New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doubling the Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought I better get my version of the story out while That Texan is still on a flight back to Houston, because I am sure he is scrambling to get to his computer to post this.

AR member and Searcy DSC raffle winner, That Texan came to Phoenix on business this week. We decided to go out to the desert yesterday afternoon and shoot my 500 NE Merkel. I shot pretty well, so I was feeling pretty cocky. On my last two rounds I said I was going to shoot them as fast as I could and see what type of grouping I could manage.

I didn’t put my finger as far around the trigger as I usually do so I could fire them as fast at possible. I fired the right barrel, the recoil knocked my finger off the front trigger, I guess I continued to squeeze and caught the rear trigger. The two shots were nearly instantaneous.

That Texan thought it was some kind of echo until he looked at me and saw me in roughly the same position as Daffy Duck when he tried to shoot Elmer Fudd, bent over backward with my spine running at roughly a 90 degree angle to my legs.

The recoil was not as bad as I would have imagined, but it did bang the hell out of my knuckles. The worst part was That Texan giving me crap all night.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ouch. But how was the grouping?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think they stayed in the same county.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
I think they stayed in the same county.

clap rotflmo clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
eh, don't feel bad...Rusty doubled a double at the last DRSS hunt...

there is a picture of it somewhere on here.... Big Grin

Love ya, Rusty!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal

What am I laughing at, if I know myself half as well as I think I do, whenever I get a double I'll unfortunatly do the same thing.

Cory

Still saving up for a .500NE double rifle(Searcy of course)

Posts: 189 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
sofaLee, my question is did you learn anything from this experiance? lol

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Just think if you were within 6 yds of a bull ele you may have hit him in the head with both slugs... rotflmo

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same county eh? Very good shooting!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Nice group...

Ouch

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep,
First time to shoot a Merkel 470. Double that bad boy! I beleive that the photo shows me with a "slightly" elevated muzzle Eeker animal

What this doesn't show is that Perry in the background injured his back when he fell to the ground laughing! clap

I can attest that the recoil from a doubled 470 is less than that of right barrel of a 500 Merkel! rotflmo

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
sofaLee, my question is did you learn anything from this experiance? lol

Hog Killer

Yes I did: never ever ever take Bill shooting. jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
After my THIRD time doing the doubling double dance I started using the LEFT barrel first!

Cuts that stuff right out. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you say "Always shoot rear trigger first"?
jumping

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going shooting later today. I'll give the left barrel first method a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
...On my last two rounds I said I was going to shoot them as fast as I could...

Well he surly did that didn't he! clap

Cory

Still saving up for a .500NE double rifle(Searcy of course)

Posts: 189 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With Quote