New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sad tale with happy ending
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have carried my double rifle to each gun show since I bought it since I promised my wife I would offer it for sale for a profit. She was not convinced that I needed a rifle that I had paid so much for. My cunning plan was to price it so high that it would not sell. This strategy worked for 10 shows - until TULSA. The profit was almost double what I had invested. Since I didn't want anyone to think I was a complete idiot, I sold it. I mourned for a week. Today I brought home my new rifle. The pain has been eased to a degree by the presence of a significant amount of cash and this new Merkel 470. A trip to Cabelas resulted in some ammo and I plan to ring it out tomorrow morning.
Now I need brass. Smiler

Mike

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Oh Mike, you had a Beauty there. But, it's hard to walk about from a 100% profit!

And you still have a DR!!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WTG Mike! I know it was tough letting go of your double!

Keep an eye out for a 9.3X74R for me!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I wish I had known! A guy came by me at Tulsa with an Italian SXS 9.3X74R that looked great but I didn't know about the maker. He wanted 3800 for it. I should see him at Dallas later next month and I will ask him if he still has it.
I still miss my Coggie.

Mike

Mike Davis
DRSS

Posts: 167 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Congratulations - I'm glad to hear that you have taken a positive step in dealing with your grief over the loss of the coggie. Also - the guy in Tulsa with the double is a friend of mine. I think he still has it. I'll give him a call to confirm and report back. Chris

Posts: 29 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 26 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's OK Chris. No need to open old wounds with reports.

Mike

Mike Davis
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Parting with an old love is difficult. But the formula for resolving the grief is fairly straightforward. The replacement of the former with the new requires the new in a number sufficient to equal the age or of the old, but no less than a 2 for one ratio.

For example, a man getting divorce from his 50 year old wife meeds to replace the void with two 25 year olds (25 + 25 = 50).

With rifles, the age thing may not work out as well, but a two-for-one formula not only seems reasonable but prudent.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Davis:
That's OK Chris. No need to open old wounds with reports.

Mike

Mike - It was the guy with the 9.3x74R I was going to check with. Chris

Posts: 29 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 26 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,
My mistake! Confused YES, I would like to hear from him ASAP.

Jim,
Your advise is sound. With any luck, the next will be a 9.3. Wink

Mike

Mike Davis
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I look forward to your reports on the new rifle.
Good deals are nearly as much fun as looking at nekked women.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Good deals are tangible and have definite value. Nekked women are fun to look at but are just like looking at a travel brochure - Looking at places you're never going to get to visitWink

Mike

Mike Davis
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter where you get your appetite as long as you eat at home. Wink

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Damn, You guys are making me hungry!
Sorry about the Coggie Mike! But you still have a DR, and you just can't walk away from a deal like that!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Doc,

From your new avatar, it looks like you have been watching one too many Bruce Lee movies. That, with a strong influence of "Revenge of the Nerds".

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I owe all of the recognition for my Avitars to my Son! I made the mistake of giving him my password, and as they say, The rest is history

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc52:
Jim,
I owe all of the recognition for my Avitars to my Son! I made the mistake of giving him my password, and as they say, The rest is history

Just wait until you see what else I have planned for the future.

I will be changing his avatar about every month. Sooooooo, stay tuned!!!!

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote