THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Any reduced 450 NE loads that still regulate?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any reduced 450 NE loads that still regulate?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a reduced loaded for a 450 3 1/4 NE that might regulate in a double. Trying to see if I can make this a dual purpose rifle. Any loads with 350-405gr bullets that may regulate would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. K

one of us
posted Hide Post
With a 350 to 405gr byllet start with @48gr of IMR 4198. You must use dacron filler. I use 12 to 15 grains in my slightly larger 450 No2 case. Just make sure that the dacron is compressed between the bullet and the powder.
Velocity should be around 1700 to 1800fps.

Go up in powder weight watchung for pressure till the load regulates.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kynoch:

I have been away for about 10 days on vacation/family issues. I have some reduced loads using 5744 with no filler. I will post or PM you in the next few days. I have used similar combo with my 470 with very good luck for mild recoiling practice.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I was thinking VERY similar!

A 450 NE rifle. Regulated for 480 grs Bullets at 2150 ft, Powders for reloading: 4831, N 160, MRP.

For reduced loads, for boar hunting and up:

Horn 350 grs RN, 400 grs Speer FP, Lead bullets: Lyman 293 grs ( Gould? Bullet ), 330 grs ( ? ) HP Mould or LEE 400 grs HP Mould.

What tips could you give me?

Thanks, H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
BTT.

Did note yesterday, that HEYM of Germany makes NEW DR´s in .450 NE.

How about the Nosler Partition .45 - 70 bullet at 2000 to 2150, ~ top .30-06 energywise. Or the Hornady or Woodleigh ( or else ) 350 grs RN for a "light" .458, for a ~ .300 WM Energy - wise load?

Are there any peculiarities in loading the .450? Does the straight taper gives any problems? RCBS dies or else? Which cases would you recommend?

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arminius
I would start with IMR 3031, 70 grains, and work up one grain at a time. You must use filler.
Dacron will work fine, just be sure it is compressed between the powder and the bullet base.

I use 81 grains of IMR 3031 with the 350 Hornady RN.

It hits the same place as my 480 grainers out to 200 yards. I have taken several deer, wild pigs and a couple of coyotes with that load.

My velocity is @2330fps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 450 #2!

I presume, in 450 NE 3 1/4" numbers ( of powder in grains ) will be slighly slower?

I don´t know what "Dacron" is: is this some plastic material and what is the German word for it? Is this some kind of insulating material, or rather like patches for cleaning?

WH Hermann

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dacron is commercial name I believe. You can use the kind of filler that is used for quilting or to fill pillows. My wife in to quilting, so I use that material. It is very light and "fluffy" for want of a better term.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote