THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Today's range session trying out reduced 470NE loads.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's range session trying out reduced 470NE loads.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted
The two reduced loads for 470NE were 106 grains of IMR4831 with a 400 grain Speer jacketed bullet, and 46 grains of Accurate 5744 no filler and a 500 grain jacketed bullet.

The results were very surprising. The first four shots were with the 5744/500 grain bullet. It regulated well but was about two inches low at 25 yards. It had very mild recoil. A great plinking load.

The 4831/400 grain bullet load was the surprise. The recoil was hardly reduced at all. It was stout. This load however regulated a little tighter than the other one and was right on the money for elevation. This one is not a plinker at all but might be good for a cheap hog load. Someone at the range commented that there was a good bit of flame shooting out of the rifle with this one.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
My 470 regulates with 102grs of IMR4831 and Woodleigh 500gr softs and the Hornady 400gr XTPs.

The recoil is definately lighter with the 400grs bullets. I'll have to try the Speers.

It's very common for a double to shoot a bullet approximately 25% lighter with the same load to the same POA.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
It certainly did regulate to the same point of impact at 25 yards but the recoil was not very much less than with 500 grain bullets.

The main difference would be the savings as the Speer 400 grain bullets are substantially less expensive than Woodleigh 500 grain bullets.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Muletrain,
I shoot the speer 400's out of my 470 Heym,I am using Rx15,recoil is not bad at all,regulates good,maybe 2" @50,last time in Texas,I shot a pig @ 125 yrds with this combo,one shot one dead on the spot pig.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back I machined up a swage die to bump .458" bullets up to .474" to use in my .470.
Tried some 350 gn Hornady roundnose and some 300 grain bonded core Taipans. Seated them over the same charge I use with the 500 grainers.
The 300 grain loads hangfired, and I gave up on that load.
The 350 Hornadys shot well and regulated ok. I never got around to chronographing these however. Recoil was definately less than full 500 grain loads.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
The recoil was hardly reduced at all.

W/o measuring velocities, is this somewhat speculative?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Perceptual

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perception is not always everything is it? I have taken to videoing my shooting. Keeps the flinching down.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
good god at that rate youl wear it out in 6 months

so are ya haven fun yet

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
good god at that rate youl wear it out in 6 months

so are ya haven fun yet

Having a ball, thanks. I went back to the range today for some more practice. There is a Hoot-N-Shoot comming up pretty soon.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 36.5 grs of Trail Boss ( 98% of case capacity ) with 425 gr cast bullet and CCI#200. 1445 fps. Clean burning and very accurate at 50 yds.

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok. "

Posts: 54 | Location: Brandon, Ms. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote