THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Dumb Question: Sledgehammers/Lead Core
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb Question: Sledgehammers/Lead Core
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Do the Trophy Bonded Sledgehammers have a lead core and if so are they considered safe for limited use in a double? Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Not a dumb question. In fact, it is difficult to get a straight answer on this.

Here's how federal describes it:

quote:
Use it on the largest, most dangerous game in the world. This Jack Carter design maximizes stopping power and your confidence. It's a bonded bronze solid with a flat nose that minimizes deflection off bone and muscle for a deep, straight wound channel.

Now, Federal calls it a "solid" and sells it as such. But it's words like "Jack Carter design" and "Bonded" that make one wonder-what is the bronze bonded to? Lead? Copper?

Maybe we can get new_guy to avoid cutting his fingers off and sending one through the bandsaw.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They indeed are a bonded lead core bullet. Robertson's latest book has a cross section pic of one, and nearly every other DG bullet you can think of.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Mike I've shot about 100 rounds of these solids through my Merkel 140-2 Safari double, with out incident! My rifle has killed two Elephant, and four Cape Buffalo useing them, not by me, but by the previous owner, and they worked fine for him as well.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. My .470 Wm Evans is regulated for Federal factory ammo with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw SPs. I loaded some rounds today with 87.5 grains RL15, Kynoch foam wad, F215M with the TBBC SPs and it shoots very well -- eight shots into a couple of inches at 50 yards. Wanted to try some of the Sledgehammers, but wanted to confirm the lead core first. Damn, the Sledgehammers are expensive, over $100 for 25 on Midway. Ugh.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote