THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    1930s Westley Richards accuracy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1930s Westley Richards accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Has anyone experienced a Westley Richards that was not of acceptable accuracy?
Regards,
Adam

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
No, but I've only shot one. Any rifle could shoot well or poor depending on the load used and how will it regulates..........not to mention the condition of the gun, any mucking with the gun that has changed original regulation, and the quality of original regulation. I'm not sure that you can count on one maker regulating any better than another, but then again I could be proven wrong.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Looking to buy a Westley?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In the beginning any vintage double rifle regardless of make, that was made very early in the development of smokeless powders and especially Cordite is likely to be a little touchy about finding a proper load that will shoot to the regulation. Modern made doubles that were made after the powders we have today are more forgiving so are easier, most times, to find a regulating load. The vintage double is also less likely to shoot new factory ammo well. This is why I have always said a new guy to double rifles or even the old hand with them, to get the absolute best from his double must hand-load for it.

The reason for this is even if you find the exact velocity that was the original velocity with the same weight bullet it still may not shoot properly. This is because one powder may develop the velocity quicker, causing a quicker recoil flip, while the older powder may have been a longer progressive build up of speed exiting the muzzles later or earlier.
....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a boxlock Westley Richards in .375 flanged, made in 1910 I think it was, that consistently shoots spread of 1 1/2 to 2 inches, virtually horizontally @ 50 yards and beyond for as long as you care to shoot it, until it gets boring! Its regulation is among best in my collection, and among best I have ever seen.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
The reason for this is even if you find the exact velocity that was the original velocity with the same weight bullet it still may not shoot properly. This is because one powder may develop the velocity quicker, causing a quicker recoil flip, while the older powder may have been a longer progressive build up of speed exiting the muzzles later or earlier.

Well said Mac,that explains why R15 does not always work in the older guns but 4831 will.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jack, your words carry plenty of weight with me. Any chance we could see an image of the .375 Flanged -- stuff of dreams?

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
In the beginning any vintage double rifle regardless of make, that was made very early in the development of smokeless powders and especially Cordite is likely to be a little touchy about finding a proper load that will shoot to the regulation. Modern made doubles that were made after the powders we have today are more forgiving so are easier, most times, to find a regulating load. The vintage double is also less likely to shoot new factory ammo well. This is why I have always said a new guy to double rifles or even the old hand with them, to get the absolute best from his double must hand-load for it.

Very well done Mac.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply guys.
My concern is, I will unlikely be able to fire this rifle before purchase and although I'm prepared to build up loads, I just don't know if accuracy with WR is most often achievable.
I have heard of some other English brands that have rifles out there that aren't great with accuracy.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Adam what sort of WR have you been looking at?????????????

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
My concern is, I will unlikely be able to fire this rifle before purchase.....

You can't have an inspection period?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, But the rifle is over seas which make it a problem for me to try out.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
What is it?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Adam, I saw the Add and what concerns me is that it has been rebuilt but they haven't got a test target????very strange

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ozhunter,

I have had three WR doubles over the years. Two were 470s and one was a 450/400. Two were accurate and well regulated with pre-WWII Kynoch ammo as well as easy to develope a hand load for. The third was an older rifle that as it turned out, someone that didn't know what he was doing tried to re-regulate and mucked it up. Another potential problem with older doubles is that the hinge pin may be worn and it will be lose on the face. That can also muck up regulation and/or accuracy. A third potential problem is that if the rifle has seen a lot of use in the field the right barrel may be worn a lot more than the left. In this case regulation is normally still pretty good but the accuracy of the right barrel may be considerably less than the left.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote