Find
Notify
Tools

Vintagers double gun shoot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Pintail Point, Maryland will be hosting the Vintagers shoot...Heading down there Thursday to shoot in the stopping rifle event...

Mike

www.vintagers.org

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/227103437

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David Brown has the RIGHT IDEA!!!

Pre WWI safari clothing and equipment.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I’m headed down there myself with the wife to make a weekend of it. Not competing, just looking and enjoying the sights. Sounds like a great event, will take my camera and post a few photos upon return. You and I have corresponded a few times in the past so I'll try to look you up and introduce myself as a fellow Pennsylvanian.

Paul Reed

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pintail Point, Maryland

Mike:

Are you only going down for the day, or staying a few days?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Good luck, though you probably don't need it!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike P. told me he's driving down,

participating in the stopping rifle event

and going back home the same day in the evening.

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Well guys just spent a long day there Thursday and had a wonderful time.... Shot well and did some fantastic grouping of my shooting...Forgot the camera but I hope Paul takes his camera to photo the stopping gun shoot ( heavy rifle)...
This year they had a cull shoot of eles they were small size and were from 35 to 25yds three targets and 2 shots at each... I again was top shooter time wise with a six shot spread two shots at each target and elapsed time of 16 seconds.. Argued with the scorer took one ele dead square between the eyes, said it was good for 20 pts. not off 1mm from dead middle, however it was scored a miss but laughed at the argument..Then on the standing bull ele first target shot I got the tightest group both of my shot were touching... again on the cull at 25 yds I took a 10 and a 10X I liked those shots...
My second round I shot with Marty who shoots a 8bore and on the standing lion it is a popup with 16 seconds to get off 4 shots...One guy later was telling me about watching the guy shooting the big bore and his partner said look at the other lion :the guy shot around a 2 inch group 4 shots..Then I told him that was me shooting my 450#2... Damn that was fine shooting...
I shot well but next year I am going to do it in two days...
Next year we have to get some AR shooters there.. Cool

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Mike! clap

Next year maybe there CAN be more AR members.

Jack

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Just returned myself. I was working in the DC/Frederick area and planned to fly home Friday morning. Saw the Vintagers event advertised and re-booked the flight home for Friday evening. Well worth the drive and the time.

Watched the stopping event on Friday for a bit. Spectating got old after one or two rounds but several shooters were glad to let us handle their rifles. I sure miss my double rifle drilling, dang it!! I shot the Cabela's gun library Purdey .45-70 at the gong. Fun to shoot. Congratulations Retreever on doing so well on Thursday. If finances allow I hope to be part of it in the next 5 years.

The arrogance quotient at the event got a bit rediculous every now and again. The poor founder most likely didn't want the event taken over by these types, but there's little that can be done about it. Perhaps someone will invent a spray repellant or personality screening device at the gate...one can only dream.

Caught up with Kirby Hoyt, his gun business has expanded significantly in the past 5 years, and Joe the Drilling Hot Line guy. His wife, vile temptress, handed me some wonderful drillings. They sold my last two and treated me very fairly. A few good folks from Montana were about, a sculptor who's foundary is owned by my good friend and the Kimber sales guy, now located in Kalispell.

Overall a very worthwhile trip. Staying for the banquet would be fun next time.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Just got a call from the Vintagers some guy named retreever won the rifle donated by Ruger a
Ruger # 1 in 30/06... I won again ... Better start buying lottery tickets...
dancing

Mike Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG, Mike! Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Mike!

Bwana Chop Chop strikes again!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

I spent Friday and Saturday at the Vintagers and took a few photos for your enjoyment.
See this link: Vintagers 2007
View them in Slideshow mode for best results

Some comments and impressions as this was my first time attending:

Pintail Point was a beautiful place. It was a large and well maintained shooting club which looks to also have an active dairy farm and a new equestrian area. There were many opportunities to shoot a variety of clay bird games. It was easy to find and get to and the weather was spectacular. I was impressed with the beauty of the Maryland Eastern shore and you could smell fall in the air with some of the trees changing color, fields a golden brown and clear sunny day. The only downside was that there had been little rain and the corn field next to the event was recently harvested resulted in very dusty conditions….It was sad to see all the Hummers, BMWs, Mercedes and Lexus’s covered in dust!

The shoot will be held at the same place in 2008. There are hotels in nearby Queenstown and Kent Narrows but they are pricey and most were full. We stayed in Denton about 20 miles to the east and it was not too bad going to the show every day. Entrance fee is $20 per person and while that may seem a bit high when you look around at all the activities and preparations to put on a show such as this it can be understood.

We spent most of the day wandering from competition to competition and lusting heavily in the large vendor tents. Everyone of any name was well represented, English, Italian, German and American. It was great to be surrounded by friendly people with a common interest and especially impressive to hear the volume of shooting taking place all day. I’ll bet they went through a tractor trailer load of clay pigeons. The events were all well regulated and safety was a prime focus. All in all a very well run event and I would estimate about 1000 people in attendance on Saturday judging by the cars but hard to get an exact number.

I apparently missed Mike P as it looks like you were only there on Thursday so will have to catch him next year. The stopping rifle competition was very enjoyable especially since we were there when one gentleman was shooting his 8 bore SxS. Impressive piece of machinery and he handled it very well considering it was cutting loose with a 990 grain round ball. I tried to shoot some of the pictures on high speed to catch full recoil and it was the center of attention that day.

Overall a super event and I plan on going back next year and perhaps competing in some of the clay games.

Thanks
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Paul, great pics...and if you do the slide show and speed it up to 2 seconds the stopping rifle looks like motion pictures has movement..

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice photos, Paul. For those of us who weren't able to attend, it was nice to get a feel for how the event was carried out.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the running buffalo target for the stopping rifle event used a frontal target. Has anyone ever seen a buff move sideways while keeping his chest towards you? You would have thought they would have made up a second, broadside target for that presentation.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote