THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Selecting a Double: Brass Availability
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selecting a Double: Brass Availability
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How imortant of a consideration is availability of quality brass for making a decision on which chambering to buy a double in? For example, I think the .500 Nitro would be a good choice but not sure about the brass situation. Norma makes .470 Nito brass so it gives me the feeling of having a secure source of quality brass. Is there any merit to this criteria?

Thank you.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There is enough brass floating around to make either choice possible.

I perfer not the reload the thin rimmed 500 N.E. I also don't like to shoot the 500, but that's another story.

Places like Old Western Scrounger probably have plenty of brass for each. Truth of the matter is that unless you shoot it a bunch 100 rounds of brass will keep ya going.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The simple solution is to get a lifetime sypply of bras when you get your double.
How much depends on how many firings it will last and how much shooting you do.

I would start with 200 rounds of brass. Take 40 for load development, plinking, and local hunting. Use those 40 till you start to have failures, then you can make a plan on how many you need. I would take new cases to Africa the first time I took the double, and baised on yor experience with the rifle how many loadings you trust the brass for DG use.

Also bullets can me seasonal as well. I would have a minimum of 3 years supply, reordering when that supply is half gone.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Good advice from those above. I will add that the 500 should never present a concern with brass availability. Assuming you're buying a new gun with a CIP chamber, the rim dia, rim thickness, and body diameter are practically identical. Worst-case-scenario, you will always be able to make 500 3" cases from 470.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Does your view of not wanting to reload for the .500 NE because of thin rim also pertain to the .470 NE?

B

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that you better have that 500 case lubed. I've had to pound one out! That rim will peal right off and out of the shell holder!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Rusty learned to lube cases the hard way. Wink If you haven't had a stuck case before, then you just haven't been reloading long enough.

Buliwyf - there have historically been a few cartridges that were made in "thin" and "thick" rim variations, but that doesn't apply to a modern 470 or 500 - especially one with correct chamber dimensions. Both cartridges have the same thickness of rim.

Is there anything wrong with the 470/500 rim?

No.
But, comparatively speaking, there isn't much "rim" when compared proportionally to the surface area of one of these big cases. In other words, there's more surface area on the cartridge to get stuck if and when one does.

In short, there’s no need to give rim thickness of modern 470s or 500s anther thought; you’ll be just fine with either one.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuck case remover from RCBS $12.00. Mine is well used. Wink

Watching a guy try to get a stuck case removed without this $12.00 so easy a cave man could use it tool.

PRICELESS!! Big Grin

Reloaders if you don't have a stuck case remover, get one. It's one of those things that's so cheap and so easy to use that you are an idiot not to have one on the reloading bench. When you need it you need it real bad.