THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .375 Flanged Reloading Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Flanged Reloading Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Does anyone know if conventional belted .375 H&H reloading dies will work with the .375 flanged or do I have to buy a set of dies specifically for the .375 flanged?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
It will not work. The case is .090" longer than the belted H&H magnum.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Also when I needed them last year Huntington's had them in stock.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
And if Huntington's does not have them in stock any longer, RCBS had them to me in less than a week even though they are listed as "special order" and "6-8 weeks".

And if you can't the dies by the time you ahve your double or want to load up some stuff just to have, PM me your address and I will lend you mine until yours arrive.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
There are some really nice guys that shoot DR's,how many times have I seen offers to help a fellow shooter out,makes one feel good Smiler

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Dave at CH4D.. fast and better priced than many 'special' RCBS ones.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Don't forget Dave at CH4D.. fast and better priced than many 'special' RCBS ones.

I have a bunch of dies from CH4D and as Mike said - good prices for good dies. Nice folk on the phone if you have to call about something.

As an aside, I received my RCBS dies in 30R which were also listed as "Special Order, 6-8 weeks" 3 days after ordering them from RCBS.

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As an aside, I received my RCBS dies in 30R which were also listed as "Special Order, 6-8 weeks" 3 days after ordering them from RCBS.

Doc, it's the only set they ever made...they finally sold it! :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Was that the set they proto'd way back in the 70's and sat around for so long? Finally a sucker.... errr ahh I mean a buyer ..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they had to call in the EPA to vacuum the asbestos warehouse dust off of them!!! :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could just imagine that phone call..."You want 30 what?....Blaser?...could you hold a minute!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
HEY!!! Mad

What's wrong with the 70s? (I mean BEFORE Carter)? bewildered

And asbestos - ain't that the "magic mineral"? hilbily

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CCMDoc:
HEY!!! Mad

What's wrong with the 70s? QUOTE]

Nothing man! It quite Groovey! Lot'sa hippy chick and free loving! dancing

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I think you can use the same Lee Factory Crimp Die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I do have a Lee factory crimp die.

I stopped at Hornady yesterday, dropped off a round of Jamison brass. Ben is making me a shellholder and set of dies. Talked to Mitch and he said they were getting a lot of inquiries at the shows about the .375 flanged. Would not be surprised to see it in the Hornady lineup in the next year or two.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
If Hornady comes through that would be great news. Can never have too much in terms of brass.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
I do have a Lee factory crimp die.

I stopped at Hornady yesterday, dropped off a round of Jamison brass. Ben is making me a shellholder and set of dies. Talked to Mitch and he said they were getting a lot of inquiries at the shows about the .375 flanged. Would not be surprised to see it in the Hornady lineup in the next year or two.

A regular lee factory crip die wont work either. Unless you put a .090" spacer on top of the shell holder....I did that until my custom lee die came....

Mac

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
You just get an extra shell holder and JB weld one on.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
You just get an extra shell holder and JB weld one on.

I went the $25 route and got the correct die.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
At least for my .500 NE...which is a large series...they are more expensive than $25.00 for customs now. The .500 NE was about $75-80...IIRC.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least for my .500 NE...which is a large series...they are more expensive than $25.00 for customs now. The .500 NE was about $75-80...IIRC.

You are correct. If you need a Factory Crimp die on a 1 1/4" Die Body it is $80.00. If it can fit in a normal 7/8" die it is $25.00.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:

You are correct. If you need a Factory Crimp die on a 1 1/4" Die Body it is $80.00. If it can fit in a normal 7/8" die it is $25.00.

There you have it! Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been hounding the sales rep at Hornaday's SCI booth for the past three years. Many of my friends have the 375 Flanged and the difficulty getting quality brass has been a nightmare.

With the demise of Jamison, the sources are limited.

Norma had some on the market, and was fortunate to get a few hundred, and hopefully Hornady will make some runs of the Flanged.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote