New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tuffpaks and double rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going to Zim in a 59 days and I’m taking a 470 double and a 404 Jeffery bolt gun. How do you guys pack your double in your Tuffpak? Do you pack it broken down and in a breakdown soft case? Then do you also bring along a full size soft case for transporting while on the hunting truck? Would it be foolish to pack it assembled? Have never traveled with a double.

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I would not pack it assembled, it should be broken down in a take down case. And personally I would not use a Tuff Pak for doubles but others do.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

What case would you recommend for transporting one double and one bolt gun?

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I use a Kalispel (no longer in business) case but there is another company out there now making Kalispel-like cases. They are welded aluminum cases with solid foam interiors. In the double gun case you can actually get two dissembled doubles and still come in just under 50 pounds. To me, they just provide more protection and the guns are not moving at all inside the case.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave up on my tuff pack when the TSA started opening cases and inspecting. Seems like the tuffpack works well when you can carefully pack cloths and other items around the soft gun cases. Then the TSA agent pulls it all apart to inspect and then tries to shove the guns back in. They won't let you touch it after they have inspected. I went to a Pelican case with the foam cut out for a double and a bolt gun facing in opposite directions. Hard for the even the TSA to screw that up.

All that said, last trip I took my son and his 308 as well so went to an americase 3 gun safari case. Had to make good foam spacers to hold the guns in but that worked as well

Remember the acid test: take your cased rifle and stand on a pickup bed (or equivalent) throw the case as far as you can onto concrete. Repeat twice. If you cant smile while doing that, you need a sturdier case

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bradhe:
Remember the acid test: take your cased rifle and stand on a pickup bed (or equivalent) throw the case as far as you can onto concrete. Repeat twice. If you cant smile while doing that, you need a sturdier case

Yup!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Tuffpak for the first time last June to Zim. Absolutely zero issues. I had a Bolt gun and a Double. Had the Boyt DR case and had the Double broken down and the bolt gun in a regular soft case. Packed things around them and put into a stuff sack. Worked well. I had modified the case like Judge G and others had done and felt very good about the safety of the contents. This year will be a double rifle only hunt so I bought the take-down Tuffpak at DSC. Have already made the mods for the extra lock on it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a double rifle case where I stored my broken down double, when I traveled to Africa I put both the double rifle case and a bolt rifle in a soft case into my Tuffpak. I never had any problems.

JJ Perodeau told me to never transport or ship a double unless it is broken down.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I used a Tuffpak for the first time last June to Zim. Absolutely zero issues. I had a Bolt gun and a Double. Had the Boyt DR case and had the Double broken down and the bolt gun in a regular soft case. Packed things around them and put into a stuff sack. Worked well. I had modified the case like Judge G and others had done and felt very good about the safety of the contents. This year will be a double rifle only hunt so I bought the take-down Tuffpak at DSC. Have already made the mods for the extra lock on it.

Course, no one will give a rats A$$ if those Blasers get damaged! Hard to damage what's "Not Right" in the first place!

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tweren't just a Blaser, Had my Searcy as well. And you are wrong. I would care.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Tweren't just a Blaser, Had my Searcy as well. And you are wrong. I would care.
Roll Eyes

Of course, if a Searcy is involved, that changes everything!

As to the "I would care" statement, applied to the Blasers: CRYBABY

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
You need to get some help for this aversion my friend. The number for the therapist is
1-800-BITE-ME! hilbily

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any time the TSA has opened up one of my Tuffpaks they have always had me do the repacking.

The reason is simple, I can get 7 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag. shocker Big Grin

I always say politely as I hand one of them the key, "You guys are ging to have to have me repack it".

They realize this immediately upon looking in my Tuffpak...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tony, last two times I went through TSA in Houston they were absolutely anal that I could not touch anything, nothing during and after their inspection. They said if I did, they would have to reinspect. They would not even let me put the locks on. I guess my point is that TSA practice -- shockingly -- varies from airport to airport. I would not bet on TSA letting you repack a Tuff Pak.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Tony, last two times I went through TSA in Houston they were absolutely anal that I could not touch anything, nothing during and after their inspection. They said if I did, they would have to reinspect. They would not even let me put the locks on. I guess my point is that TSA practice -- shockingly -- varies from airport to airport. I would not bet on TSA letting you repack a Tuff Pak.

The exact reason I have never used a Tuff Pak gun case. Sounds great in theory, but as soon as TSA pulls it apart, it's questionable as to getting it repacked properly. My 2 cents ... TSA at every airport I've traveled through, have absolutely 100% refused to allow me to touch the rifles or case after submitting it to them for inspection. Some airport TSA officials have refused to allow me to watch the inspection at all.

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Pelican 2 rifle case, or Storm 2 rifle case. I put each rifle in a soft case, a Murray or Orvis leather for the double, a Boyt for the bolt rifle. This gives the rifles a little extra protection, as well as gives me something to put them in on the truck. I fill in the spaces between with extra pairs of socks, other soft stuff.

TSA hasn't TOUCHED my stuff last few trips thru IAH. Just sent it thru the scanner, swabbed it and that was it. Of course, they forgot to take it from the secure area to the Lufthansa plane on the way out, cost a day on the other side waiting for it to catch up.

Customs finger banged both rifles on the return however, but more from " cool, nice rifles, what did you shoot?". I was the un-locker and un-caser though, as well as putting it all back together. They didn't seem to want to be responsible from that perspective.

I did modify both the Storm and Pelican cases though, added two hasps and a pair of locks. I put them on very tight, and use them in addition to the original locks, one of which broke off during the last trip, was glad to have the extras.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote