THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Anyone familiar with this Chapuis 9.3x74r?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone familiar with this Chapuis 9.3x74r?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi gents,

I picked up a Chapuis double last summer and wondered if anyone here might be familiar with this particular rifle. It came to the US through Champlin Arms. I know it was up on Armslist with a Topeka, KS location just about a year ago, and later it was in a Cabela's in WV. It has the 550cm barrels, a Decelerator pad, and the non-Chapuis cloth case is kind of an interesting woven burgundy pink. The rib blocks have been removed for Ruger mounts and rings (I know, I know - not my doing - but they work) for a scope setup with a 2.5x20 Kahles Helia S.

I used 286gr Oryx this season but also have some 232gr - it seemed to like the 286 better, though the 1998 build date I got from Xavier at Chapuis mean it was (is?) more likely a 232gr regulation. I talked to JJ about looking into his records but those are quite substantial and, he said, mostly all on paper. I thought it'd be better to leave him alone to keep working with some of your fine doubles...

Anyway, this rifle been out with me all autumn after game around the Rockies, and was a good companion for a very close moose charge late in the season. I love my old, battered BSS when I'm around more temperamental beasts but this is definitely a treat to carry. I'm quite pleased with it and thought it'd be great to at least check for information with all of you.

My apologies for the lack of quality in the photos...camera met an untimely end next to a campfire.

http://imgur.com/a/vzBui

Posts: 10 | Location: Montana | Registered: 19 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tweed, welcome to AR. Someone indeed may recognize that rifle...lots of DR guys here on AR. Was there some specific questions you had regarding this particular rifle?

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Tweed - Welcome - Always nice to have another 9.3 shooter here!

Is that a pink case? We'll need you to paint it if you're gonna post anymore pics of it ;-)

I actually kind of like the ruger ring setup. I've seen that on a couple doubles and see it as a rock solid setup for a DR.

I had a 9.3 Merc that was regulated for the 232gr and it seemed to shoot everything well. My current 9.3 has an addiction for 286gr TSX's, which is fine by me!

I love the 9.3 - It's an A$$ stomper for sure!

Lots of bright guy's around here (myself excluded) they can answer any and all of your questions.

JDA

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Biebs. I think I'm most interested in seeing if anyone here has any info on it. I did my due diligence and read through the entire double rifle forum to learn more about various loads, cleaning, etc., so I'll try not to ask too many redundant questions. On the off chance someone does know the rifle, it'd be great help to me to know anything more about it - potential re-regulation, quirks, that kind of thing.

One thing I didn't feel like I found a definitive answer to while probing the depths of Google and AR was upkeep of an oil-finished stock. There was a lot on refinishing, but what do you recommend for simple care? I have one of those little Warthog refinishing sets that apparently follows the Purdey blend and thought about rubbing in some of the oils from the kit.

I should probably note that I realize it is hardly the most unique double floating around here. I hate to clutter things! Just thought I'd take a chance on someone clicking the link and seeing their old rifle. Thanks!

And yes, JDA, I was expecting one of those Chapuis factory canvas and leather cases when it did finally arrive to my FFL. Out came this embroidered pinkish thing. Some smug looks around hunting spots when you pull it out, sure, but it hits hard!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wax; I use Johnson's paste wax but get one with as much carnuba as possible. "Oil finished" can mean about 100 things, depending on what oil they used. Linseed, tung, drying, with urethane... I cover it all with good quality wax.
The old way of hand rubbing in raw linseed oil every few months, is probably the worst finish possible from a water repelling standpoint.
Have not seen your rifle before; it's been hiding in someone's closet. Chapuis finishes are varnish or some sort of urethane based oil; (the ones I have are) rubbing more oil on it won't do anything but build up more layers. Wax it. Load for it. Shoot it; there is no substitute for that.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hi Tweed,

Best wishes to you with your new rifle. May all
the game you desire come into it's sights and
fall to it's report...
wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Tweed, Don't know if the Chapuis is one I owned but I am the only person I ever heard of who had Ruger bases made for a Chapuis 9.3x74R. On mine they were portions of a Ruger No1 quarter rib milled to fit the factory rib block openings using the same two screws if memory serves. Scope at that time was a Leupold VariX-III 1.5x5. Irons were the original Chapuis.If memory serves it probably had a Pachmyer Decellerator on it and had a mercury reducer in the buttstock hole. It shot beautifully except it kicked the everlovin out of my cheek.Of all the doubles I have ever had it was quite probably my favorite. I purchased it basically unfired from the original buyer who was in Ohio,I believe. Like so many of the guns I have owned I regret trading it but something new came up that I had to have. Never shot anything with it but ground squirrels,cans and rocks. Killed a lot of those suckers though. It was to be my heavy for Africa but never took it. Finally scratched the itch with a Merkel 470 that I took an Elephant with, then went back to bolt guns. I have fond memories of the Chapuis and if it is fact yours I wish you much enjoyment and success with it. Mine was a UGEX Serial #29421. As far as loads go I used 286gr Barnes x's,270gr Speers,286gr Nosler Partitions. The x bullets didn't shoot for squat. Powder was a couple of grains under max of IMR4350. I NEVER loaded max on anything.Brass was Norma mostly as RWS was hard to get at the time. You could only get 2 loads out of Norma at that time . Second round left a very distinct ring on the brass. RWS and Selleir & Belloit was much better brass at the time. It grouped very well though not a bench rest gun by any means. If this is the same gun anything I can do to help ,just ask.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Zim...I have your rifle. Wow! Thank you so much for the information and memories. It can kick my cheek to another century too, but I think I was creeping up the comb a bit because it doesn't always leave me smarting.

For those who will enjoy seeing proof of this small DR world:
http://imgur.com/V3STqfU

Funny thing is, I had seen a lot of your posts in this section of AR while I shopped for doubles. After finally getting this one, I wondered if there was any chance it had been yours. Lots of similarities in past mentions of yours, but Chapuis isn't exactly a rare make in the DR world either, and I figured the pad, etc. were at least somewhat standard.

I took some basic clear Briwax to the wood this weekend with great results, so thanks, dpcd, for the paste wax idea. So pleased with it that I'm going to tackle a gooey BSS stock as soon as possible, and already cleaned up an ancient Savage 22.

One last question - anyone care to provide me with a set of guidelines on properly holding a DR for offhand shooting? I know things can vary and want to make sure I don't develop bad habits on this slimmer frame.

Such a pleasure to learn from everyone. Thanks again!

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have often wondered if anyone bothered with the trigger pull. It had a very hard pull for the left barrel. Right barrel was fine but I never got around to doing anything about the left one. As to off hand I can't give you any particular advice. I did not handle it any different than any other gun offhand. The grip was the right size and I am a majority of one on this panel who LIKES beavertail forearms. I actually dislike doubles rifled or smooth with the so called 'splinter' forearms. The thing you do with splinters is 'pick them out' and toss. Hope you enjoy it and take many head with it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote