New
Find
Notify
Tools

failed ejector???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been shooting my Searcy BSS 470 a lot, as I'm leaving for Mozambique Wednsday. Last session today, before cleaning and packing everything. The left ejector just stopped working. I can live with this for the trip, as there is still functional extraction, but I was wondering what would create this condition, and if there might be a ready fix.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a ejector hammer spring that let go, or the cocking lever for that side broke! If so, what I would do is, remove both ejector springs, and go with extractors! You don't have the time to have the ejectors fixed! If you call Butch he might walk you through the process, or may have a pair of the springs he can get to you on over night mail, but I doubt he will have tem for the old BSS doubles.

Good luck

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other suggestion - make sure your clean both sides of the ejector mechanism (and make sure the sliding parts are oiled).

There is a LOT of carbon buildup, and you need to pay extra attention to those areas.

And make sure you are using an extreme low and high temp lube. I use Tetra, which is good to 100 below and up to, as I recall 450.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote