THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .450/400 3" Low Velocity Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.450/400 3" Low Velocity Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I received my new Heym Model 88 double that I ordered at the Vegas Safari Club show last year. It is an amazing rifle and it is my first double. I have begun practicing with it using some low velocity loads as well as standard and was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for the low velocity rounds? The ones I bought are excellent but they are $12 a pull and it kind of takes some of the fun out of shooting. Forgive me if I cluttered up this forum as I posted this in reloading as well.

Posts: 55 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone here will explain the "75% Rule" for light loads in double rifles. It works well, but I'll let others more experienced in its use explain it correctly.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very simple. Use a bullet that is ~75% of the weight of the bullet the rifle is regulated for, with the same powder charge as used for the full weight bullet. So if the rifle is regulated to shoot a 400 grain bullet with 80 grains of Powder X, use a 300 grain bullet with 80 grains of Powder X.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
What Mike said is 100% and in my .450-400 I use 300-grain bullets by Hornady for the .405 Winchester.

That said, I also use the 75% rule in reverse and use the same bullet weight and 75% of the powder charge. This is good in calibers where the lighter bullet may not be available. HOWEVER, one must use a filler above the primer to keep the powder next to the primer for proper ignition. This has been working for me for a few years and is easier to formulate as lessening the powder charge is simple.
Thirdly, I also have been experimenting with the light nitro or nitro for black rounds in the full nitro doubles and have been very happy with the accuracy.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the normal 75% rule doesn't decrease velocity as mentioned by the poster, just the recoil due to the lighter bullet. A BP or NFB will reduce velocity and recoil.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much guys. As I don't reload I will pass this info on to my hunting buddy who loads our ammo and is a member here. Much appreciated.

Posts: 55 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a cheap practice load. It probably won't shoot to regulation in your rifle but you can shoot all day for a few bucks. 210 grain Hornady XTP 41 caliber pistol bullets. (.410 diameter)
30 grains of "Trail Boss" You should get about 1850 fps with no recoil.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob. I will try that load to just shoot things for practice with the double. Not targets,

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
What Mike said is 100% and in my .450-400 I use 300-grain bullets by Hornady for the .405 Winchester.

That said, I also use the 75% rule in reverse and use the same bullet weight and 75% of the powder charge. This is good in calibers where the lighter bullet may not be available. HOWEVER, one must use a filler above the primer to keep the powder next to the primer for proper ignition. This has been working for me for a few years and is easier to formulate as lessening the powder charge is simple.
Thirdly, I also have been experimenting with the light nitro or nitro for black rounds in the full nitro doubles and have been very happy with the accuracy.
Cheers,
Cal

The passage above in bold is a little misleading. It sounds like the filler is placed in the case over the primer, and then the powder on top of the filler! A typing mistake the Cal surely knows better. The filler is always between the powder and the BULLET, not between the powder and the primer!

.................................................................................Cal you must have been using MY keyboard because that is like one of my mistakes!
.......................................... Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOH!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsrule:
Thanks very much guys. As I don't reload I will pass this info on to my hunting buddy who loads our ammo and is a member here. Much appreciated.

Blackdogsrule, it would be to your benefit to obtain a set of dies and a press and a powder scale, and do you own hand loading. The cost will of factory ammo will very soon pay for the equipment, and to get the best from any double rifle one, IMO, must hand-load! There are any number of folks here who can guide you through working up a regulating load for your rifle.

By the way welcome to the wacky world of double rifles! You are hooked now with a addiction that you will never kick!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another great way to get more enjoyable shooting out of your Nitro Express double rifle is to load Nitro for Black equivalent loads.

In a 450/400 3" or 3 1/2" with 300gr bullets start with 44 gr of IMR 4198, and work up to 46gr to see what load shoots best in your double.

WARNING, WARNING, YOU MUST USE A FILLER WITH THESE LOADS.

I use 12 grains of polyester pillow stuffing or a foam plug.

The filler MUST BE COMPRESSED BETWEEN THE POWDER AND THE BULLET.
The velocity should be around 1700 to 1800fps.
plenty of power for deer and pigs.

That load has regulated well and hit to the sights at 50 yards in several 450/400 doubles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load 69.5 grains of RL15 so the 75% rule would say 52.125.

I use 255 grain lead projectiles in my NFB loads of 4198 using 44 grains and had remarkable accuracy.

Listen to N E 450 No2 and YOU MUST USE A FILLER. LOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK. My filler was backer rod. Works great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is the best place to purchase reloading dies, and accessories for the 450/400? Thanks

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
midway, graf, natchez, where do you get your regular reloading equipment?

Posts: 17289 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Also Huntingtons for RCBS and CH Tool--they would have them in stock.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I really appreciate the replies and am really having a blast with this gun even though I haven't gotten to shoot it as much as I would have liked so far. I bought a bunch of Hornady DGX and DGS to start with and some low recoil practice ammo. Hopefully my buddy that loads all our regular ammo can help me out with new rifle. I am sure once I get into shooting it more I will be back posting questions.