THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    "Tie on" English style rifle sling knot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Tie on" English style rifle sling knot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What knot was used to tie the subject slings to the two O rings (front of foreend and buttstock) on British double rifles? I am interested in knowing what the original time period knot was, not what type of knots that are used today. I do not recall ever seeing a photo of an original sling knot of the period, although there must be some.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only know of one knot for these. It was shown to me by an ex-game ranger(?) and PH. It's a three wrap 'clinch knot'. You can see it on Trader Keith's web-site. Look on their 'Trader's Secrets' tab. They also sell the appropriate slings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just use a triple blood knot / barrel / climbers knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRfjF5TcQbw

Posts: 984 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen;

Your kind suggestions of knots is much appreciated.

However, I am in search of historical evidence of a knot that was actually tied by users of "tie on" rifle slings in the past. For sake of this subject, evidence of such a knot on a double rifle or single/bolt rifle before WWII will suffice.

It occurred to me that I should explain why I want to learn what type of knot DR shooters used with tie on slings back in the days of significant African/Indian shooting. It seems to me that African/Indian shooters during the period of the English colonial rule of the late 19th and first half of the 20th century would likely have used the typical oak/leather DR cases to carry their DR's and as a result they would have wanted to quickly untie the knots (or at least the barrel knot) as they placed the DR barrel and the buttstock in the case. Hence my desire to learn what knots were used. I suspect several knots may have been used.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote