New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lapua Mega 9.3mm bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any experience on game with Lapua Mega bullets? I'm especially interested in the 9.3mm. The Lapua site indicates the Mega is "mechanically bonded" rather than chemically bonded and that they open to about double their diameter. Sounds a lot like the Norma Oryx except for the type of bonding. Would these bullets be suitable for plains game up to and including Eland? My impression from this forum is that the Norma Oryx in 9.3 mm is too soft for reliable penetration on game as large as Eland.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the risk of offending the Lapua aficionados I daresay the Mega is not much of a bullet.
It's rather soft, and the jacket becoming separated from the core is not uncommon.
It's suitable for light game (I've had good results on roe, as have my friends); but not really for larger. On Scandinavian moose it is too soft. So I wouldn't take it on eland.

However, the Naturalis bullet by Lapua has an outstanding reputation on all game!
Especially the moose hunters here love it, and also on wild boar it's proved to be potent medicine.
With the Naturalis being available, I see no reason on earth to buy Megas.
Then, again, you may want to have a look at the discussion of monometals in doubles...

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote