New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ready to buy a DR
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, after saving for three years, I am ready to purchase a double in .500NE. My budget is to be under $10,000.00 out the door. I want a modern DR and even open for a used DR.

What are my options?

Thanks

Posts: 146 | Location: CA. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tongo:
Ok, after saving for three years, I am ready to purchase a double in .500NE. My budget is to be under $10,000.00 out the door.

What are my options?

Thanks

New, or old?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cheers CONGRATULATIONS - GREAT NEWS!

With your budget I can only think of maybe a used www.searcyent.com and new or used MERKLE.

What ever you wind up with, may it serve you very VERY WELL!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
go to:
www.eGun.de ........ and search for number 1073591...ostensibly black powder....but probably nitro-do-able. Price is absurdly low.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
New Merkel will run about $8000. They are a great shooting rifle. Then plow the balance into reloading supplies.

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, after saving for three years, I am ready to purchase a double in .500NE. My budget is to be under $10,000.00 out the door.
Thanks

Lucky bastard!!!!!!!!!!! Wink
I wish I was in your place!
Congratulations! cheers

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scrape up a little bit more and get a Searcy made to fit you. i promise you wont regret it.

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by degoins:
scrape up a little bit more and get a Searcy made to fit you. i promise you wont regret it.

My thoughts exactly, sell something, scrape up a little bit more, etc. and get yourself a Searcy that fits you like a glove. Your only 1,000 dollars shy of doing it. Butch has been known to start orders with less than 50% down, it's going to take a year to make the gun anyway so that gives you another year get the rest of the greenbacks together. If you have any problems with your rifle, it's a fast fix done here in the USA. I've had to send a DR back to Germany once and it took 10 months to get it back. If your price is etched in stone at less than 10,000 you might find yourself a used Searcy or the Merkle is the other option, IMO the Merkle is light for caliber, has no ejectors (which is fine for a lot of DR owners), and you have to put a recoil pad on it, etc. Not a big deal but when you've been saving up as you have for three years it's nice to get a gun that fit's you and has your name written all over it.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Go and order a Searcy.

You need to put 50% down on the rifle to get it started.

Take the other $5000 and invest it in a conservative mutual fund or other investment vehicle. When the time comes to withdrawl the money, you will only have to pony up a few bucks (if any) and get the best DR for the money in that price range.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Butch still has a few of the older rifles he completely refurbished in 470 Nitro. And they are under $10k. Can't beat his guarantee and service.

As I recall, these were rifles made under the Searcy label in Africa. Butch was not satisfied with the quality and completely rebuilt them. You won't find a better double for the price right now.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
You should be able to find a new or used Merkel for around your price or a little less. Butches guns are more custom than the Merks. I have a Merk and am very happy with it, but will probably buy a Searcy next. Butch ain't gettin any younger and if you are going to get one, better get on the stick and get it ordered.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1253 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
go to:
www.eGun.de ........ and search for number 1073591...ostensibly black powder....but probably nitro-do-able. Price is absurdly low.

World class bad idea. In the old days, a few (not many) BPEs were reproved to full nitro. Some survived, some didn't. It was a bad idea then as they weren't made for it, and it makes no sense at all now.

For the money you have to spend now, the best choice is the Merkel. I'm not a Merkel fan, but they're the only option worth having in that caliber and price range. You could save some more money and get a nice used Heym.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
400....you may not be a Merkel fan now, but get one, send it to JJ for a good pad (I got the red one..looks "classic") and improved sights...both mods for about $200 or less..and then go shoot it. They are VERY servicable firearms. If you want a piece of artwork, save your $$ until you can get something else. Mine was/is well regulated with quite a few loads...factory and handloads..and shoots very nice. I also managed to put a couple of minor scratches (character) on the wood recently on my buff hunt...I might have been po'd if I'd have spent $12,000 instead of $7800 (new).
There's my $.02.

PS Mine's a 470, not 500...but they're the same gun. 3 different PH's looked/held my rifle in SA and Zim recently...to a man they all thought it was a great firearm.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garby:

I have experience with both. Like I said, for what he has to spend now, the Merkel is the best choice. Although they need the mods you suggested, they're decent, basic, servicable DRs and are a decent value for the money. My point was that there are better DRs for more money that offer better value for the money spent. I'd rather have a nice used Heym, or a new Heym PH in the $12 to $13k range than a new Merkel for $8000. Just depends on how much you have to spend. I'm not a fan of the Heym either, but it's a better gun than the Merkel.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't argue that as I've never held a Heym. I prefer the Merkel to both the Krieghoff and the Chapuis, however...regargless of the money. I don't like the beavertail forarm of the Chapuis and the cocking mech on the Kreighoff. That's just personal preference, but then the Merkel is less expensive than either. The $$ saved, however, allows one to hunt that second trip or that "other" species of DG...whatever it may be.

Of course, the best one is the one you buy and then take your first head of DG with....that's TRUELY what counts. Smiler

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as long as the stock is long enough it is easy to modify it and add a recoil pad - for function and looks. the merkels are purposely long for that reason.

why a 500 ? you must be a j a hunter fan.

the 470 is undoubtedly the favorite around the world and you can get ammo for it anywhere....

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garby:

With the exception of the Chapuis UGEX in 9.3 and smaller calibers, yeah, I'd prefer the Merkel to the Chapuis or Krieghoff, too.
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burn gunpowder."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tongo: another vote for the Searcy. Yes it's about a grand more but for that you get a gun fitted to you with ejectors!!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well tongo, what are you going to buy ???

we are looking forward to seeing it at the jan drss shoot !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, most likely a Searcy PH will be my choice. A Heym PH would be great but out of my price range.

Thank you everyone for the opinions and advice.

Posts: 146 | Location: CA. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, most likely a Searcy PH will be my choice. A Heym PH would be great but out of my price range.

Thank you everyone for the opinions and advice.

That or a Merkel would be my first.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a heym ph isnt that much more i belive there 2500$ more i would save up for longer if thats what you really wanted.....never settle for something you dont want.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote