THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A question asked many times - recommended manufacturers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question asked many times - recommended manufacturers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm thinking about 450 NE or 470 NE. I want a rifle manufacturer that will custom fit the stock and balance to me. I know Verney Carron fits the bill. What about Heym or Searcy? Anyone else? Not going to pay London prices.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym stocks to you regardless of whether it is the 88B or 89.

Merkel does not and Kraigoff does not. Kraigoff does have an ex-spensive back action side lock made for them that is stocked up you.

Seary PH and up stocked to you.

Posts: 12208 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VC

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
You would be best served to come up to Dallas for the DSC show in January, handle as many doubles as you can and decide what works best for you.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Very sound advice! Take your time and learn before you buy...there are many choices and after you handle may types it will be clear to you what will best fit your needs.

quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
You would be best served to come up to Dallas for the DSC show in January, handle as many doubles as you can and decide what works best for you.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the last 10-12 years or so I had 3 different brands of rifles built. Searcy, Heym, and VC.

Searcy and Heym fit me like a glove. Butch asked for a lot of measurements and nailed it. When I ordered the Heym made a trip to SCI and had Chris measure me in person. Perfect fit.

Go to DSC or SCI and check all the major brands out. Decide what you like and want and have it put in writing they will redo the stock at their expense if the rifle doesn't fit you well.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken and Jerome will do the same at the Verney Carron booth.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have had Sabatti, VC, Merkel, and Heym doubles. I am now down to Heyms in large calibers. My latest is a Heym 89B in 450 Nitro Express. Chris measured me for the rifle and it fits perfectly. As a handloader I selected the 450 over the 470 due to wider bullet choices in the US. If you do not handload there is more factory ammunition available for the 470.

If possible I would suggest you try to fire a few of your potential choices. The reason I say that is my Merkel and Heym 88B in 470 Nitro Express both barked my second finger. Not too bad on the Merkel but painful on the Heym 88B. Easily corrected with a NECG finger pad but the pad is not required on the new Heym 69B as it has a more open grip.

Good luck with your quest.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbs:
Have had Sabatti, VC, Merkel, and Heym doubles. I am now down to Heyms in large calibers. My latest is a Heym 89B in 450 Nitro Express. Chris measured me for the rifle and it fits perfectly. As a handloader I selected the 450 over the 470 due to wider bullet choices in the US. If you do not handload there is more factory ammunition available for the 470.

If possible I would suggest you try to fire a few of your potential choices. The reason I say that is my Merkel and Heym 88B in 470 Nitro Express both barked my second finger. Not too bad on the Merkel but painful on the Heym 88B. Easily corrected with a NECG finger pad but the pad is not required on the new Heym 69B as it has a more open grip.

Good luck with your quest.

I was thinking of a 450 NE due to bullet selection and the fact I reload.

What is the weight of your 450?

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
i own a Heym 450, guessing about 10.5, would need to weigh it, 88B Standard (medium) frame

general advice-
If planning to resell a rifle in a couple to a few years after a trip ;
when ordering new- buy the 470 over the 450

as to reloading, i have 4 different weight loads that group in 4inches at 50 yds,(both barrels,8rds,4 loads)
could probably clean that up with more effort,(480 soft,480 solid, 405JSP,350 half jacket) (6 inches, if i add in the 275HCGC load)

however,with other lighter doubles to shoot i quit developing the lighter loads for more accuracy

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
i own a Heym 450, guessing about 10.5, would need to weigh it, 88B Standard (medium) frame

general advice-
If planning to resell a rifle in a couple to a few years after a trip ;
when ordering new- buy the 470 over the 450

as to reloading, i have 4 different weight loads that group in 4inches at 50 yds,(both barrels,8rds,4 loads)
could probably clean that up with more effort,(480 soft,480 solid, 405JSP,350 half jacket) (6 inches, if i add in the 275HCGC load)

however,with other lighter doubles to shoot i quit developing the lighter loads for more accuracy

Good point on the 470 NE resell!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the Heyms you can order with two different frame weights in 450/470. For simplicity I will call them light and heavy. Choice of frame size is a matter of choice and comes down to do you want more weight to reduce recoil or less weight to carry. Also, over the years, and depending on what was ordered; they have different barrel lengths. The 89B barrel contour is heavier to the rear than the 88B which moves the overall balance point to the rear and more between the hands.

I weighed my Heyms on a old baby scale and believe the weights may be about a pound light. However, here are the results:

Heym 89B Heavy Frame 450NE 26" barrels 9.1#

Heym 88B Light Frame 450NE 25" barrels 8.4#

Heym 88B Light Frame 470NE 24" barrels 8.3#

Hope this helps and if you are ever in the Dallas area let me know and we could go shoot them.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gbs:
On the Heyms you can order with two different frame weights in 450/470. For simplicity I will call them light and heavy. Choice of frame size is a matter of choice and comes down to do you want more weight to reduce recoil or less weight to carry. Also, over the years, and depending on what was ordered; they have different barrel lengths. The 89B barrel contour is heavier to the rear than the 88B which moves the overall balance point to the rear and more between the hands.

I weighed my Heyms on a old baby scale and believe the weights may be about a pound light. However, here are the results:

Heym 89B Heavy Frame 450NE 26" barrels 9.1#

Heym 88B Light Frame 450NE 25" barrels 8.4#

Heym 88B Light Frame 470NE 24" barrels 8.3#

Hope this helps and if you are ever in the Dallas area let me know and we could go shoot them.

Thank you! I'd like to get up there at some point for a shoot.

My 404J and 458WM are both 11 lbs w/Scopes, so sounds like going with the heavier frame would be an issue. Something in the 10 lb -11 lb range would be perfect. Maybe even heavier depending on the balance. I'd go with the 26" barrels and with my LOP, a pretty big stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never had a problem selling a .450 NE. So many bullet choices for reloading and I can use those same projectiles in my .450 Rigby bolt rifle.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
My Evans 470 weighs 10.75 lbs and I wouldn’t want it any heavier.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Searcy will be a great fit and the most accurate.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you should ask some of these guys:

https://www.heymusa.com/professional-hunters/

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
My Evans 470 weighs 10.75 lbs and I wouldn’t want it any heavier.

My .500 NE is the same...wouldn’t want anything heavier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why ask on a blog? you will get a barrage of opinnions..ONLY YOU can make the right decision on rifle fit..Try before you buy is my suggestion, otherwise buy a bulky stock and a cabinet file and some stock finish if your talented, or find a reasonable stock maker close to home and have him fit it to you..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Some good advise here.

I would shoot as many doubles as I can from friends etc.

I would make sure I really enjoy the caliber.

The 470 NE is at the very max end of my capabilities. I wish I could have bought a 450/400.

I would keep the weight at 10.5 lbs max.

VC round action and the Heym 89B look good.

good luck.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 450 NE Verney Carron. Yes - it gives you a recoil compared to a 375 or such, but quite possible to handle. I have shot 470 NE on some occations. For me that caliber schmack my shoulder in a more speedy way than the 450. I do not like it. Could of course have something to do with shape of stock as these 470 rifles are not buildt for me, but the 450 is. I have also tried the 500 NE on a couple of times too. More heavy recoil, but does not schmack me like the 470.

I fell down on a 450 as a little bit more adjusted to smaller game... the 500 I would say is a elephant Caliber and for the PH. The 470 in the middle,, but I do not think I would stand many shots on the shooting range. Maybe a small recoil reducer ( 240 gram ) in the backstock would do good… have discussed that with the Rigby team in London once …

When hunting I guess you do not notice except for the different seconds it takes to bring the barrels back in sight after 1st shot…

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morten, you need to get to the gym more often :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Morten, you need to get to the gym more often :-)

jumping

Jon, do not tease an old man … I do not need muscles for absorbing the recoil.. I need more height to be able to swing back better standing on my feet...

Any suggestions ???

Morten
alias Shorty Morty

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy some platform shoes? Ask Elton John :-)

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Your DGR should weigh in the area of 10.5 to 11.5 pounds. 26in barrels and all will be balanced and fitted for you. If you want a boomer, 45caliber and up you must have the weight to help with recoil. To light you will take a beating.
I shoot a 450#2 and I weighs in at 11.5 pounds and many AR guys have shot it also and loved it.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Buy some platform shoes? Ask Elton John :-)

Then I will look like a jumbo … big ears and big feet... the only difference is that thing between the back legs …

sofa

Morty

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Your DGR should weigh in the area of 10.5 to 11.5 pounds. 26in barrels and all will be balanced and fitted for you. If you want a boomer, 45caliber and up you must have the weight to help with recoil. To light you will take a beating.
I shoot a 450#2 and I weighs in at 11.5 pounds and many AR guys have shot it also and loved it.

Mike

My 450 VC weights 11.023 pounds - rather nice to shoot with ..

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:

Mike

There's at least 1/2 pound extra in that big ole beaver tail fore-end Morten.

Whistling

My VC in 500NE weighs 10.25 lbs. When the stock fits correctly, you don't need that extra pound or so of weight to handle recoil.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by retreever:

Mike

There's at least 1/2 pound extra in that big ole beaver tail fore-end Morten.

Whistling

Toddyboy.. Belieber said I needed to go to the gym - thats why it is like heavy and bulky. But unfortunately that bush gym does'nt happen too often… Frowner Mad

Morten

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO,most doubles should weigh at least 11 lbs and that includes 450/400NE,450NE and 500NE with no recoil reducers.If not the rifle will not balance well and barrel walls will be too thin.Also if one does not have the strength to carry a 11 lbs rifle they have no business in the bush.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
IMO,most doubles should weigh at least 11 lbs and that includes 450/400NE,450NE and 500NE with no recoil reducers.If not the rifle will not balance well and barrel walls will be too thin.Also if one does not have the strength to carry a 11 lbs rifle they have no business in the bush.

Says the guy who can't distinguish a bull from a cow!!!

coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Says the guy who can't distinguish a bull from a cow!!!

coffee

Not when I am eating a steak. moon

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Heym 88B 470 weighs is at 11 lbs. It has one mercury recoil tube in the stock. Has very dense wood.
I doubled it once. Do not know how. Perhaps strummed the triggers.
Did not know what happened for a few seconds. My son was laughing at me. WTF....

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
My Heym 88B 470 weighs is at 11 lbs. It has one mercury recoil tube in the stock. Has very dense wood.
I doubled it once. Do not know how. Perhaps strummed the triggers.
Did not know what happened for a few seconds. My son was laughing at me. WTF....

Minus the 1 lb break and you got a 10 pound rifle.If you consider a bolt rifle in 458 caliber to weigh about 9 3/4 with no scope and you have a rifle with two barrels weighing the same, those barrels on the double are thin like tooth pics.Best would be a rifle weighing 12lbs with break.The extra weight will also tame the recoil and make the double much more attractive,IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Heym 500 88B is built on a larger frame. It weighs 12 pounds. I would not want it any lighter or heavier. More important than raw weight is balance and fit.

I had a friend up from Alabama two weeks ago. This was the first, and only, double he has shot. He too opined, unsolicited, that he would not want it lighter.

I tried an older Browning based Searcy that weighed 12 pounds that did not have the balance, very weight forward. I almost went with the smaller frame for my double due to that. I listed to Chris Sells and am glad I did.

Posts: 12208 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My 470NE VC / Demas weighs 10lbs 3 0z and is very well balanced.

Yes it does boot me but it fits me well.

I once shot a 470NE Chapuis that did not fit me at all and it really hammered me. I had a big lump on my cheek for a month and a head ache after just 4 shots IIRC.

If one plans to carry the rifle and hunt a lot with it, I would not go over 10.5 lbs. JMHO.

I found the 11lbs+ rifles very hard to mount quickly. One would need a LOT of practice and muscle memory to be able to get such a heavy rifle into action quickly if DG hunting turns nasty. No personal experience but JMHO

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote