles are a lot more in use here today because the guys who use them in Africa, like to hunt with them here to get good practice in actual hunting conditions rather than on a firing range punching paper! I hunt just about everything with double rifles and Most of my friends do so as well. Hunting wild hogs is great practice for quick instinctive shooting which is the double rifle’s best feature!
...................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have an 8mm Chapuis; quite pleasant to shoot. Small bore DRs are popular in Germany, etc, whilst not so much in England and the US, where everyone is preparing for Africa, whether they actually go or not. I have to use all of mine, on wild boars. Most big bore DR owners will never see Africa. (Of course, most of the ones on this site, will/have).

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Heym Mod 26B O/U in 30/30.

It is very accurate. It is one of my most favorite deer and pig rifles. I have taken several coyotes and turkeys with it as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only ever owned two DRs, a Belgian .405 Winchester boxlock and a German .250-3000 boxlock on a clamshell action. At last report, the .405 was accompanying a salmon fishing guide in Alaska. The .250-3000 is still in my vault. Small bore doubles can be fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Chapuis UGEX 30R Blaser and been seriously thinking about buying another one in 7x57R.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own a chapuis in 30-30 I got in a trade. I would buy another second hand if I had the opportunity.

Posts: 19 | Location: new york | Registered: 30 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own doubles in .22 Hornet, .32-20 WCF, 6.5x57 Rimmed, and .303 British, among others. All are great fun to shoot and to hunt with.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a beautiful little H&H Dominion, fully engraved ejector in 303 British at auction....1899 and looks new!! SWEET!!
Can't wait to shoot it....

I really like that 22 Savage HiPower Manton!! NICE!! My go to 470 is a Manton Cool

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
How's this for another smallbore double?
Westley Richards in 350No.2

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
And another.
This is a W.W. Greener in 310 Cadet.
Yes, that is a standard sized matchbox.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
My vote would be for a .300 flanged.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have liked a 300fl,I asked about 300H&H at the time, no go, but, the 30r can do everything the FL did, just doesn't have the historical value to it.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
A 300 flanged would be a great all round smallbore double for sure.
I have seen the use of 7X65R brass formed to the 30'06 chamber making a rimmed 30'06.
That would be a great wildcat chambering for a double or single shot but the 7X65R is such a good performer, I wonder if there is much gain in doing that.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I have a double 30-06 which makes for a very practical North American round with excellent ammo availability.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote