Find
Notify
Tools

Norma 203B
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Tried out a few rounds of Norma 203B in the 450/400 3 inch today. Supposedly Norma's RL-15. I loaded the same weight load as RL-15 and used a foam filler. The load shot dead on at 50 yards, a bit slower than QuickLoad said it would, but very accurate. I'll bump it up a bit to see how that effects regulation in a couple of weeks.
My load is usually 62 grains of RL-15, foam plug and a 400 grain Hornady DGX drawn to .408 through a Corbin die. I just substituted 203B for the powder.

The Norma 203B dispenses uniformly and thrown weights were consistent. As with RL-15 the velocities were very close shot to shot.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rusty, any discernable difference in felt recoil? Missed you, I was out this morning too. Too pretty to stay inside.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike, I thought the recoil was just the same.
I have an extra pound if you'd like to try it out.

Yeah, I had to do the early news today, or I would have been out there with ya.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sure, bring it to the hoot and shoot and I will buy it from you. I might 'speriment a little in the .500 and see what it does. I love RL15 but it inconsistency lot-to-lot is a pain in the back side.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I am told that the Norma 203B is supposed to be more consistent lot to lot. We'll see.

How about lunch next week with Bob?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sounds good but the only day that works for me is Friday. Tuesday or Wednesday the following week work too. Let me know what works for you and Bob.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, beautiful day! Thought I might go out tomorrow to try the tar paper buff, but not sure of plans yet. I will be away Wed thru Sun of coming week, but in town Mon thru Thurs of the following.

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
Hey guys, beautiful day! Thought I might go out tomorrow to try the tar paper buff, but not sure of plans yet. I will be away Wed thru Sun of coming week, but in town Mon thru Thurs of the following.

Bob
I am planning to go out tomorrow and should arrive around 1 PM. Planning to test some .375 loads...Cliff

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Supposedly Norma's RL-15.

The Norma 203B dispenses uniformly and thrown weights were consistent. As with RL-15 the
velocities were very close shot to shot.

From what Ive heard:
Same manufacturer. the powder is made by Bofors in Sweden, then shipped in bulk to Norma. They then pressure tests it and sort it by consistency. The most consistent powder is poured into the familiar Norma boxes and the rest is used in their own ammo production.

Bofors also ships this powder in bulk to Alliant where its sold as RL15.
Its also sold in Europe as Rhino 15

Posts: 74 | Location: Norway | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
That is what I am told by Norma that RL-15 is just another Lot of 203B. Norma uses it in the factory and we buy it as RL-15 here.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

posted Hide Post
Thats also true for a lot of other Norma/Alliant powders.
like MRP/RL22, MRP2/RL25

Though I would not recommend using a max load in one of them as a starting load on in the other. Start a little lower and work your way back up.

Rhino 15 and N203B is supposed to be the same yet when I loaded them in my AR15 with 77gr Lapua Scenar, the R15 maxed out with less powder than 203B.
With the same load (23gr) R15 gave 50fps more.
So there are some pressure differences.

Posts: 74 | Location: Norway | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree completely. Caution is paramount, every time!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Thanks for the info on the Norma/Alliant powder issues, it's good to have other options. Especially when you can't find the R-15 the Norma 203B might be on the shelf.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote